Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Want more sound(Holman Moody 302)

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
HM302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HM302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want more sound(Holman Moody 302)
    Posted: September-30-2008 at 8:15pm
I have a 73 model boat with a Holman Moody 302 and I want it to be a little louder than it already is. I am wondering if I can get louder manifolds or if I could actually modify the manifolds I have now to where they would be louder.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 12:03am
I can't answer your questions Ryan...but welcome....you are my kinda guy.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 12:19am
I take it that there are no mufflers ??
I have no mufflers on my 80 and it seems loud to me.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 12:47am
HM302 add a set of GT-40 heads and a set of Hi-Tek Stainles Steel Exhaust manifolds.These two mods will possibly get you a citation from the Water Cops.
The heads will raise your compression ratio the manifolds will increase flow.Your little 302 will pick up a few HP and loose some weight to boot. Both are a win win in a boat..........Boat dr
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 12:50am
You lnow there are no mufflers on my '80 Roger and I admit it is very loud. Just the way I like it.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 2:28am
John, I think that you and I are right on with the 80s. No mufflers needed. Keeps the mosquitoes away.

I asked Reid to take my boat out at GL to help me with a vibration. His 1st comment was that there were no mufflers.. then he nailed the vibration to the Prop. So I guess the noise did not distract him.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 2:38am
What prop you running? I have an Acme 540...love it. Also have an OJ 13x13 Legend...this is good too. In fact..MM likes to borrow it from me.
Love them loud 80's don't we?
Reid is a pretty handy guy to know.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 10:44am
HM302/Ryan; You're the first guy I've ever heard say that his 302 HM wasn't loud enough, as they typically seem to be the loudest. Now while I hardly EVER disagree with the BoatDr, I'm not sure of two things: I'm big on the GT-40 heads, but your vintage 302 came with 351 small chamber heads which result in about the same comp ratio as the regular GT-40's. Boatdr is thinking about the more commom later model 302/351 heads which had small valves and large (low compression)chambers. As for the manifolds, JoeinNY and a few others feel that the aluminum HM's might be louder than the stainless Hi-Teks. So unless someone had installed mufflers in your boat over the years, there's little you can do to make it louder without internal mods to raise your compression and changing a cam, but that's quite a bit of work. I can certainly testify that my HM302 is now VERY loud, so since you're not too far from me we should plan to meet up sometime and you can hear it run and see if that's what you're really after. Give me a call sometime if you like. 704-451-5080.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:23am
Reid, I'd say your boat won the award for loudest boat at Lake George. Even louder that Tim B's SN. I didn't think JoeNY's with the High Techs seemed as loud as Tim's. Maybe something to do with Tim's SS pipes? But, your boat was louder than both. It also seemed to vary more from quiet to very loud. Almost like a cut out.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:45am
Ryan,
At 21 you shouldn't be needing hearing aids yet so hopefully that's not it. I agree with Reid on this one. I too have never heard of anyone wanting to increase the H/M's sound level. I can here one start up from the other side of the lake and know it's a H/M from the distinctive bark they make. The only louder boats are V drives or I/O's with rear mounted engines and short through the transom exhausts. (H/M rear engines especially!!)

Have you had this boat for awhile or just get it? Does it have the original H/M manifolds or has someone put on generic cast irons? Like Reid mentioned, maybe a PO put mufflers on it! Get a flashlight and look up the exhaust pipes for signs of mufflers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 12:01pm
I almost suspect shananigans here, either non original manifolds in play or something odd in between the exhaust and outlet. Either way I have never seen a holman moody I/o setup and would love to see some pictures.

I tend to agree with Reid that heads and hitek manifolds on the HM/302 are probably not going to all that pronounced a difference at least not for the price. HM's have relatively good equipment to begin with, the heads are decent and the exhaust relatively lightweight and normally very loud even stock.

I have not played with the HM manifolds much but I know that some fairly heavy porting helped my aluminum commander style manifolds. I agree with Riley my boat with the Hitek's is not all that loud compared to Reids with HM manifolds, and my 83 with a 408 higher compression bigger cam no mufflers, steel pipe, etc is nowhere near as loud as my 67 with a fairly stout 302 and 3 inch aluminum manifolds not even close...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 1:22pm
I agree with Joe and Reid. The '73 with the H-M manifolds is the loudest CC Ive ever heard. Definitely louder than my '90, which I think is comparable to the stock H-M Mustangs Ive heard.

We shouldnt forget that Ryan doesnt have a CC, though- so the exhaust set up is a bit of a question mark. Like Joe said, whether or not the boat still has the original manifolds is still a question mark. Who knows if there are any mufflers. I also cannot tell if the exhaust outlets are 3" like CC would have used... If not, then enlarging those would probably be the easiest way to gain sound.

Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 1:57pm
1. Exhaust
2. Cam
3. Compression

My '76 is fairly loud. It has 9:1 compression (for 87 octane) and 224@.050 cam.

I don't like the OSCO (aftermarket PCM) manifolds as It's my opinion they're too restrictive! But...I'm too cheap to buy some HiTeks. I keep checking ebay for some better manifolds but can't find any!

No doubt compression and cam will make it louder. My race car will make your ears ring! 14.5:1 w/ 273@.050! I wear ear plugs!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I almost suspect shananigans here

Interesting!! I didn't connect the Dixie boat with H/M302 ether. I'd like to see some pictures too. Joe, the only H/M I/O's I've ever seen are in the Donzi's.

Who on site has extra "powered by H/M" decals??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I almost suspect shananigans here

Interesting!! I didn't connect the Dixie boat with H/M302 ether. I'd like to see some pictures too. Joe, the only H/M I/O's I've ever seen are in the Donzi's.

Who on site has extra "powered by H/M" decals??

OK, I'm lost or did I miss a post? How did Tim know that Ryan's wasn't a CC and is that Ryan's Dixie. The Dixie boats were built close by Charlotte and actually quite a few came with HM's back in the day.

As for the decal Pete, if you hadn't seen it already, you can get one here:     http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1960s-Holman-Moody-Patch-Decal-Lot-of-3pcs_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem130259044762QQitemZ130259044762 or here: http://www.holmanmoody.com/parts1.html

EDIT: Duh!! Nevermind, as I just found the post about the Dixie in the other posting.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

HM302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HM302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 5:18pm
Well sorry for the slow response but here are some more pictures.

Ive had the boat and been running it the past two summers over here on W. Kerr Scott. Next year I really want to go up to Lake Norman as much as I can. She sounds real good and is loud but I guess I am just looking for a little more, haha. Thanks for all the good info and responses so far fellas...
oh and as for those stickers I just went to the holman moody website and then called them and ordered them

HM302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HM302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 5:23pm
Oh yea and sorry I didnt specify that it wasnt a Correct Craft. I just never can find any good info or anybody to talk to about Dixie boats and I thought this website seemed really cool, I figured I could atleast have some people to talk to about my motor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ryan,
At 21 you shouldn't be needing hearing aids yet so hopefully that's not it. The only louder boats are V drives or I/O's with rear mounted engines and short through the transom exhausts. (H/M rear engines especially!!)

Ryan,
Well, now I may have spoke too soon regarding the hearing aids!! Thanks for the pictures. A rear H/M with above the waterline through the transom exhaust - you can't get much louder! How about over the top straight pipes???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 5:37pm
You are always welcome here
This is a friendly place.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
HM302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HM302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 5:42pm
Haha maybe I do need hearin aids, everything I drive is straight piped, I love lots of sound

thanks critter
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 6:16pm
Whats the diameter on them there thruhulls, I almost want to say they are not 3 inches...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 7:14pm

Whats the diameter on them there thruhulls, I almost want to say they are not 3 inches...

Good eye Joe!! A 3" or 3-1/2" O.D. on those thru hulls would certainly make it talk out loud. Ryan, you'd need a spacer of some sort around the end of the manifold (thin strip of 3" hose), but then you could go with the 3-1/2" thru-hulls for extra noise. I bought a set of these (3") and they are NICE!! http://www.buckalgonquin.com/pages/ProductPages/exhaust/tran_exh_stra_page.html
I know converting a Correct Craft from the smaller 2-1/2" thru-hulls found on many pre-70's boats to a 3" system definitely adds to the sound. FYI, most CC's with small block Interceptors, Grays, and pre '67-'68 Chryslers (poly 318's) used the smaller exhaust pipes. The HM's and later small block Chryslers all had 3" exh manifolds which dictated the hose and thru-hull size and that became the norm. Most big blocks were 3" I believe.   

Oh, and Ryan, I love those valve covers. But you've got to clean them up!
ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I also cannot tell if the exhaust outlets are 3" like CC would have used... If not, then enlarging those would probably be the easiest way to gain sound.

Geez guys, didnt I already say that?

Just busting your balls- Im positive that particular tidbit originally came from a conversation I had with Mr. P.

Id be curious to hear how that Dixie runs out... and definitely clean up those valve covers!
HM302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HM302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 10:43pm
Yall know your stuff, I just measured my exhaust outlets and they are only 2 3/8". Those thru-hulls are nice reid. I think I want me some 3.5" ones. What would I need spacer wise like you were talking about? I kinda would like to get new rubber hoses on both ends that are more smoother instead of the ones with ridges.

Yea I plan on cleaning them up and doing some other odds and ends to her over the winter, I guess I have been to caught up with having so much fun driving her around on the lake all the time.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:13pm
Ryan I don't think you could make that sharp bend with smooth hose maybe someone will have an idea-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:13pm
Crusader engines from the very early 70's like TRBenj (Tim's)with log manifolds used a 2-1/2" outlet on the exh's but used a short "sleeve?" of 2-1/2" hose around the exh outlet and then put the 3" full-length hose over that. That was the simple spacer type deal I was refering to above. It would be best to see if you can't find some pre-bent rubber hoses in the 3-1/2" dia as the exh hose will be hard to bend that tight. You may have to find some tight radias pipe in stainless, fiberglass or some other material and just use some very short pieces of rubber hose to make the connections, as you don't appear to have much horizontal distance to work with.

Tim, sorry we missed your initial revelation.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:29pm
Wow. Looking back at the pict showing the flex hose in the radias, it might be better to at least look at welding a SS radius to the inside of the thru-hull. It'd have to be such that the radius would fit thru the transom hole of course. You could end up with a slick mini-version of Tim's SS exh. Look that up if you haven't seen it already Ryan.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

HM302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HM302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:30pm
If I use some 3.5" pre bent house then I can probably use smaller pieces of hose to put around my manifold and then just put my 3.5" piece over those and then tighten her down? I think thats what you were saying right
Do you remember how much those thru hulls were?..polished stainless
HM302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HM302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:32pm
How would I find that setup you just mentioned?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:35pm
In terms of the smaller pieces, that's exactly what I was talking about.

As for Tim's set-up I should have been more specific as he has a plethora of CC's here.
http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6888
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic