NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Windsor vs PCM

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 1:03pm
Pete, those are bmfrs, I bought a hit charger rt with the hemi, slow on the roll but after that the afterburners kick, all aluminum block, heads, real light, real fast, chrysler did a fine job building this one
"the things you own will start to own you"
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 1:52pm
bmfrs?? Big MF'rs? Yes, Pete's right though, that Chrysler did use the 460 once they quit building the 440's. Those were built/sold during Chrysler's last few years before the government bail-out mandated that they drop the marine division back in 93-94??

I'm with Eric on the desire to see a marine 5.7 or 6.1 Hemi. I'd be surprised if the innovative folks at Indmar hadn't at least put together a prototype. Was it them that built a few Caddy Northstars?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 2:59pm
Reid, I believe you are correct that Indmar built those Northstars for a few years for Mastercraft. They also currently have a 383 stroker (6.2 stroked from a 5.7) at 400 hp, which seems to me would be a torqier engine than a 6.0. And they made an LS1 for Malibu which was a very enxpensive Corvette engine that was light and fast on the top end, although interestingly, my friend the Malibu salesman told me they weren't nearly as durable as a 5.7. He said they didn't like to run WFO for very long. I guess they would burn valves pretty easily.

Speaking of Indmar... does anyone know what carb this is? It is a duel feed and seems bigger than a 4160. I haven't seen them in any Holley catalogs.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 4:34pm
i did see one on top of the 460 but made the guy take it back, i believe it was a 600cfm or 650 with 2 accelerator pumps and the 460 couldnt handle that initial blast, you would have to feather it until you were up on top.
Reid bad mother fkr
"the things you own will start to own you"
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 8:38pm
You guys are posting some great specs and info on here. You guys ruffled even the "Main Man".. Mr Lavine.. I am a Ford guy for marine, Chevy or Chrylser can not match what Ford can do with marine motors. My opinion though. The old style big blocks Fords where King, and think why have most of these new v-drives choose 6.0 vortec motors know. Malibu, and MasterCraft, i think put chevys in them know. I will stay with Ford in my boat..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 8:42pm
Bruce,
Nice motor..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2010 at 6:33pm
Yes Lee, that is a good looking motor Bruce posted there, but I'm sure you'll agree that a nice 390 makes for a better viewing experience. I can't wait to see Bruce's 390. But wait, we're trying to sell you on sticking with a Windsor aren't we. Well with the valve cover adaptors, a Windsor can look just about like this 390 here.    

ReidP
1973 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2010 at 6:52pm
Darn Reid, where was that first picture a few weeks ago? That pic should have made the calender! I've got to talk to you about that blower. I thought Classics had no ventilation, but I see you have some.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2010 at 7:46pm
Bruce,
So you are saying the 351 can look like that one.. I wish! I love those 390's.. Love that interceptor..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2010 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Darn Reid, where was that first picture a few weeks ago? That pic should have made the calender! I've got to talk to you about that blower. I thought Classics had no ventilation, but I see you have some.

Thanks Bruce, but the vinyl floor and center beam were just too dirty. Maybe we can try again for next years calender. Our Classic has the exhaust blower, but no forced or passive intake on the deck. Air can however, enter the bilge or engine compartment thru the engine box scoop.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2010 at 7:50pm
Excuse me, I meant Reid..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2010 at 11:00pm
Lee,
I've got to warn you about those HP decals Reid puts on his engines. His printer will put any number he wants on them!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2010 at 11:27pm
pete,
lol.. looks good though if he did..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2010 at 11:38pm
I can remeber those days of the sound and power of the 390, and the night cruises with Glenn Miller.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 10:51am
Lee, You're a little confused. It's Pete Brainard and his Grey Marine that used to cruise to Glenn Miller. That was way before Reid's and my time. 390's go with Beach Boys and the Daytonas.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 11:17am
Bruce,
Yes sir.. Those beach boys are great to an evening cruise. I think too, after you guys posted all your pics and specs, I guess I will be a Windsor guy, and stay away from Indmar and Cleveland.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Speaking of Indmar... does anyone know what carb this is? It is a duel feed and seems bigger than a 4160. I haven't seen them in any Holley catalogs.

Could be an earlier model or derrivitive of this, prior to the plastic accel pump levers...
http://www.holley.com/0-9022.asp
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 12:09pm
4150 holley "double pumper" a little longer due to the added metering block between rear bowl and base. Could be any cfm small or large, a little more tuning capabilities
Brian
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

4150 holley "double pumper" a little longer due to the added metering block between rear bowl and base. Could be any cfm small or large, a little more tuning capabilities

Or it could be a 4160 with a rear metering block conversion kit. Looks the same on that side! The other side would show vaccuum secondaries (or lack thereof) and would confirm.

Bruce, the 750cfm and larger 4160/4150's have the dual feed like the carb pictured. We've got a 750cfm 4160 (converted metering block) on the BFN.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 12:27pm
I agree,just made the assumption
Brian
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 1:09pm
I don't have a picture of the other side, but wouldn't a 750cfm be too large for a 5.7 GM? I wondered if it was a specially made 600cfm for Malibu. The intake seems to be specially made as it has their name on it. I don't know if it's aluminum or not. They put a rubbery paint on their engines and cover everything up. I used to think those plastic Corvette valve covers looked good, but they're not nearly as good looking as those chrome ones on that 390.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 1:13pm
Bruce, its most likely a 750cfm or larger- Ive never seen a 600cfm with the dual feed. That is on the large side for a 350, though not out of the question if its a good breathing engine. If its a 383 or LS engine, that would explain it too.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 1:23pm
Holley web site you'll see the 600 4150 is a dual feed

Tim headers?

Brian
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 2:04pm
That's the carb on our Sportster. It's a 310hp 5.7 Vortec.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

Holley web site you'll see the 600 4150 is a dual feed

Tim headers?

Ahh, that must be it then. I didnt realize there was such an animal. thats probably what you have, Bruce.

Nice headers. We're looking for some for the BFN now... looks like those would have some motorbox clearance issues though!
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 3:26pm
Unless its an illusion? Best I can think is to have him bolt one up and get a measurement from c/l of engine and up from base of cyl head to top. I think they were on an 80s Baja and are basset (I think) I knew you were looking for a set and will let you know what I find out as I would like a set as well but I beleive the flange would be bakards on mine? Have you got a price on hiteks for your app? sorry for the threadjack, Tim if you want to email me directly its in my diary
Brian
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 3:56pm
Brian, Im not sure about the flange being backwards... I guess its possible if it came out of a jetboat or I/O instead of a v-drive. I hadnt thought about that before! Nice catch.

Let me know what you find out about those. Seems like a lot of the jet's and v-drives used dry headers (sometimes theyre "water injected") rather than fully jacketed like we would want. These appear to be the latter, while I think Bassets are generally dry or injected. I do think those look exceptionally tall though, and probably wont work for either of us... no motorbox clearance issues for the jetboat crowd!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 2:58pm
Wow,   Reids pic reminded me of one I almost bought back in the early 80's. 1967 19' Resorter w/ 427 Int.
Had two nice fork lift holes in the transom. Green/Silver interior.
Boat sold for 700.   Ouch!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic