NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine rebuilt

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 6>
Author
Quigs85SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quigs85SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2009 at 3:40pm
Sebastian,
I was in the same situation last year. I got my GT40p heads from Clearwater Cylinder Head (800)572-1963. They offer new castings and reconditioned castings. I got the reconditioned heads for $400 + $50 shipping. That included brass freeze plugs and drilling out for 351 head bolts. I did a lot of additional work, but re-used the stock cam as it was in good condition. You will definitely notice the extra horse power from the GT40p heads! Good luck with your project!
Brian
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2009 at 3:10am
Originally posted by Quigs85SN2001 Quigs85SN2001 wrote:

Sebastian,
I was in the same situation last year. I got my GT40p heads from Clearwater Cylinder Head (800)572-1963. They offer new castings and reconditioned castings. I got the reconditioned heads for $400 + $50 shipping. That included brass freeze plugs and drilling out for 351 head bolts. I did a lot of additional work, but re-used the stock cam as it was in good condition. You will definitely notice the extra horse power from the GT40p heads! Good luck with your project!

I sent them an email but no replay,
your engine was the base, and you upgraded to the gt40p?
I'm also concern on how deep tho go...lots of money into it...
engine runs perfect no leaks, no oil consumption, so I wanted to know if i could just drop in the new heads and leave the rest as is...no tearing appart...is it crazy?

The stock carb has to be rejeted for the new heads?

engine were it sits now....

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Quigs85SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quigs85SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2009 at 11:23am
Try calling them on Monday, I also tried to email them and had better luck by phone. Don't worry about your english, I'm sure they have someone that speaks spanish there! My engine started out with a burnt exhaust valve. When I got the heads off, the cylinder with the bad valve had a hole burnt through the piston, so I had to rebuild. The previous owner of my boat apparently hydro-locked the engine at some point since the machinist also found a bent connecting rod when he reconditioned them. It was a mess, but she runs great now thanks to the guys on this site!
Was your engine running well before you discovered the cracked head? Have you run a compression test lately? Since the heads are off, what do the cylinder walls look like? Can you still see the cross hatch pattern clearly? If you don't know of any additional problems, I'd put the new heads on and try it. Warm the engine up, then do a compression test and decide if it needs more work. All you have to lose is a few hours and the price of a gasket set. I'm sure others will have their opinions.
Brian
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2009 at 11:40am
do you have a bore gauge available?the bores should be 4.000 if they are within a .0015, and you can see the hone marks and no piston scuff, i would do the same as quig says. probably re-ring it and bearing the bottem end. the cylinder walls if in good shape are work hardened and no better surface then that to run new rings on. if not pop on the heads and go.
If you dont have a bore gauge available a good indication of the condition is the ridge at the top, if none you are good to go
"the things you own will start to own you"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 1:02am
engine ran perfect before the discovery...it did burn 1/2 quart of oil between each oil change, every 50-60 hours...
regarding the cylinder walls they are smooth, but with a little ridge at the top....
anyway I'll be ordering a complete engine rebuilt kit...are the summit kit ok? I was also thinking on Performance auto warehouse for parts.
regarding my english its actually good btu I get stuck sometimes wiht technical words...
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 1:32am
Depending on how much of a ridge you find at the top of the cylinder, you may need one of these...
Ridge Reamer
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

Depending on how much of a ridge you find at the top of the cylinder, you may need one of these...
Ridge Reamer

interesting reading.. I´ll discuss it with the machinist if possible, I´ll also going to check the bore to see if it´s within specs.
Anyway I´m considering to order all the parts now, to save some shipping cost and time in the future.
I case it in specs i´ll be ordering a rings and rod bearings kit in std size. And a complete kit with pistons in a .10? oversize, for when I decide to rebuilt?
Maybe I´m ahead cause Í didn´t even finished the tear appart of the engine yet...
Regarding pistons what should I order? cast, forged or hipereutetic? rings moly or other material?
Eric I don`t recall ever changing the damper plate since I own the boat, so I guess it´s a good opportunity to do it now, you carry them?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Quigs85SN2001 Quigs85SN2001 wrote:

Sebastian,

just spoke with bob, 420 for the reconditioned heads with my choice of ss or brass FP and drilled ready to bolt on... new not available....
So now new or used new or used tough call...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 4:13pm
I would definitely go refurb'd and save the cash over new. Dont forget that if you go with a new cam, you should strongly consider Tristate over Clearwater because of the upgraded valvesprings.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 4:22pm
they are cast plugs!!!!! lol, everybody has a little Pete in them, the holes they cover let sand out not ice
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

they are cast plugs!!!!! lol, everybody has a little Pete in them, the holes they cover let sand out not ice

technically they are core openings that are machined and fitted with stamped brass or steel plugs.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 3:36pm
Took the engine out....
lots of pics..
enjoy

engine on lifter

on the air

lifter

engine ready to go

gearbox spline

for you eric original damper plate

note the manufacture date...

lifters..

double timing chain

crank

some wear on the rod bearing..

piston

oil pump with lots of oil residue

crank bearing

crank

cylinder walls

camshaft

No major wear for what my freind told.. normal for that amount of hours...
cylinder gaskets were almost gone...but the rest its as you can see..
Let me know if you need to see any specific part as I have lots of more pictures

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 3:55pm
Options
1 new pistons on .30 and leave the rest in std measure
2 leave everything and re ring along with all bearing in std size?

