Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

why does correct craft turn props rh rotation

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
snowalternative View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowalternative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2009 at 12:34pm
what part of the river is the reunion? ive read mention of lake george area--is at the glen?
i used to get invites/tickets to the sea world event but didnt get them last year probably due to the brand change at southeast cc--
i'm about 10 minutes from where intersate 4 crosses the river so i frequent the areas north & south of lake monroe
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2009 at 12:37am
Astor, command central will be at Parramores Fantastic Family Campground. Date will be the week end after Daytona 500. We have already booked our spot along with several others from the site. Start planning now..........Boat dr
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2009 at 1:22am
Thanks Tim for saving me the trouble of going into my Photobucket. Is that where you got the picture from or did you just find it on the site? If you did...find it here...thats a pretty good job. I wouldn't have known how to look it up.

79...gone but not forgotten...kinda miss him at times.

I gotta agree with the good dr...you don't wanna miss any of the Reunions but the River Run was a special time.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MVS007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MVS007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 7:19pm
I converted a 1983 2001 to LH engine and was dissapointed with the results. Boat lean and wake were adversly affected. If you do convert, be sure to get the rear seal on the crankshaft correct. If you use the old one it will force the oil through past the seal and into your bilge.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 5:30pm
From the 1989 Correct Craft Brochure:

I dont see how anyone can argue that the RH prop makes no difference. My '90 rides perfectly level at skiing speeds with just the driver aboard. Add a spotter and they better be sitting closer to the middle than the edge of the seat, or the boat will lean to port. Many states (and countries) have laws that require an observer- but many, including Florida (the home state of Correct Craft and the waterski capital of the world) do not.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 8:22am
if you ski without a spotter, well need more be said? that is the most ridiculous methodology, it translates and condones unsafe skiing. and then to design a boat that way...to me major f-u
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 11:30am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

if you ski without a spotter, well need more be said? that is the most ridiculous methodology, it translates and condones unsafe skiing. and then to design a boat that way...to me major f-u

There are many states that would disagree with you, as not all of them have laws requiring spotters. Florida is one of them! The large mirrors on today's boats make it easy to keep an eye on your skier- I usually know whats going on with mine before my observers do. Regardless, its much easier to ski without an observer than it is to ski without a driver! That weight on the starboard side is never going away.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 11:31am

That's a pretty sweeping statement. These are tournament ski boats, there are many situations in thier use that skiing with no spotter is perfectly reasonable. A very good portion of tournament ski boats in 1990 were never registered and spent thier entire life on private purpose built ski ponds. My friend dave and his brother have skiied on thier pond 6 months a year 4 times a week for the last 20 years and maybe had a spotter with them 12 times. With the amount of runs it takes to become a high level competitive skier it is not reasonable to think that you will have two people constantly available to watch you ski... its hard enough to find a driver.

I will absolutely flout the law myself in the pre/post season ski runs if need be, granted we are consenting adults, experienced skiers and drivers, wear a coast guard approved jacket, don't try this at home etc etc. Ask yourself if your safer being pulled through 4th of july boat traffic by some wally and his 13 year old spotter, or by a qualified instructor and lifeguard with the lake to ourselves.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 11:32am

that is the most ridiculous methodology, it translates and condones unsafe skiing. and then to design a boat that way...to me major f-u

WOW, somebody needs a hug.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 11:58am
1-800-call me if you want!    

I'm with Tim and probably most of the regulars here. I usually know first and if my skier is outside the range of the mirror, I can still tell they're back there.

Heck, I'm still trying to get a few to holler 'down' in case I do miss it.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 12:30pm
You guys are nuts ...going out with only a driver... I ALWAYS try to get 6 or 8 spotters when I go! As they say... there's saftey in numbers!!!     

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 2:40pm
I suppose texting on a cell phone is not a bad idea either with the kids in the back seat, sure its easy to keep an eye on the skier, who keeps an eye on the boat crossing in front of you...there is a word that pops into my head......multi-tasking
remember its just my opinion, i really think it is unsafe, i deal with alot of boaters, and seen them panick it a tight situation
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 4:52pm
i need a fckin hug, i got a Donzi back with a rod through the oil pan, the owner claims he didnt take it over 2800 and he heard a ticking
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 6:28pm
it really boils down to is it safer with or without a spotter? i think the majority will say yes with a spotter, sorry for the rant, sometimes i base my opinions on the mentally challenged boaters and yes with you guys i would glady ski behind the boat without a spotter
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 6:34pm
I agree with you Eric, most of the guys here need no spotters...however most of the "Weekend Idiots", dont even have a clue anymore!

BTW, I love that LG picture .... you can tell how responsible WE Pro's are! ehhh?

BTW, Donzi-Boy want you to pay for his screw up?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 7:04pm
I swear to god, yes he does, I put 5 hours on the boat myself last Friday, he said he heard some ticking (one side of the rod was snapped) then he did it in when he powered up....he said he had to get to back to the dock..
I had intuition on this one, and called it, i think i mentioned him in an earlier post......his last words were, will uit be ready for my West Virginia trip Monday....i blew a fck in cork
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 7:36pm
A cork or a front seal?    

We heard at least 1 trans job in the making on the way home from the fireworks. Everyone turning north was following 1 boat that should have been in a dock somewhere. We scooted in front and showed him where the channel was. Beat everyone up here back by 10-12 minutes...pumpkin power!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2009 at 7:57am
460's belong in dump trucks not boats.. i did forget to mention in the midst of the bad week he did bring the boat back one other time and said it wouldnt crank anymore, i did ask why the top end of the engine filled with water and i had to pull the plugs and pump the water, he didnt know why, I have to use foul langauge mf, it poured the night before and he left the engine hatch open,,,,,,this will be one i will remember....and the bad part about it is he'll hire Dewey, Cheatum and Howe, needless to say Im buying another engine
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2009 at 8:16am
back to the program, I guess im stirred up and the reason is on the 4th I ran into a guy at our local parade, he lives within walking distance of my house, I sorta knew he was my friends brother, not a close friend, but a friend. I told him you look like your brother, and he replied, you see that guy over there? I said yes, He was the only one out of 5 that survived hitting the side of the barge at approximately 60 miles an hour that night, it was his bachlor party...not a ski boat, but it was a boat... the point, would you buy a car without airbags? probably not, because you want to increase your odds of survival if you do get into an accident and one other point on motorcycles, another friend would bragg to me on how safe he was on a motorcycle, been riding for 20 years, no helmet blah blah, got clipped from the side....accidents happen, thats why they are called accidents, you cant control accidents but you can control stupidity, probably a harsh word but it fits.
too add, believe me In my early 30's I thought the same way, case of beer on the boat, lake patrol always flagging me down, and if i was a closer friend to the guy above I probably wouldve of been right next to him egging him on to go faster
c2h5oh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c2h5oh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 9:37am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

From the 1989 Correct Craft Brochure:

I dont see how anyone can argue that the RH prop makes no difference. My '90 rides perfectly level at skiing speeds with just the driver aboard. Add a spotter and they better be sitting closer to the middle than the edge of the seat, or the boat will lean to port. Many states (and countries) have laws that require an observer- but many, including Florida (the home state of Correct Craft and the waterski capital of the world) do not.

I have a Ski Nautique 2001 1989 with 351w and the big muffler thing.
How can I determine if my motor is LH or RH??

I think my prop is RH, but I want to know if my engine is LH or RH because I think my starter is on the rope (just klicks when turning the ignition some times).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 9:47am
Check your transmission tag. If 1 to 1 =RH    If 1 to 1.23 = LH
1988 BFN-sold

WLKONH2O View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WLKONH2O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 8:25pm
On PCM Engines...
On all engines, the Serial # plate indicates both engine and propeller shaft rotation. (Example: PLD-WV-R20 and PLDWV-L20). The "L" following the "P" indicates the engine rotation. The "R" and "L" following the "V" and preceding the "20" indicates the Propeller Shaft rotation.
WLKONH2O <><
96 Ski Nautique
Race City Marine
Inboard Parts & Repair
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 8:58pm
well, around these days I've been riding in kristof's '89 sn and he has a 351 lh paired to a 1.23 tranny...my bet is that you have the same rig...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

That's a pretty sweeping statement. These are tournament ski boats, there are many situations in thier use that skiing with no spotter is perfectly reasonable. A very good portion of tournament ski boats in 1990 were never registered and spent thier entire life on private purpose built ski ponds. My friend dave and his brother have skiied on thier pond 6 months a year 4 times a week for the last 20 years and maybe had a spotter with them 12 times. With the amount of runs it takes to become a high level competitive skier it is not reasonable to think that you will have two people constantly available to watch you ski... its hard enough to find a driver.

I will absolutely flout the law myself in the pre/post season ski runs if need be, granted we are consenting adults, experienced skiers and drivers, wear a coast guard approved jacket, don't try this at home etc etc. Ask yourself if your safer being pulled through 4th of july boat traffic by some wally and his 13 year old spotter, or by a qualified instructor and lifeguard with the lake to ourselves.

Actually the boats are designed for USA water ski tournament ( and previously AWSA) specifications where a judge and timer would be riding in the boat. They were not designed for the driver only private ponds. I go along with the previous statement claiming fat drivers and much smaller spotters. Thats how I run.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by c2h5oh c2h5oh wrote:

I think my starter is on the rope (just klicks when turning the ignition some times).

I try to always promote testing/checking. Before you go and get a starter "thinking" it's the problem:

Battery volts/condition?

Cables/terminals condition?

Voltage across starter relay (solenoid)?

If you need some help with doing some of these checks, we'll be around and always happy to help.

Welcome to the site.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 12:04am
I have been wondering about the RH rotation issues as well.

Assuming these boats were only designed to run on mill ponds with only the driver, wouldn't they lean even further to the right with just the driver in it? The prop rotates to the right, and the driver sits on the right. If this were the scenario, wouldn't it make things more balanced to have the prop rotate to the left to keep the boat from leaning too much to the right????

The scenario of having a spotter and a timer makes a lot of sense. Then I can see why a RH rotation prop would be used. Two people toward the the center/left side of the boat, and the driver on the right. A RH prop would make it more in balance.

Too much time on my hands to think about this sort of thing!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 12:10am
David, prop rotates to the right, driver sits on the right. The "down force" created by the prop turning RH makes the hull lean to the left.
Tim D
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 12:59am
Correct Craft boats originally started with the steering wheel on the LEFT hand side of the boat. So, with a RH rotation prop it would lift the drivers side being the driver is the only one in the boat at the time. Correct Craft eventually moved the steering wheel to the right of the boat and by that time the hulls were sophisticated enough to accept the RH rotation even with the helm on the right side of the boat. It's been a CC tradition and just stuck apparently. (I heard this from a maloon I believe...)

If any of you disagree or heard anything else please don't be afraid to let me know, this is just what I heard!!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 1:12am
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

If any of you disagree or heard anything else please don't be afraid to let me know, this is just what I heard!!

Not...........
This topic has been beat to death more than one time. Do a search on Reverse Rotation and a lot of info will appear.
It started way before the Maloons and their first boat in 1927..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 10:30am
it has something to do with the water not being level on the port side of the boat, they take this into account and offset the boat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic