NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2122232425 31>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

the only 70 mark these boats are going to see is buying a new one lol,
looking good Tim

I believe the above statement is referring to this boat...

It now belongs to his son, I talked to him about it a while back. Nice guy, I think he visits the site every once in a while.

Any Youtube video of this boat? I'd love to see how much hull is actually in the water at 70. I figured the water pick-up would be out of the water. Here's a question, that engine looks pretty stock, what the heck makes it so fast? Is the HP known?

Tim, you will definitely have the fastest BFN in Correct Craft history. Although, what's the top end of Eddie's Python BFN?

The obvious is the ignition system and the NOT so obvious is the nitrous bottle. I have no idea what the internals look like.

That boat is no longer set up to run crazy fast, Bill gave or sold the boat to his son and took off all the goodies.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2011 at 3:09pm
Tim, sorry to clobber up your thread with talk of the 70mph legend. If I remember correctly, it had a custom cam and a shot of nos. It has been scaled back since being given to the son so I'm sure we will never see 70mph again.    
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 1:32pm
Tim Good morning! where did ya get the 4in tips for the bfn? im going to put them on my 75 sep project, do to replacing cast manifolds with alum ones with 4 in exhaust. thx Jeff
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 3:58pm

If I remember correctly, it had a custom cam and a shot of nos. It has been scaled back since being given to the son so I'm sure we will never see 70mph again.    

It would take quite a bit more than a custom cam and a shot of nitrous to push that boat to 70mph! Like Alan said, the engine details were never shared- but you can see the big (750+ CFM) carb, fancy ignition system, etc. I believe Bill sold off a few of the props he used too- small diameter 2 and 3-blade steel wheels, if I remember correctly. I would expect that he probably tweaked the hull too- and maybe the engine placement, driveshaft angle, etc. Probably a moot point now since all the goodies are gone and that boat will never be the same again... though it would be nice to hear some theories on what it would take to push a CC hull that fast.

Jeff, both Rex and Eddie Marine sell 4" SS tips.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2011 at 4:41pm
sc 750
"the things you own will start to own you"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 5:11pm
We'll be dethawed next month, how's that bilge looking?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 5:34pm
dethaw...funny word. I was going to pick on you and say "dethaw...is that like freezing?" Then I remembered we always hear about people dethawing turkeys. Which led me to research the topic a bit.

From the Urban Dictionary...

dethaw   
A confusing conjunction of "defrost" and "thaw". Has a corresponding etymology to unthaw. Literally it means to refreeze, however, it has never actually been used correctly in conversation. Ever. In fact, it is always used to mean the opposite- a synonym for thaw. Just say thaw, not dethaw, not unthaw, just thaw.
You have to dethaw the turkey in the microwave before putting it in the oven.

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 5:56pm
looks like the "newspeak" on George Orwell´s "1984" Book..LOL..
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 6:43pm
Id say the bilge is pretty much wrapped up, thanks for your concern.

We've been slacking in recent weeks. Ive been busy shoveling snow and dad had shoulder surgery. The next step is to get the carpet rough cut... I just need a clean place to roll it out.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 1:15pm
Bump, how about some photo updates. Can't wait to see how this one turns out
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2011 at 1:05pm
hey tim,going back a little w/my question but iwas at the boat show last weekend and got to see a sample of coosa(which the guy pronounced cooska?).i was wondering if you did anything or plan to do anything special in regards to the mounting to your swim platform?in joes thread he mentioned it stripped easily when installing the floor.iam sure you have a plan,i apoligize if i missed it.thanks

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2011 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by bbishop1974 bbishop1974 wrote:

hey tim,going back a little w/my question but iwas at the boat show last weekend and got to see a sample of coosa(which the guy pronounced cooska?).i was wondering if you did anything or plan to do anything special in regards to the mounting to your swim platform?in joes thread he mentioned it stripped easily when installing the floor.iam sure you have a plan,i apoligize if i missed it.thanks

Were you able to hook up with the other CCF guys? The Boston boat show is always a good time- wish I didnt have to miss it this year.

I didnt specifically discuss what we did on the platform brackets, but you can see some of the work we did on the transom. We added coosa backers (which were bedded down and then glassed in with cloth and biax) everywhere hardware came through- which includes the platform bracket bolts and exhaust tips. The original configuration did not have any backers at all, with 2 bolts at the top and a single screw at the bottom. We drilled out the bottom hole in the bracket to 3/8" and used the same bolts for all 3. We put decent sized fender washers on all of them.

Its worth noting that the factory lags did not just lag into the fiberglass- but also the foam that was behind it. By leaving the pockets in the rear, we're able to access all the hardware that you couldnt with the factory set up.

As far as screwing into Coosa goes, we havent done any of that yet. The entire structure has been glassed and/or bedded together with thickened resin. We did glass the underside of all the floor panels, with extra layers around the front section where the seat frames will secure. Coosa does not hold a screw like wood, but laminating both sides will help them hold.
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2011 at 3:20pm
thanks tim,i knew you had a solid plan.as for the boat show i went early with my dad,only see him a couple times ayear.very crowded compared to couple years ago.boats always=good time
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 1:36pm
We've made a little bit of progress over the last few weeks, and I finally managed to take some pictures yesterday.

I was able to find a well used/rotten/broken fiberglass seat pedestal from Christine's. It was exactly what I was looking for- a little bit of grinding, followed by glass and reinforcement will make this much stronger than it was originally. Once I fair out the top side, Ill gelcoat it white.

Cracks/damage ground out, holes filled, glassed from behind:

Reinforced with (bedded) coosa:

Glassed over:

We also spent some time building the side pockets. The new ones will be all fiberglass and coosa, rather than wood. They will be glassed to the boat prior to carpeting. The original driver's side pocket was used as a template, and like I mentioned earlier, we're adding a second mirrored pocket on the observer's side, just like Grinch did. Both will get cupholders.

Assembled and bedded:

Glassed on the back side:

We're still toying with how we're going to finish mounting the gas tank, but we've got it started.

The cradle is also in. We also test fit the pylon one last time and drilled out the 4 holes at the baseplate.

The control cables, steering cable and wiring harness have been fed through the conduit. The bracket we're using for the steering clamp block still needs to be finished, but its close. Had an issue with the longer throw cable- it extends past the end of the clamp tube before it hits the positive stop. Im guessing I may need a longer clamp tube for the oddball cable? The one in there now is the standard 10.5" one... anyone have a 2001 ('82-90) apart that could check how long theirs is? I may need to put a call in to Woody.

Also, the majority of the carpet glue has been scraped off the walls and the carpet has been rough cut. Once the pockets are glassed in, carpet will go in next.

Oh, and one thing that surprised us. We removed the vinyl from the motorbox, as we need to widen it to fit over the new manifolds. We discovered that it is not a bare glass box, but actually gelcoat (white)! This seems very strange to me, as this box was specific to the BFN, and Ive never seen a bare box in one of these. The vinyl covered box that was in my Ski Tique was not gelcoated under the vinyl... weird. The plan right now is to split and widen the box, plus make it a few inches taller. Instead of recovering it right away, we're going to try to match the gel and run it bare for a while.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 1:44pm
Amazing. Is GL a realistic target?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Amazing. Is GL a realistic target?

Geez, I sure hope so. I was thinking we're only a few weeks away, even at our snails pace.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 2:07pm
Green Lake 2011? Don't hold your breath Joel, 81nautique's Hurricane will have a stack of of Best In Show plaques and Aspen will be skiing behind bkhallpass's 82 Ski Nautique before this thing gets done.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 12:34am
Electric engines will be the trend before Tim and his Dad are done. They'll be dropping a 1.21 giggawatt motor in it to complete the job.

Seriously though, looks great, Tim.

Ken
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 12:50am
Benj love the cradel! blue looks great.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2011 at 8:18pm
Ken, Hollywood, relax. We'll finish this boat when we're good and ready!

Today I spoke with Woody (SECC), Luke (N3) and Tommy (White Lake) about my steering cable / clamp tube issue. They all thought I was crazy! (Just like I thought I was when the end of the cable fell out of the tube at full travel.)   HOWEVER, David from White Lake was able to confirm that Correct Craft made longer clamp tubes for the long throw cables ('82-90). Teleflex called me back and confirmed that CC made them in house. At least Im not crazy! Unfortunately, that's a custom CC part that is NLA. One more call to Don in FL and he's got a used longer (13" vs. 10.5") clamp tube headed my way. Another hurdle cleared.

Don also mentioned that he made the same cable swap on his '79 BFN... which, by the way, has a 460 capable of pushing the boat to 55mph. Pretty cool!
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2011 at 1:28am
Guess who dropped by tonight. Uncle Todd... What a treat for me. I can say for sure the whole Benjamin family has the C.C. bug BAD.
bj
hasbeenskier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2011 at 11:05am
Ha, pretty cool BJ. Yup, I was afflicted from an early age... there was never much hope for me!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 2:02pm
We spent a little time last night shaping the pockets and stripping the motorbox.

Trimmed up:

Test Fit, port side:

Test fit, starboard side:

Test fit with seats in place:

Gelcoat motorbox, most of the foam backing and glue removed... the plan is to hit it with a buffer to clean it up before splitting it.

We measured the engine last night and I think widening the box by 3" should give us plenty of breathing room. I'll have to scroll through some pictures, but I'm thinking that raising it 1-2" is a good idea, as well.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 2:41pm
Tim, What's the plan for the pockets? Are you going to cut some portholes in them and have a little storage in the lower half?

ps. Nice shiny cradle,
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 2:54pm
Ha, thanks Alan.

I was considering putting in a small cubby in at least one of the pockets, but now Im not so sure. We're putting in 2 cupholders per side, so that should offer *some storage*. If I were to add one, Id need to worry about the finish inside there- and Id rather not worry about carpeting or gelcoating that area.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 3:08pm
those look like nice speaker boxes to me.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 3:11pm

those look like nice speaker boxes to me.

Ha, the only speakers this boat will have are the 4" ones coming out of the transom!

If we ever do add a stereo someday, it will be more easily reversible- like being hung from the underside of the gunnel. What would late 70's speaker grills have looked likeanyways? Does this seem right? Pete?

Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 4:05pm
Engine is all you should need to listen to in that classic.

"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 6:12pm
I've got a set of old studio speakers from the 70's in my new pad at the farm. Goes along with the green shag carpet upstairs.

They would rock...a litte big for one of the boats tho.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 6:26pm
What's up with the fishing seat, where'd the fiberglass pedestal go?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2122232425 31>
  Share Topic