Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

why does correct craft turn props rh rotation

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
snowalternative View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowalternative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why does correct craft turn props rh rotation
    Posted: July-02-2009 at 12:17am
does anyone know the reason correct craft used rh rotation motors alot of the older boats?
are there any adverse effects in handling/turning if one converts to a lh motor other than the necessary changes-seals,trans pump,cam,dist gear,starter,prop,crank,etc?
Im just curious,it seems the lh parts are much less expensive as well as more choices available.
i cant find any posts on this subject & i think there are more than a few older boats w/gt-40 motors in them which would make them lh rotation unless these are simply head/induction swaps on rh motors with out the blocks & valve train being used
my apologies if this is a repeat post--i have a '83 2001sn which i'd like to freshen the motor (2000hrs) & am trying to find most economical way to refresh
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 12:51am
If you got into this sport thinking it was gonna be cheap, get out now..............
Now if you are here to stay, there are ways to rebuild on the cheap, but do not try to re invent the wheel.Both long and short block are available at a reasonable price.These motors are purpose built, and from the hours you listed it has done it's task well.
If you must use a LH motor.aka car motor,a PCM 1.23 tranny will allow the use of your RH prop.But this will add about 2000.00, when all the extras are figure in. New drive shaft , with fitted coupling mated to that new tranny will handle 500 plus HP>

YOU BUILD IT AND WE WILL COME
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 1:19am
This subject has been on here before many times. One reason for the RH rotation is to offset the weight of the driver. So if you put in a LH and the torque rotates toward the driver alone, it will tilt.
Tim D
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 2:11am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

This subject has been on here before many times. One reason for the RH rotation is to offset the weight of the driver. So if you put in a LH and the torque rotates toward the driver alone, it will tilt.

OK here comes the proverbial "can-o-worms". Using this logic, which is what I think most arguments have been for the RH, why do boats with LH controls, like my Higgins, and some of the mid 60's CC's, still use RH rotation motors?   Im not trying to be a smart-azz, just always been curious?

Given that,my vote would still be to keep it RH. I think most of the GT motors on here are of the "head swap" type.

btw snowalt., you ride sleds?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 9:57am
it was back in the day, narrower boats and bigger props would torque the boat and alot of the boats back then would be flywheel forward, the trans was mounted to the front of the engine on some, normal rotation and at the back required a right hand prop. out of many ski boat manufacturers CC is the only one....so i go with the odds
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 10:28am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

OK here comes the proverbial "can-o-worms". Using this logic, which is what I think most arguments have been for the RH, why do boats with LH controls, like my Higgins, and some of the mid 60's CC's, still use RH rotation motors?   Im not trying to be a smart-azz, just always been curious?

Steve,
The 60's CC's like the skylark with a port side helm ran LH engines! The V6 was never made in the RH/RR.

Take a look at the props on a Higgins (from the factory). They are LH!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 12:19pm
I agree on the older narrower hulls but after the 90's first TSC hull the RH prop is no longer needed. I have been on the same hull with LH engines and it performs just the same.

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

I agree on the older narrower hulls but after the 90's first TSC hull the RH prop is no longer needed. I have been on the same hull with LH engines and it performs just the same.

Maybe you just mis-spoke, but it's no shock that you've been on those hulls with LH engines, as that's what the all were. The still swing a RH prop because of the reduction 1.23 tranny reverses the input rotation, so the output ends up being RH.

Now if you've been on one that truly was swinging a LH prop, that's a different comparison.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 1:57pm
I've always heard it's to counterbalance the driver, but that makes no sense - the spotter does that. These are ski boats so are very rarely going to run with only a driver. Perhaps research showed that, statistically, drivers were very very fat and spotters were very very thin.

Just as i type this it occurs to me that you can sit tweo people on the port side of my boat, and most others, but only one on the driver's side, so on that basis the engine should go the other way to "balance".

A cynic might wonder if it was just a way of making a bit more cash for PCM et al!
Easily Parted From Money
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 2:08pm
I concur.
I think after '82 it was just for legacy. and wanted to be special, and angle on the copetition. Its not uncommon for CC owners to think their boat has "cop engine, cop exhaust, cop carb, " cop rotation..

If it were that critical, CC wouldn't have put the mac-daddy LH rotation Hi-po 454 in the 2001's and BFN's.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 2:48pm
I can only speak to my experiences as a fat guy with an 83 which I will in fact ride in by myself and from time to time use to pull a skier/boarder alone and has had both a lh and a rh hand prop on on said 83 SN, it makes a noticable difference. Not particularily at slalom speeds, but for boarding I used to put an extra 440lbs on the passenger side when I had a LH engine to keep the wakes both with a hitable peak don't really need to do that with the RH prop. Its not like the single spotter will push you too far to the LH side now as they can easily sit in the middle if need be. Now could CC have done the same thing with a little hook, shimmy, or other no doubt.

Is the later hull different than the 83 in that there is absolutely no difference in performance between lh and rh rotation and luchog states, I doubt that too but I have no evidence to prove it. We do know that CC specifically stated in the literature for the later model boat that the rotation was to counteract the weight of the driver whom would often be the only one in the boat.

Was my 83 with a LH engine unusable.. .heck no it did the trick and did it very well in particular at speeds over 25mph, biggest issue would be resale value.

As for the big 425hp std rotation engine boats, with my experiences with LH and RH in the same boat if I was choosing between a 330 hp rh and a 425 hp lh it wouldn't take me long to index the pump and change the prop.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Tomski Tomski wrote:

I've always heard it's to counterbalance the driver, but that makes no sense - the spotter does that. These are ski boats so are very rarely going to run with only a driver. Perhaps research showed that, statistically, drivers were very very fat and spotters were very very thin.

I disagree with this statement totally Tom. I often run my 88 with just me driving pulling a buddy or vice versa. I have 2 88 lb lead weights that I place on the floor where a spotter would normally sit to evenly weigh the boat. I also have a another bud who uses 2 fat sac cubes filled and places them in the seat where the spotter would sit for the same reason.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 3:57pm
Has anyone ever asked Mr. Ralph?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 4:28pm
where's the picture of 79 when you need it?

Riley, he will tell you he got a great deal on a hundred righties in the day   lol
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 4:45pm
Eric, I think that's more like it!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 5:10pm
[QUOTE=eric lavine] where's the picture of 79 when you need it?

I have seen that picture. LOL !!!!!!!!

Donald
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 9:31pm
C-Bass, Ive been on the 90plus hulls with LH engines and 1:1 gears and propeller rotation makes no difference.

snowalternative View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowalternative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 1:14am
Thanks for the answers,facts & opinions. According to what i'm reading
if one did want or need to switch for whatever reason to lh from rh & had the needed components to do it,motor,raw pump,alt etc.,the pump can simply be reindexed (w/out switching gearboxes & shafts) & prop.
Since the 2001 came w/lh bbc it must not matter too much which way the prop turns
thx for the answers to my questions

hey 62 wood-no sleds-i live in sanford florida just north of orlando & the only snow ive got here is melted & flowing north on the st johns;although i do frequent big cottonwood canyon in ut & rent several polaris rmk's to take up to the backcountry near brighton--thats where the name came from because there snowalternative (actually off a previous boat)
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 2:29am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve,
Take a look at the props on a Higgins (from the factory). They are LH!

Pete,
My 62 Higgins has a RH prop, driven by a flywheel aft, "bacerds runnin", 135 Graymarine. I have no reason to beleive that it was ever anything but that. You got my curriosity going tho...I might have to check on a few of the other Higgins I know of.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 9:33am
Donald, i think thats the most he ever got PO'd at me, I remember the post, it read "now I know why they need right hand props"
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 9:43am
Where has 79 gone? The level of vitriol and spleen venting has dropped dramatically on here!
Easily Parted From Money
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 9:55am
i think he is on "time out"
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 11:18am
Might of blew a gasket or had to have a valve job.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 11:48am
even though he hates me, i still miss him, he is one of those "to know him is to love him"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Tomski Tomski wrote:

Where has 79 gone? The level of vitriol and spleen venting has dropped dramatically on here!

I started wondering the same thing a few weeks ago, not sure if I missed something and he got kicked off or if he was just busy at work so I checked his profile and he seems to log on just about everyday just isn't saying much...sort of like a big cat hiding in the grass.

last log on was yesterday at 12:11 looking at the float adjustment thread so he's either trying to prove a point or he got his hand slapped.

Either way 79 if we're wondering whats up that can't be all bad.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 12:49pm
he might be on the same island as MJ, maybe his assisstant?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Perhaps he helps it with a custome but I think 79's too grown up for MJ's taste.

Also there's this other topic "ignition" I think it is, where a ***************ball is rolling downhill.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Perhaps he helps it with a custome but I think 79's too grown up for MJ's taste.

Also there's this other topic "ignition" I think it is, where a ***************ball is rolling downhill.

yeap that ingnition post Is lacking of 79´s comments!!!LOL
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2009 at 3:00am
Eric, here's a pic of 79, perfect for this topic.
Tim D
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2009 at 6:43am
Originally posted by snowalternative snowalternative wrote:

hey 62 wood-no sleds-i live in sanford florida just north of orlando & the only snow ive got here is melted & flowing north on the st johns

Speaking of the St. John's, what ever engine you decide on make sure you got all the kinks worked out by Feb 2010!!! We'll be expecting to see you at the reunion, if you live in FL there's no reason not to be there.
-Adam

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic