Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battery - best value ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kamper11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kamper11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery - best value ?
    Posted: July-29-2009 at 3:34pm
Need a new battery for the 87 2001 -

I know the Optima's are at the top of the list - also pricey -

Any others worth looking at?

Super Start (checker/oreilly autoparts)
WalMarts options?

Other?

Thanks in advance!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2009 at 3:47pm
The Everstart Maxx (Walmart) have proven to be cheap and reliable in my boats. The Group 65 fits in the battery box just fine.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2009 at 9:02pm
All I could add is when I buy something with a warranty like a battery I prefer to use local auto parts store in case I have a problem with it.

In my case I put a new battery in my motorhome last spring and I killed it over the winter because I forgot to throw the disconnect switch and it drained completely dead and would not hold a charge. I thought I was going to have to fork out the cash for a new one because I couldn't find my receipt but I walked into the parts store, the clerk looked me up in the computer and I left with a brand new battery free of charge. Autozone no less!!!
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2009 at 10:24pm
I got the blue top a lot cheaper at Sam's then anywhere else so if you have a membership go price them out over there!
rmm025 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmm025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2009 at 1:45am
Go to autozone and get one of their gold top batteries. They have one that will fit perfect in the battery box and it has a 3 year warranty. You will most likeley never buy a battery again.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2009 at 5:09pm
My understanding of AZ's warranty is when your 3 years is up they quit giving you a free battery.   (1 battery they make profit 2 batteries they break even)
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2009 at 12:57am
The one in our martinique is a group 65 from Advance Auto Parts. It was like $100. Next time I'll just get one from Costco. Same battery, but $73.

favorite computer wisdom: net helpmsg 4006
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2009 at 3:27am
I went on craigs list. Found some guy who replaced a battery and then found out he still had warrenty of the old one, brand new energiser 800 amp for $50. It pays to think outside the box as long as it fits inside the box.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2009 at 11:17am
Spend the extra money on an optima you wont regret it. They last a long time and can take a hell of a beating. I know the cost is a big factor for everyone including my self but when it comes to boats go with the best. Keep that padal put put away. Just my 2 cents.

Sam
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2009 at 12:12pm
I got a new battery this spring. I read some info here and AC/Delco got a lot of good comments for the price range ($70-$90). I just felt better skipping the big auto parts chain store batteries... The AC/Delco really wasn't more expensive.

Just check the measurements exactly on what will fit in your battery compartment
1973 CC Mustang
89Ski_Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Ski_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 4:07pm
As cheap "no paddle" insurance I recently installed a red top Optima 34M. For best value, I recommend you spend the extra money on an Optima. The battery's unique design uses long thin layers of lead wound into tight spiral cells when compared to conventional lead plates dangling in acid. This design translates to being ideally suited for the marine environment. Also here are several sites that include a $25 rebates and free shipping.
1989 Ski Nautique
Former Boats:
1988 Dominique
1993 Ski Nautique
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by 89Ski_Nautique 89Ski_Nautique wrote:

This design translates to being ideally suited for the marine environment.   

Marine enviroment? Keep drinking the Kool Aide. The battery is sealed...

5 Year old auto-zone battery in my boat starts mine every time.

I put my optima money into more gas to go skiing!

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 9:11pm
Just bought a 1 year old red top off craigs list 800cca for $80, it is in my truck now but will soon move to the boat sold last yeaqrs 450 amp to my father in law for his 4 cylinder sea ray for $25,I think I did OK.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 9:44pm
My Wal-mart Everstart is on its fourth year, no problems.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 11:00pm
Dan,
I agree with all the members who are simply using a good name brand of starting battery. Doesn't even need to be marine. I'm on at least 6 years on the one cranking my 312.

Yes the Optima is a very good battery but is the price worth it? I feel many buy them simply for the "bling" factor!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 1:17am
My next battery will be an Optima. Not once have I ever heard anything negative about them.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2009 at 3:16am
Optima! Optima! Optima!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
kamper11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kamper11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2009 at 1:33pm
Bought the Autozone dual purpose (starting/deep cycle) marine battery - to make sure I woudnlt run down the battery while floating and listening to tunes or filling/emptying fatsacs

Its awesome - turn the motor over very fast and starts 1st try every try - plus - keeps on ticking with the extra loads as mentioned - with battery exchange about $79. Pretty good deal in my book.

Thanks for all the input. Decided on the less expensive option and will put the other $100 towards the tower...
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2009 at 7:42pm
Interstate Car Battery Group 24- bought in 2000 off a Interstate Truck delievering to one of the shops I happened to be delievering to,$65 no tax and still ticking. Trickle charge through the winter. All my vehicles have an Interstate in them-1998 in my 83 Monte Carlo SS--11 years service out of that one and I only drive it on the weekends!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2009 at 10:08pm
The big plus for an Optima is that they can be mounted sideways. I don't have a Auto Zone. I have always had decent luck with Die Hard batteries available at Sars and Kmart.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2009 at 11:52am
I think the CCA's get pulled out of context here, i dont think a high CCA battery is needed in a boat, CCA as we know means Cold Cranking Amps, who fires thier boats in the middle of winter? i would lean more towards a deep cycle battery, and go with a good warranty, 4 or 5 year no questions asked. we rarely discuss on this site problematic battery issues so i would think batteries are batteries and pricng is pricing, im a firm believer along with oils that there are not many battery manufacturer's out there but there are alot of label makers...along with Persona and marketing to the likes of a fram filter's you would think they would be at the top of the list and a great filter, merely excellent marketing.
"the things you own will start to own you"
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2009 at 10:18am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

... im a firm believer along with oils that there are not many battery manufacturer's out there but there are alot of label makers...along with Persona and marketing to the likes of a fram filter's you would think they would be at the top of the list and a great filter, merely excellent marketing.

Eric,
I agree with you. To my knowledge there are two major automotive type lead-acid battery manufacturers. They are Johnson Controls, and Exide.

Johnson Controls manufactures the Autozone, Advance Auto, DieHard, Costco, Energizer, OPTIMA and OEM batteries for Mazda, Acura, Honda, and Mitsubishi. Delphi was a third manufacturerer, but they were bought by Johnson Controls around 2005. They would have manufactured GM batteries, and who knows what else.

Exide markets the Nascar batteries at NTB, Interstate, and just as Exide. They probably market under other brands, and manufacture for OEMs but I can't think of them this early in the morning.

favorite computer wisdom: net helpmsg 4006
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2009 at 11:09am
Eric Has a very good point regarding the decals. I don't feel the practice has changed over the years. I remember the battery truck coming into the marina back in the late 60's early 70's. All he had were bare case batteries and would stick different decals on them depending on the warrantee level we wanted!! IE: you were getting the same battery but would pay more for a longer warrantee!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic