NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1920212223 31>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2010 at 11:26am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim,
No matter what Eric say's, we're cool! I'm very happy to do it. Well, you had just better make it to GL this year! We all missed you! The wedding's not going to get in the way is it?

Pete, I really do appreciate it. Like I said, getting these cut down was something I had considered, but I was concerned about how they would come out... thats not an issue now- theyre in good hands!

GL is a definite. Whose wedding are we talking about anyways?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2010 at 11:53am
thats what friends are for, ive even seen a few cat fights along the way
"the things you own will start to own you"
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2010 at 11:39pm
I'm a brand Newbie poster but have been into the web site for years and picked up 3 boats through it. I've been into Correct Crafts since 1968, with a personal involvement with at least 9. I attended the 2009 NE reunion with 2 boats and took home an award for the position just higher than the "Best Bilge.

Tim, Those exhaust tips look unbelievable, really a nice touch job and professional job from the support staff 0n the Web site. They are really sparkly, but I'm think'in Melissa had a different sparkly gift in mind for her under the tree!!

I'll get an up close and personal tour at Christmas and am sure to be impressed. It is one of a kind (as you only have)and will definitely be worth the effort and wait.

Thanks to you and Keith for the help with the web site.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2010 at 11:39am
You say "really sparkly" to Tim and his immediate response is "Oh yeah, LED lights for the trailer...good idea."
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2010 at 8:24pm
Ha, thanks Uncle Todd- glad to see you all registered up.

Not to worry, Im sure that these tips will be plenty sparkly, even for Melissa!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2010 at 9:05pm
Tim, when's everything going to go back in the boat? Motor done yet?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2010 at 9:19pm
Chris, the hardware is going on this week. The new strut took a bit of tweaking, but now its good to go. The holes are drilled for the fins, tips, bow eye, hull drain, rudder port and platform brackets. We just need to do a little bit of filling (thickened resin) from the bottom around the rudder port and a few other places before everything gets installed with 5200. The water pickup went in yesteray, and I put a final seal on the blower and vent lines... once dry, the cradle can go back in, followed by the engine. The engine is done minus the ignition, intake and lifters- we're going to cover the cam in lube just prior to start up. The cooling hoses and wiring harness are also not on yet- those will get done once the engine is in the boat.

Id still like to get the carpet in before the motor gets dropped in though... we'll see what we can accomplish through the weekend.
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2010 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

GL is a definite. Whose wedding are we talking about anyways?

We'll have to order up some weather like last year for you! Good to hear you'll be making the trip this summer. Hopefully you'll be bringing the BFN along.....many of us will be anxious to see it in person.

.......for a few posts back there, I thought I'd missed a big announcement.....thanks for clearing that up.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2010 at 4:14pm
Tim,
You'r tips are in the mail. Melissa will love the sparkle!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2010 at 4:18pm
Haha, thanks Pete- I owe you one!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2010 at 9:43pm
Pete, the tips were waiting for me when I got to Mom's and Dad's this evening... they look awesome! Thanks again.

Perfect proportions:

Even meaner looking installed:

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2010 at 10:55pm
Nice! Those do look amazing!   
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2010 at 8:50am
Tim,
I agree on the propotions. I'm glad you like them. Now, stop looking at the tips and get back to work on the boat!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2010 at 9:03am
Looks good Tim!
87MCProstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87MCProstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2010 at 11:11am
it will be interesting how that mean engine is going to sound out of 4" holes!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2010 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Now, get back to work on the boat!

Ha, yes sir!

The strut went on last night... other than sanding down the keel where I had put some thickened resin, thats all we managed to get done. At least we're happy with the alignment. Ill have to post some pictures of the "massaged" strut.

Im hoping to do another round of filling with thickened resin tonight- the rudder port area in particular was pretty beat up.
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2010 at 1:13pm
Hay benj! thay look very nice, do ya want to sell the old ones. need a set for my 75 separator.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2010 at 1:31pm
Looks good. Biggest mistake CC ever made was losing the dual exhausts. What were they thinking?

Probably a stupid question, but are you putting in any kind of mufflers?
just kidding!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2010 at 1:59pm
Jeff, thanks! Id love to help you out, but at this time Im going to hang onto the old tips, just in case. We converted my sister's '69 Mustang to 3" (from 2-1/4") this year, so Ive only got one set left... and theres definitely a late 60's Mustang in my future.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2010 at 3:00pm

While I dont care for the look of the single exhaust, the new boats sure are quiet- which is sometimes a good thing.

It's pretty much always a good thing if you ski in the mornings on public water.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2010 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

While I dont care for the look of the single exhaust, the new boats sure are quiet- which is sometimes a good thing.

It's pretty much always a good thing if you ski in the mornings on public water.

No wonder no one likes me!
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2010 at 11:06pm
Tim - did you replace the rope in your rub rail? If so, what did you buy and where.

I am getting ready to remove my rub rail and all other fixtures for compounding, polish and wax so I would like to source the rope now so it will go on when I put the rub rail back on.

Thanks.

Dave
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
2008 Ski Nautique 206 w/Factory Tower, EX343 SOLD
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

[URL=http://s328.photobucket.com
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2010 at 11:26pm

Tim,

Looking good !!

Would that mean your boat does not have stock parts on it
for the RACE FANS...   hehe

Love the photo's get them coming.
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2010 at 11:41am
clip out another 60lbs, and give the sister your 10-18??????
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2010 at 12:38pm
Dave, we will be replacing the rope in the rub rail, but havent done it yet. I used a 1/2 poly rope from Home Depot on my Tique, but I got the one for the BFN for a few bucks cheaper at McMaster.

Dave, under the motorbox we still have the stock tranny and motor mounts, as well as the carb spacer, alternator, water pumps and their brackets. I think we're reusing the wiring harness. The oil pain is probably original too... but thats about it.

Eric is there really a 60lb difference between the 10-18/72C and the PCM? Regardless, I think we'll stick with the BW- we're flirting with the 475hp max you recommend for the 40A.
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2010 at 1:12pm

......we're flirting with the 475hp max.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2010 at 4:15pm
they put them behind the Pythons, it will handle it, actually I think the mark would be more like 70 lbs cause the 72 comes in at 108lbs
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2010 at 5:03pm
in reality, i would bet it takes 5 horsepower to run the borg and 1 to 2hp to turn the PCM, much smaller pump on the PCM and i can really tell the difference when i spin them on my lathe, the borgs will load the lathe unlike the pcm, the lathe acts as if nothing is on there with the PCM.
Some history on the Borg, in the early days they took what was reffered to as the shuttle box, and a borg warner 4 speed trans that would go into off road brick haulers and the "shuttlebox" was the borg warner up front of the 4 speed t-18 transmission or t-98, of course it did use a Borg and Beck torque converter for slip. But what they did was take that shuttle box and converted the same concept into a marine trans, thus very rugged and durable, the pump is about 4 times as big as the PCM and moves that much more oil which does rob HP, like a high volume oil pump in an engine. this transmission set up allowed 4 reverse speeds and 4 forward speeds with 1st being a creeper gear
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2010 at 12:51pm
Any bilge updates?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2011 at 8:48pm
A few updates... we're still putting on hardware.

The bilge drain, fins and water pick up are on.

The new strut took a bit of massaging to get just right. The baseplate was significantly thicker (almost 1/8"!) than the original, and the angle was off enough where we would have had to shim it significantly in order to line it up with the shaft log... so we took a grinder to it instead. You can see that baseplate is a good 1/16" or so thicker at the rear.

Mounted and 5200'd in:

In the meantime, the keel needed to be cleaned up quite a bit. It looked like the fins had been knocked off and remounted a few times, so we had some extra holes to fill and smooth. The area aft of the strut was also really beat up- probably due to the minimal clearance (~1/4") the original 13x15 Federal had. The rudder port was particularly bad... and at some point someone installed a metal plate between the strut and rudder to hide the damage- so those screw holes needed to be filled too. This picture was taken last year:

After a few rounds of filling and sanding, it looked like this:

It ended up coming out pretty decent. It needs gel to look good, but the running surface is now 100% better.

While I was underneath the boat working with the thickened resin, I noticed that there was a pretty big gap between the shaft log and hull- it looks like it was never bedded properly from the factory. That gap got filled in while I was under there.

This afternoon we finished 5200'ing the exhaust tips, and put on the platform brackets as well.

The speedo tubes got sealed in as well. We were going to put on the pitots and trim pieces for the tubing, as well as the bilge pump outlets, but I wasnt happy with how they looked. Im going to search for some better looking pieces (new/used) before buttoning up the transom.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1920212223 31>
  Share Topic