NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1718192021 31>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 2:26pm
Keegan, even in these low-res pictures, you can see how the last coat of epoxy ran and seperated in the bottom right of the 2nd pic. I had that bilge mirror smooth prior to coating so its frustrating how rough it ended up- but at least its uniform everywhere and not splotchy or inconsistent. Oh well, it will look good with the motorbox closed anyways!

Joel, we're leaving the tips just like that. Flappers are for sissies.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 4:34pm
Tim,
Are you still on your original set of "weights"? I noticed the case sitting towards the bow in the first picture you just posted. By now, not needing to weigh anything down, they should be gone!!

I like the way it's turning out even though you have a few runs. Did you put extra pigment in the last coat to try to get it to cover better? I'm just trying to figure out why it ran???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 4:52pm
Ha, same weights Pete- the PBR box broke but we havent drank any of the beers yet! Maybe we'll save them for the celebratory first cruise. I figured somebody might comment on those.

Nope, no extra pigment. We had too much in the first batch (first coat only) at roughly 2oz of pigment per qt, which at the time I thought might have contributed to the splotchiness. According to USComposites, 1oz/qt is recommended, but you can go slightly beyond that- but you get weird stuff happening after 1.5oz/qt. To be safe, I did some extra sanding after the first coat, and adjusted the ratio back down to ~1.25:1 for coat #2. That came out good, but there were still areas of transparency (especially the vertical surfaces), which drove me to a 3rd coat. Since it looked good, I only sanded with 180 grit (I think I hit it with 60-100 grit between coats 1 and 2), which might have been the cause of the runs and "repelling" the last coat seemed to exhibit. It stuck fine though.

Each coat got a good wipedown with soap and water to get rid of any potential amine blush, followed by a wipedown with clean rags. I dont think we had issues for lack of prep.

Next time, Ill either have a little more forethought and do the last layer of glass with tinted resin (which hopefully would require fewer top coats to cover), or do a vinylester conversion and then (opaque) gelcoat. Or maybe Id even consider bilgekote again, with a primer of course. Anything would be easier than 3 frickin coats... the end result does not reflect the amount of work invested!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 4:59pm
I should have mentioned this before, but there is no plaque for Best Bilge.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 5:16pm
You sure know how to make a guy feel real good about his decision to just slap down some bedliner and move on...

Looking good though, any chance of getting that thing running before the water freezes or what?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

the end result does not reflect the amount of work invested!

Looks great from here Tim but I know how you feel.   I've spent 2 weekends hanging the sides on the Hurricane and I'll spend this weekend fixing it so it's presentable. I haven't updated my thread because I'm not happy with the finished product yet, maybe by sunday night!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 7:50pm
Joe, I havent given up all hope, but I have to admit that its not looking very promising. We could probably slap the engine in and break in the cam easy enough, then reinstall valve springs before a lake test- lawn chair style of course- but Id really like to get the carpet in while the engine is still out... and thats a few day project to do cleanly. We shall see.

Thanks Alan. Here I am struggling with a simple glass boat- good thing Im not messing with wood! That stuff is way beyond my skill level.
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 8:14pm
I also think it looks great Tim. I really enjoy this thread.
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 9:36pm
Love the blue! would look good in on of my seps. Jeff
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 9:56pm

The 4" exhaust tips look much better on a transom this substantial, I think.

They certainly do look good!
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I should have mentioned this before, but there is no plaque for Best Bilge.

LMAO

Looks great Tim. It is exciting to see it going back together.

Donald
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 1:18am

Joel, we're leaving the tips just like that. Flappers are for sissies.

FWIW (not much), not feeling the non-angled chrome tips w/o flappers on a 79. Seems like the wrong era for that style tip. Too modern of a boat for a 40's era exhaust tip. Somebody's gotta find a flaw in this project
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 11:26am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

FWIW (not much), not feeling the non-angled chrome tips w/o flappers on a 79. Seems like the wrong era for that style tip. Too modern of a boat for a 40's era exhaust tip.

The intent was to emulate the original look (minus the flaps) as much as possible. These were the shortest 4" straight tips I could find- though I still would have liked them shorter.

Original 3" vs. new 4":

The tips on my Skier and sister's Mustang were a different style- straight through pipes with seperate rings to seal... so these actually look pretty modern in comparison. I think theyre appropriate for the age of the boat.

As far as the flaps go, Ive never had an issue with any of my boats that dont have them- so Im not convinced they really perform any function and I like the cleaner look. I thought the Ski Tique looked good without them too.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 11:30am
Tim,
Send the 4" tips to me. I'll chuck them up in the lathe and shorten them up so they look more like the originals!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 11:50am
Pete, are you being serious? That thought had crossed my mind... would it leave a sharp edge or would it appear smooth and polished like the finished edge thats on there now?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 11:52am
I'm sure Pete will just polished the edge back up while it's still on the lath right?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 11:56am
Tim,
I'm serious if you want me to be. I'd be happy to cut them down. It's really pretty easy and anyone with a lathe could do it. No sharp edge. After you turn them down to length, you go back and put a slight chamfer on the inside and out side of the end.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 12:01pm
In that case I'll take you up on it!

I think the short style of the originals is very cool. Ill take some quick measurements of both so I know how long to make them- then box them up. Just shoot me your address. Thanks Pete!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 2:54pm
Tim,
85 Wagner rd.
Northfield, Il.

I'll be looking for them.
Don't worry, the cut edge will look factory or better!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 9:58pm
Yeah! I influenced to the build!

Maybe that's what it was. The tip was too long. I agree that if it was shortened up it would look more fitting.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2010 at 5:27pm
Tim,
Before I cut them down, think about the exact length you want them. I'm just thinking out loud here but due to the larger diameter, you may not want them as short as the originals. Make a chip board mock up and see how the proportional length to diameter looks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2010 at 8:42pm
My thoughts exactly, Pete. The originals protruded 3/4" out of the transom. I figure thats 1/4 of the 3" diameter. I think holding that 1/4 ratio constant would make them look appropriate- so 1" protruding past the flange since theyre 4" diameter. Sound good to you?

Right now, they came from Eddie Marine with a 2" exterior length, so we'd be cutting that in half.

Theyre boxed up and will go out tomorrow... thanks again!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2010 at 9:28pm
Tim,
We both get anal with certain items. I would have done the math as well! Sounds good with the 1".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2010 at 11:40am
Its important to get these details right!

The package went out this morning... you should see it Wed. Thanks again!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2010 at 12:01pm
That boat is looking nice. Those tips will look great at 1". I don't like the look of the flappers either and have noticed a boat is actually a little louder without them. I lost one on our older Malibu and could tell right away that it sounded different. I've noticed Reid runs them on his boats, he must have a reason.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2010 at 12:22pm
Pete, out of curiosity how do you center something like that on a lathe? Is there some like, expanding chuck that would grip the tubing from the inside?
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2010 at 1:06pm
Joel,
Since it's round, it will go in a 3 jaw chuck. It can be gripped on the ID or OD. A 3 jaw will self center unlike a 4 jaw which has independant adustments on each jaw for odd shaped items.

The only caution I need to do when cutting, is to keep the tip from getting too hot and heat tinting.

Typical 3 jaw:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2010 at 1:53pm
It's looking good! I think you're being a little too critical on the bilge and think it looks fine. I know we can be our own worst critic, though. I agree on the idea of shortening the tips. That should turn out nice.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2010 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim,
We both get anal goo.

You should move them up above the platform.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2010 at 10:03am
That boat is looking very nice, and a fast hull to boot! Can't wait to see it complete.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1718192021 31>
  Share Topic