Gasket any particular thing or use the ones in the kit? also thinking on the metal multilayer ones? are they good for marine use?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 4:28pm
get marine head gaskets, measure the bores, if they need re-bored then get .010-.030 oversized pistons accordingly with the proper rings to get the correct ring gap. if they don't need bore then get the proper rings so that you have the correct end gap.

Measure the main and rod journals, if one or more are egg shaded or out of round, undersized, or scored/pitted then the crank needs replaced or turned down and the apporiate bearings used (.010-.030 oversized depending on how much is removed to true them up).

You just can't reuse what you have and expect it to last or be correct, measure the parts and verify that they can be reused. No since in spending alll this money then to find out your crank is junk and you smoked the bearings or have low compression and blow-by because you didn't use the right pistons and rings.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 4:38pm
If you have a Machine Shop close by, take the Block and Crank to them and let them check the wear. They will tell you if you need the cylinders bored or just honed. They will check the Crank for wear and let you know if it needs turned or can be polished.
They will tell you the size Bearings and Rings and if you need new Pistons if they have to bore.
You do not want to have to pull this motor again. Those are the required and simplest checks.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 6:17pm
I´ll be taking all to the machine shop prior to ordering any parts..and measure all
Yes I know if I went so far better do it right once...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 7:32pm
I would say that looking at the wear pattern the crank has at least one rod journal out of round, notice the concentrated area were the wear is, should have been a little more spread out accross the surface.

Well question is now how deep are your pockets and what is the budget?

Piston's don't look too bad might be able to reuse, but .025-.030 bored over is nice too, the crank has to be turned, whats the thrust bearing look like, on the block too?, your getting a better cam and lifters, unless availibility/price is an issue, so is it budget, mild or HO build?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 10:24pm
Tomorrow I'll be taking block and crank to the machining shop.. after measureing it i will report back with conlusions...I gues I'll finish going all the way... budget is around the 3k... for that money there i can get a decent repower i bet...but a long block here after taxes is within the 6k...so it's still cheaper to go rebuilt and i get the extra power...
I mind the budget, but I like my things to perform as they should, and also I like a trouble free boating...don't like to be towed due to failures..in the nine years i own the boat I was only towed 4 times and only one being a engine failure (back fire exploted the muffler) others wer hitting things.
back to the engine i plan to rebuilt and add the extra power of the gt40p head cam reasearch cam and performer intake...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 11:24pm
going back to the cam what the break in good for?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 10:13am
if you buy a cam from cam research, he will break it in for 60.00
the only thing i noticed was some scuff in the pistons which means they were rocking in the bores, alot of times when you get scuff they will gall the piston rings in thier bores. all in all it looks like pretty normal wear.
let the machine shop do thier job and measure everything, if it doesnt need bored dont bore it, I hate when someone tells me i gotta 355 in it (chevy) there really is no HP gain from boring, not enough to notice anyways, a good work hardened block is better than new IMO, and if the bores are at 4.00 hone it and run it.   BMW racing wont use new blocks they buy them from the boneyards put them out back and pee on them for several months to cure them...then machine them, i didnt need to add that but its a good example of a used block.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 10:16am
I also noticed that you have the 2 piece fuel pump cam ecentric, when ordering specify that you need the offset timing set to accomadate the top gear, that workhorse looks like it was ready for a freshening up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 10:20am
One more thing, I did read a bulletin from Borg Warner about damper plate stress, I know you have a pcm, but if you order the damper from PCM, which is the only place you can get it, they want you to pull the damper in with bolts because it protrudes away from the flywheel about a 1/16th......not good, you need to space it out with hardened washers.

the bulletin read: in no way can you distort the plate, early failure will occur.....cant remember the rest
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 12:49pm
Kapla I Do need a another specific picture... It would be one with your wife's friend doing some wrenches on that 351!!!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Kapla I Do need a another specific picture... It would be one with your wife's friend doing some wrenches on that 351!!!

you wish.. I imagine her in the workshop jumpsuit with her face all covered in grease....
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 1:28pm

I also noticed that you have the 2 piece fuel pump cam ecentric, when ordering specify that you need the offset timing set to accomadate the top gear, that workhorse looks like it was ready for a freshening up.

thats right this offset cam should come along with the timing chain kit or should it come appart? Is It necessary to replace that part? It has to be new with the timing? I was thinking on putting an edelbrock double timing set...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 1:31pm

One more thing, I did read a bulletin from Borg Warner about damper plate stress, I know you have a pcm, but if you order the damper from PCM, which is the only place you can get it, they want you to pull the damper in with bolts because it protrudes away from the flywheel about a 1/16th......not good, you need to space it out with hardened washers.

the bulletin read: in no way can you distort the plate, early failure will occur.....cant remember the rest

actually the damper plate they now sale is a round one, it replaced the three leg style I have now...I spoke with Richard from skidim on the subject and said that this new style should do ok...
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 1:36pm
Kapla check Roberto Bettiga on price for the damper... they are not that expensive around here and he'd gladly walk you through the instalation.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 1:40pm

eric this is the part I should get? I don´t se the two piece style...
fuel cam
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

you wish.. I imagine her in the workshop jumpsuit with her face all covered in grease....

You guys are heading down a slippery slope with this, Eric's already been on here today talking about wet spots!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2009 at 2:46pm

Kapla check Roberto Bettiga on price for the damper... they are not that expensive around here and he'd gladly walk you through the instalation.

just spoke to bettigas shop.. I should take mine as a sample to see what thay got similar here.. but price are in the range of 450-500 pesos...(120-135 us)and the pcm damper with the ccf discount and after tax I estimate for 150.. I´ll stick to pcm for that difference...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 6>
  Share Topic