NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Show me your garage

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 12>
Author
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Show me your garage
    Posted: November-25-2009 at 3:29pm
I'm currently in the planning stages of a detached garage, and just want to hear any ideas/suggestions from others willing to chime in. Throw up a pic of your garage as well if you have any.

Right now I'm planning on a 28'deep x 36'wide garage with a 9' door and a 16' door. Roof will be attic trusses to give me storage over the whole 36' length. It will sit on a block foundation and the floor will be poured concrete. I am investigating the idea of installing an I-beam across the 28' length to use for lifting the boat, engine, or for any other project where I need overhead lifting.

I'm not planning on finishing it out with insulation and drywall right away to save some cost. I will do those things and time & money allow.

Lets hear any thoughts from those of you who have done a grage/shop project. What did you do that worked well, what would you do differently, ...etc...
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 3:37pm
Ive yet to plan mine out, but all the recommendations Ive heard on the topic say to go bigger than you think you'll need. This is especially true on the depth with our boats- its nice to have some breathing room to walk around the boat without having to take the platform off, fold the trailer tongue, etc.

Not sure what youre planning for door height, but Id go at least 8', if not taller. Ive had a few boats come very close to not fitting through a 7' tall door, cant fit my truck under one with the roof boxes on either. That will come into play with a newer boat with a tower if you ever upgrade as well.

If you can, go with tall ceilings inside. Having to crouch down to avoid hitting the ceiling while working inside the boat is a back breaker. I definitely like the I-beam idea- it would let you hang the boat or yank an engine much easier.

Not sure what youve got in mind for electrical and plumbing, but Id add 220V service if at all possible in case you want to run larger tools (compressors, welders, etc). A wash sink and a urinal would also be most welcome to avoid having to trek back in the house.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 4:06pm
I have a 40x80 polebarn. 54 feet cold, and a 26 foot heated shop. We have an enclosed heated stall on one side towards the left rear corner of the cold area for storing my wife's car. The building is 14' high at the bottom of the roof. That enables me to have a mezzanine area on top of the car stall for storage. 12 foot door allows nearly anything to be backed in there, including a towered up SuperAir. I put 200A service in so any power is a non issue. I store 4 boats with plenty of room to keep the plow truck and other crap inside in the winter. I have water back to an outdoor hydrant.

My oversights or mistakes (whichever way you want to look at them):

-no indoor water, just outdoor.
-no bathroom (Mrs. Wakeslayer hates this)
-high efficency furnace, this is a problem in that: a) I do not have a floor drain and they make a LOT of water when it is cold out, b)I can only turn it down to 50*. You cannot let these freeze as you will crack the heat exchanger. If I had a normal furnace, I would actually use less propane by keeping it at a lower temp. Not exactly high efficiency in my case.

As Tim said above, go bigger than you think you will need. The more space you have the more stuff you will accumulate. I don't care what you think now, that will always happen.
Get a nice inexpensive used fridge for beer.
Upgrade a TV in your house, and put the old one out in the shop. DirecTV adds dishes at no charge, and another reciever is only $5 per month.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 4:15pm
Tim's pretty close but he forgot the coffee pot and the fridge for later . Both are essential for extended garage stays.

If I could only have one thing though it would be an overhead beam or beams to support a boat flip, an engine pull or hanging the boat for trailer removal.   

I would also try to set aside an area that can be closed off, washed down and ventilated so I had a clean area to work with finishes. Even if it was closed off with clear plastic that would be fine, and must have GOOD LIGHTING.

And just maybe an upstairs office/man cave with internet access so you don't have to keep running back in the house to get on CCfan for reference material.   

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 4:20pm
I have a phone line run to my building and used to be able to get internet access, however, the wire broke underground and the bastard phone company wants $1500 to fix it...   Not worth it in my opinion.

Agree on the I beam, that would be awesome.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 4:21pm
I'm definitely going with 8' tall doors, for the obvious height concerns and because they will match the house. I forgot to add that while I won't be finishing the garage, it will have a 220V (100amp) run off of the main 200amp house service.

The whole size thing has just kept growing, and I'm really hesitant to expand it more, although I would like to obviously have more room than I'll ever need. The only thing I may change is increasing the depth of it to 32'.

The ceiling height is a big issue, especially with the idea of the I-beam. By the time you figure in the height of the beam, the trolley, and then a chain hoist, you're hanging down pretty far and it limits how far you can raise a boat. I want 10 foot studs on the walls, and I'll probably have an extra row of blocks put down on the foundation to raise the wall height up some more just to make sure this isn't an issue.

And the urinal...that's genius
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 4:26pm
I would probably go with the separated space pole barn space like you have Mike, if it weren't for the covenants of the addition. They're not allowed.

Great ideas so far guys, thanks for the input.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 4:27pm
A urinal only works 3/4 of the time, and your wife will not really appreciate it at all. Go with a full unit.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Tim's pretty close but he forgot the coffee pot and the fridge for later . Both are essential for extended garage stays.

Come on, Alan- he's asking about construction questions. I figured the beer fridge/kegerator was a given! I love the cable tv and internet idea too. Having an office to house reference materials and other paperwork would be ideal.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 4:36pm
Craig,
Consider running Pex tubing in the slab now for future hydronic heat. If you do, don't forget to insulate under the slab and at it's perimeter. It's not a bad idea to insulate it anyway otherwise the cold will penetrate in from the outside.

At a span of 32', the min. W beam height needed is 14". A - W1426 will give you better than a 2 to 1 safety factor if you are lifting 4 tons. (they aren't called "I" beams anymore!!)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 4:44pm
Craig-

I did not read all of this, so it may be a repeat.

My dad's shop is built with 2x6 walls. On the outside of the studs there is a 1" piece of foam and then steel siding. In the middle of the studs it has fiberglass insulation. On the inside of the garage there is another 1" piece of foam and then T-11 siding over it. In the summer the shop stays about 65 without A/C. In the winter it really never falls below 45 in there. It is very inexpensive to heat.

You might consider this when you design yours.

Tim

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Craig,
At a span of 32', the min. W beam height needed is 14". A - W1426 will give you better than a 2 to 1 safety factor if you are lifting 4 tons. (they aren't called "I" beams anymore!!)

Haha, I figured you'd bust me on the terms Pete, I was just using the term that everyone knows, instead of wide-flanged beams.

I am not a civil engineer, so explain how you come up with a minimum beam height of 14"...is this from the assumed weight of 4 tons, or is there a minimum height based strictly off of the span? If it's based off of 4 tons...take that down to about 3000lbs, I don't need to lift 3 boats at once, just one at a time . You could probably even rate it for a 2000lbs single point load in the middle and it would be plenty safe for lifting a boat...about 2800lbs split over two equal loads only about 4' from the supports.

...I need to polish up some of my statics skills...so excuse me if I'm sounding stupid
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 5:20pm
Craig,
I thought I'd mention the "I" VS "W" because I got busted the other day. I'm old school too!!

Per the charts, regarding the "W" beam (I almost slipped there!!) it's the 32' span and not the load that designates the 14" height. If you went to a 30' span, then you could drop down to a 12" height. FTI, a - W1422 (lightest 14" W beam) beam at 32' will give you better than the 2 to 1 for 3 tons.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 5:24pm
With the tall ceiling, you are going to lose a lot of heat I'd seriously consider heating the floor like Pete said.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 5:25pm
Hmmm...didn't know there were any codes on the minimum height for a given span. You have an electronic source I can peek at?

I was really not wanting any taller than a 10" beam...I think I run out of height below it as I mentioned above with the trolley and hoist. I may have to look at a higher ceiling or scrapping the beam idea altogether.

As always Pete, thanks for the info.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 5:32pm
Good point Hollywood...although at this point heating & insulation is on the back burner...no pun intended. I guess I should consider this option before I get too far into this. The biggest factor is the $$$ at this point. My main goal is to get a roof over the boat and to plan this structure to allow finishing/upgrading as time and money allows.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 5:39pm
Craig,
You can do some searching for beam loading but I've never been able to find anything of value. I don't feel the load charts are published anymore due to liabilty issues. They want you to hire a certified structural engineer!! My info is out of engineering reference publications I've had for 20 years. The loading charts aren't code related.

Regarding the height issue (under the hook) keep in mind you only need 5" to 6" of beam below your ceiling. Check the min. beam height needed for the hoist trolley you plan on using.

Edit: Try to squeeze the foam slab insulation and pex tubing in now. It will really pay off later. It's not that big of a cost.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 5:43pm
You can mount the beam above the joists, it'll take away storage but you can lift all the way up to them them with hoists and hardware out of the way.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Regarding the height issue (under the hook) keep in mind you only need 5" to 6" of beam below your ceiling. Check the min. beam height needed for the hoist trolley you plan on using.

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You can mount the beam above the joists, it'll take away storage but you can lift all the way up to them them with hoists and hardware out of the way.

This is the whole reason I started this thread...thanks fella's.

I don't know why but I had stuck in my mind to keep the beam all below the ceiling. Mounting it up into the ceiling as you've suggested would give up a little storage, but it would really only make a small divider up in the attic. You could still step over it easily.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 6:07pm
I agree with what Pete is saying. Plan well and add just enough so your future plans will fit in as your budget allows. I left a couple things on the table and doing them now would cost considerably more to retro-fit than just doing it the first place.
Also, I lose a ton of heat in my shop because of the 13.5' ceiling. I would rather have dropped it down 4 feet and had more mezzanine storage. It costs me a fortune to heat my shop.

Rework sucks.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 6:09pm
Craig,
I mentioned the 5" to 6" below the ceiling just incase you ever wanted to drywall the ceiling. BTW, the W beam in that position will interrupt the wall double cap plates. Your framer would then need to add auxilliary cap plates on the outside of the wall in the boxed eaves. They should extend at least 5' on both sides of the beam.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 6:10pm
I would not put the beam in the attic. We have a beam down the center of the shop and use it to hang all kinds of things.

You can find surplus beams all over the place if you look hard enough. Another option is to put two beams along the side and put in a trolley so the beam is not in the way.

If money challenged I would still focus on the insulation and heating in the floor, unless you plan to just build it as cold storage.

Tim

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 6:15pm
Go as high as you can. My garage(36x32) has the 14" beam but unfortunately building it with guidance from my father (who didn't believe in height) I lost considerable height under the beam. We actually took out 5 floor joists to allow enough height four a 4 post lift. I would go for the radiant floor heat if you plan to run the heat all winter. Oherwise you'll need to drain. I have forced hot air and it's only on if I'm going to be out there working. Plenty of light, piped air, and electrical receptables are a must. 10ft wide doors minimum. Trimed out, a 9' door is aboy 8'9" and backing a 8'6" trailer in can be tight.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 6:20pm
Are you saying the 5" to 6" so the drywall would run right up to the web? I think this is what you meant in the previous post about leaving the clearance for the trolley...that makes sense and I think it would look nice.

As for the cap plates, this would only interfere if the beam spanned into the wall. If it stops right at the wall, this wouldn't matter, if I'm thinking correctly. I have not given much though as to what the supports will be for the beam. Any ideas? The cleanest look would be to have the support be in-between the studs that way you could drywall over it. Now that I think about it, this is the situation where it would interfere with the cap plate.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I have a phone line run to my building and used to be able to get internet access, however, the wire broke underground and the bastard phone company wants $1500 to fix it...   Not worth it in my opinion.

Agree on the I beam, that would be awesome.

You need a wireless router Mike, I've been known to float in the pool with a beer and my laptop.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 6:23pm
I sure hope Kristof doesn't have an ethernet jack in his bathroom either.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 6:37pm
Tim...interested in hearing why you think raising the beam into the attic a little bit is a bad idea. You would still be able to use the beam in every way that you would if it were hanging down completely below the ceiling.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 6:47pm
You may not want to insulate right away, but you should consider insulated garage doors. It's easy to add insulation to the walls/ceiling later, but a pain to insulate/replace the garage doors.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 6:48pm
It really just depends on your needs. A trolley system gives you the flexibility to move things around after they are hung but a beam in the attic will be fine for lifting Pete's 8,000 lb boat straight up.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2009 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Tim...interested in hearing why you think raising the beam into the attic a little bit is a bad idea. You would still be able to use the beam in every way that you would if it were hanging down completely below the ceiling.

The beam in our shop does two things.

1. It supports the floor on the second story.

2. It is a good place to lift stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 12>
  Share Topic