Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine won't start when hot???

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
newoldboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newoldboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine won't start when hot???
    Posted: January-28-2010 at 10:16pm
I am having trouble figuring out why my 90 Sn will not start when it is hot. The boat starts well at the ramp with one pump of the throttle and runs very well while wakeboarding. When we stop to switch riders and shut the boat off it will not restart unless we wait 15-20 minutes. The engine is at proper operating temp and if I look down into the carb there is plenty of fuel when I open the butterfly. The only thing I can think of is that the spark is weak and will not fire the engine when the plugs are wet. I removed the distributor and disassembled but I know very little about the points setup. I would like to get a dui electronic distributor but don't have the cash. I looked at the mallory electronic conversion on skidim and I would appreciate any advice on the subject.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2010 at 10:20pm
protec?
"the things you own will start to own you"
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2010 at 11:10pm
Where are you?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newoldboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2010 at 11:12pm
sorry if I sound dumb here but what do you mean by protec. The engine is a pcm 351 with a prestolite distributor. I have read that the pionts should open up to .018 but mine dousn't open up anywhere near that. Maybe .005
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2010 at 11:18pm
I asked where you are because if it is hot where you are it could be vapor lock. I can't imagine it is hot enough right now for that to happen anywhere in the U.S. other than Miami.

Another issue could be your cables. I have heard that old, corroded or brittle cables won't handle the current as well when the motor is hot. That is something that could be easy and inexpensive to check.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newoldboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2010 at 11:41pm
I'm in Ft Myers Fl. The last time I used the boat was in dec. It was around 80 degrees. I need to replace the wires because when I was setting the timing they shocked theh crap out of me when turning the distributor. I will order a new set but I am still unsure what to do with the distributor. Order a tune up with new points/condensor or get the electronic conversion. I thought of vapor lock but there is plenty of fuel coming into the carb when you open the throttle.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 12:37am
Originally posted by newoldboat newoldboat wrote:

Order a tune up with new points/condensor or get the electronic conversion.

You will get answers to support both options. I like points/condensor as they are easy to adjust and maintain. Same holds true for the conversion but no adjustment. A failure of the conversion does leave you stranded. I experienced a conversion failure last year and as a result decided to replace my distributor with a new Mallory electronic.

My suggestion is to stick with points/condenser and replace those faulty wires.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 9:05am
Joe, bring it to the river run. Odds are 1 or 2 guys with a wrench will show!

Otherwise, you should have a screw on the base plate of those points to set the gap. I'd also check the timing.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 10:15am
Joe,
I've got to be blunt here! You've admitted that your background is weak with the distributor and the dwell (point gap) is off. You need some help. Greg's idea of bringing the boat over to the river run is fantastic. Some of our best "wrenchs" will be there and I'm sure they would love to help out. With help, watch and learn. Nothing wrong with that plus you'll meet some fantastic people!

The no start when warm problem may also indicate it time for a carb rebuild. Check for gas dribbling down the throat when you shut down the engine. It "chokes" the engine when not needed. If you open the throttle all the way and crank it, will it start? You're giving the engine more air to overcome the excess fuel that dribbled in.

BTW, I'm one of the "keep the point set" people. No conversions or go all the way with a DUI distributor.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 10:35am
Joe - .005 is not even close for dwell. The timing must be way off too. Fix the obvious things 1st before you tear into the carb or buy a new dizzy.

Put in new points as long as you are messing with it. Set gap, timing, idle speed, & idle mixture & it will probably run like a top!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 10:35am
when this occurs, if the engine is spinning at the same rate when it's cold and your starting at the ramp, it's flooding most likely. If it is dragging and spinning slower or hesitates for a second then its the distrubutor, but get the mallory E-spark conversion and save the old points and condensor for an emergency out on the water.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 2:29pm
joe
correct me but you went through a stringer job in this one? if so how did it finally turn out?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 2:49pm
I agree with the above- it sounds like its flooding after shutting down when warm.

FYI Protec didnt debut until 1991.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newoldboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2010 at 11:06am
Thanks for all the feedback. The carb has been rebuilt in the last year and no the engine won't start if you hold it open. I used to be able to drain both bowls on the carb and it would then restart but lately this hasn't been working. I can't wait to figure this out because it is a pain in the ass getting into a wakeboard while breathing exhaust fumes. Where/when is the river run your talking about. I can't find any info about it on the site. Kapla, the stringer job is done and turned out very well even though I think I put enough foam in it to float the boat without a drain plug in. I will post some pictures soon.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2010 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by newoldboat newoldboat wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback. The carb has been rebuilt in the last year and no the engine won't start if you hold it open. I used to be able to drain both bowls on the carb and it would then restart but lately this hasn't been working.   

Draining the bowls on the carb was telling me the engine was flooded. Did you use this method before or after the carb rebuild? Who did the rebuild?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2010 at 2:49pm
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newoldboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2010 at 6:40pm
I did the rebuild on the carb. What would make it flood? I had alot of trouble with the carb before and after the rebuild trying to get the float levels correct. The engine would stumble under acceleration but when I adjusted the floats a little higher It would flood the engine. I thought I finally had it right because the boat runs well but apparently not if it is the problem now.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2010 at 6:51pm
When the motor is hot, up to temp. Open the motor box and take the arrestor off. Turn off the motor and look down in the carb.
Does fuel continue to flow into the carb ? If so, it is flooding.
If not, it is something else. It is really easy to see the fuel continue to flow in the carb if it is indeed flooding.
If flooding, I would check Float levels again.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newoldboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 12:53am
If I look down into the carb when having this problem the manifold is wet but fuel is not still running in. I am going to order a full tune up kit from skidim and recheck the timing. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks!
Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 3:46pm
I had the same issue last year as well, with my 351w motor. Would start up fine and idle perfectly until it got to temp for say 15-20min then it would have a hell of a time re-starting. I don't have points anymore completely electronic ignition, new wires, fresh carb. We did some metering and found that the coil would only get 9ish volts during crank, and about 6v when running. Which is fine/normal. But as stated before when the wires get warm they have a hard time conducting the current to the plugs. First change the wires, and maybe the cap, if you getting shocked when adjusting the timing it could be either one.
I ran a wire with a diode, to stop return voltage, to the + side of the coil in a such a way so it will only see 12v during crank. Then when the key is set to "RUN" it will go back to the 6-9v or so.
The coil cannot be ran at 12v all the time or it will burn up.
Hope this helps some, may not be your problem but something to look into.
Ryan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Ryan351w Ryan351w wrote:

I had the same issue last year as well, with my 351w motor. Would start up fine and idle perfectly until it got to temp for say 15-20min then it would have a hell of a time re-starting. I don't have points anymore completely electronic ignition, new wires, fresh carb. We did some metering and found that the coil would only get 9ish volts during crank, and about 6v when running. Which is fine/normal. But as stated before when the wires get warm they have a hard time conducting the current to the plugs. First change the wires, and maybe the cap, if you getting shocked when adjusting the timing it could be either one.
I ran a wire with a diode, to stop return voltage, to the + side of the coil in a such a way so it will only see 12v during crank. Then when the key is set to "RUN" it will go back to the 6-9v or so.
The coil cannot be ran at 12v all the time or it will burn up.
Hope this helps some, may not be your problem but something to look into.
Ryan

well your a little off all most all conversion kits want to see 12V read the instructions that came with it, while points require 9V.. the coil doesn't care how much voltqage it see's it's not going to burn up as you state. The electronics and points inside of the dist is what matters and if they are not designed to see 12V a ballast resistor is used to drop the voltage.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 9:31pm
I can vouch for Chris (79Nautique). I put in EI last year & left the ballast resistor in at first.   I got the dizzy 'New Obsolete' from Ebay & it didn't come with instructions.

After getting advice from this forum, I took the resistor out & it does run better without it.

From what I understand, the electronics will limit the coil current in place of the ballast resistor.    It also allows full current flow at high speed.

With a points system, the coil can get overheated at idle due to long current dwell, which is why you need a resistor.   At higher speeds, the resistor is a disadvantage because the coil doesn't have the long current dwell (& doesn't overheat), but since it is there it still limits current flow thru the coil.   Or do I have this bacerds Chris?

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 10:53pm
I used the Mallory E-spark optical. I have it for almost a year and it works fine. But my problem was that the boat was shutting down when it was hot. After replacing the module the problem was there. After some reading I staterd looking into the coil since it was the only thing I haven't changed. I put an MSD coil, the solid one, Chris recommended it. It runs great and no problems. I don't know if your boat has a coil since I don't know what you have. If you do I read that coils can be tapped with the back of a screw drive making them fail right away. I changed the resistor also to match the coil, just in case.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 10:40am
The E-spark unit I believe is one that does require a resistor, But again each one is a little different so you need to double check and read the instructions that came with it.

Also if your coil has a built-in resistor and your using a ballast resistor too that's not good and the ballast needs by-passed. Coils are of two types, resistor and non-resistor.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 2:12pm
Good point Chris,
I had an E-Spark and a Coil with resistor so I needed to bypass my ballast resistor.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

Good point Chris,
I had an E-Spark and a Coil with resistor so I needed to bypass my ballast resistor.

YES if your coil has an internal resistor then you don't need the ballast resistor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newoldboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 8:51pm
I recieved the new wires and tune up kit for the distributor today. I won't really know if it solved the problem until I get it on the water, I'll definetly let everyone know how it works out. Thanks for all the advice.
HzSandman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HzSandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 9:15pm
I'm interested to find out how you go as I'm having the same issue with my 89. Starts great when cold, but if you shut it down whilst changing riders, I have to hold the throttle wide open to get it to start. From the previous posts its indicating its flooding, but will need to confirm this when I take it out next. I've ordered a swag of parts from skidim including new leads and a tune up kit so will fit those aswell.

It would not suprise me if the carb needs a freshen up as on 2 recent occasions something on the carb is sticking open and wont go back to idle. When this occured I put it in neutral and disconnected the throttle cable from the carb and it still was around 2000rpm. So eliminating a stuck throttle cable. Not sure if its the choke or throttle shaft sticking, but moving the shaft back by hand solved the problem both times.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 9:23pm
This is an easy one , your choke is sticking!!
HzSandman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HzSandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 9:27pm
Well that was easy then....thanks. Whats the fix for it as it isn't happening all the time, twice in about 50hours?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic