NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do you identify year model

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
bobzilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you identify year model
    Posted: August-20-2008 at 11:04pm
I am a demolition contractor in Metro Atlanta.
I loaned one of my John Deere excavators to a friend to clean up a property he bought. The property had two boats that have become mine.I noticed one of the boats was a ski boat, and upon further inspection I discovered it had a Ski Nautique emblem above the center dash guage panel. The thing that really caught my eye was the 318 chrysler engine. The boat is has rotten stringers but the hull appears good.I am trying to identify the year model.I found a tag on the left side of the engine that is attached to the stringer that has SN(serial number I am assuming)1483. The engine is an LM318 serial number 105352. can anyone tell me what year and possibly model this boat is?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 12:23am
If you can get up some pictures that would really help. In the mean time, have you discovered this site's "reference" section. In there you will find brochures for most of the last 40-50 years. You can do some comparing to the pictures to start zeroing in on what boat you may have.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 12:31am
Look for some digits stamped into the top right hand side of the back end of the boat, just under the rub rail.
bobzilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 12:36am
Thanks 75, I can get pics.I have looked at the sales literature.If I had to venture a guess I would say it is a 66-69 model.It appears to have only two bucket seats in the front and no rear bench. I have searched the web for info, and this site seems to be the most informative.I am used to messing with old corvettes and though like a vette I could find a serial number range by year or something on the chrysler engine but there just isn't alot of info out there. I used to be an avid skier and always admired the old wooden nautiques I saw on the lake(although few and far between).back then I could never afford one, now I can afford but just don't have the time LOL.
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:18am
Bobzilla, wait till tomorrow and I can look in my book of vin numbers and I can tell you the year. The model is an Ski Nautique because of the SN on the tag. Hope this will help you.

And welcome to the site!!
bobzilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:23am
Thanks Hollywood i had read somewhere that on the right side of the transom there would be a number.The boat is still in a barn and I have to remove some trees to get it out.I will go by tomorrow and take some pics also.I saw no markings on the outside of the hull, but I haven't had good lighting to view the boat.It was very difficult to get the numbers off the engine. Should the transom numbers match the tag on the stringer?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:43am
Bobzilla, you already have the number from the tag. In the 70's they started to put the hull vin number on the back right hand side by the rub rail. For the eariler models the number was put on a tag by the engine or under the dash and also by the throttle.
bobzilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:56am
Thanks Godfather, That would be a great help.I never thought that the sn would stand for Ski Nautique. But it makes sense.Y'all have been a big help, and I appreciate the welcome.I can tell you anything about a corvette but I am new to nautiques.I thought they were all chevrolet and ford powered. The neatest thing I learned in researching these boats were some of the names like barracuda (I am assuming chyrler powered) and mustang(I assume ford powered). I do everything on my vette including alignment in my own garage, so I don't thing the rebuilding of this boat will be tough, just time consuming.I know with this site I can find answers to my tech questions.I know that soon I will probably be able to help others(at least by the time this boat is rebuilt and in the water) I want to keep it original, but I think I would like to tweek the engine with a nice low end cam,maybe a .030 overbore and a good tuning. I can't wait to hear it run.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 2:06am
Bob, what year Corvette do you have ?
I have a 73 out in the garage that I need to finish putting the interior back in.
Oil pressure guage leaked behind the dash and soaked the carpet before I noticed it.
Like I do not have enough projects going...

Happy to hear another restoration is going to happen.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
bobzilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 2:09am
Thanks again Godfather, So with the lack of the transom numbers(first place i looked) My assumption of 66-69 has got to be close.From what I read on Chrysler marine engines and looking at the engine itself I made late 60's assumption.It doesn't look to have been worked on by Bubba, so I would bet I could get date codes on the engine intake or block also. I looked around the throttle and there was a tag that was unreadable on the dash between the steering wheel and the throttle.I didn't think about under the dash.Thanks for all the info.
bobzilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 2:18am
Critter, I have a 74 L-82 matching numbers car.It is a convertible with the 4 speed and posi rear. whats your 73, got under the hood?
Is it a vert? I was trying to talk my wife into getting rid of her tahoe and buying a 78 pacecar or an 82 collectors edition, but it appears the Tahoe will have boat pulling duty soon.
bobzilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 2:26am
Critter, I looked at your 80 Ski Nautique.You have a beautiful boat.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 2:34am
Bob, the 73 is matching numbers original 350. I have had the car since 90 and has been a daily driver until the oil leak.
Just a nice stock White with Tan leather interior vette.
I do like the convertibles better than the T-Tops but I got what I got.

Sorry for the threadjack.... back to CCs.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 9:03am
Bob,
The plate you found on the stringer is the model/serial no.
And as you might guess, a guy with a name like The Godfather will in fact have the exact date of manufacture, and maybe more info on your boat. Keep watching this morning! My guess would be a mid 60s nautique, wait till you here that thing run, your going to love it
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 11:15am
Bob, If you decide to tackle this job of restoring then Buffalogreg would be the man to talk too. Check out "Weedin the pumpkin patch" for all the pics. He's on Lanier so he's not too far from you. Shoot, you might even talk him into helping you out if Amy will give him a "Kitchen Pass"!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 12:50pm
LOL Tim!

I'd be more than happy to help with your stringer project, please ask whatever. Bob, maybe you could help me with my late ignition timing on my 454?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

LOL Tim!

I'd be more than happy to help with your stringer project, please ask whatever. Bob, maybe you could help me with my late ignition timing on my 454?

you still haven't got the timing light out, come on get on the ball.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

you still haven't got the timing light out, come on get on the ball.

I've had the timing light out many times...along with the vacuum gauge, comp tester, and volt meter. Everywhere I've looked says that low, steady vacuum indicates a leak at the intake, ignition problem, or late valve timing. I believe I eliminated the 1st two.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:41pm
i'm just wondering if you have the gear to the cam off some. Sometimes there is built in advance or retard depending on the gears manufacturer and the way it's mounted. By chance did you use a degree wheel to degree the cam correctly on the install?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

By chance did you use a degree wheel to degree the cam correctly on the install?

I didn't, but that's next. I should've asked in the first place because the indicator marks are different on this gear set.

I'm stomping all over this guy's thread...I'll start a new 1 when I feel like messing with it again. Last time I took it apart on the water; what a PITA. It's running well enough to ride this w/e, and then it'll have to come out anyway.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 2:03pm
once he gets Dave the tag info he'll have his answer.
bobzilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 4:36pm
Thanks guy's I appreciate all the help. Buffalo run that 454's balancer around till the line on the balancer lines uo with the 0 mark on the timing marker. Verify that both of the #1 valves are closed(take off the right side valve cover if you are looking at the engine from the front)this will let you look at the rockers to verify.Then remove the cap and make sure that the rotor is pointing in close proximity to the #1 plug wire in the distributor.If all of this is correct take a dial up timing light (you can dial in the advance)dissconnect the vacuum advance if any, and rev the engine to 2500 RPM. Set the timing to 36 degrees total timing at 2500 RPM, this should give you around 1o-12 degrees advance at idle.Make sure when you rev the engine that all timing(centrifigul advance)is in around 2,000-2,500. The first steps should verify cam timing without degreeing. You can buy keys to advance the crank gear forward or back about 4 degrees if neccesary. With a low vacuum reading at idle you either have too much duration(high rpm cam such as l88 427 cam).Do you know what the cam specs are?I tuned a 70 chevelle for a friend last week that had been cloned into an ss454. He had the l88 cam and would pull 12 hg at idle I set the total timing to 38 degrees(some engines will take this with out pinging) I set his holley carb idle screws to maximum vacuum and the vacuum came up to about 17.I then set the idle down to 750, which lowered vacuum of course.I would recommend buying a mr gasket advance curve kit, reuse your old weights(they are better than the mr gasket weights and install one light and one medium spring(you can experiment with these).this combination of springs should give you a good advance curve out of the box. I am used to tuning cars but I would imagine boats are the same. we all want low end torque on the street and I would imagine a boat would be the same, I have had outboards and I have built them and tuned them, but I wasn't as knowledgeable back then.If your cam timing is off you should be able to compensate at the distributor(moving one tooth advanced or retarded.I am more than happy to swap info, I am not a woodworker, but I am fixin to be one.I figured that with a name like Godfather I was going to get information I couldn't refuse LOL.I am here to help guys and believe me I will ask for help. I learn something new everyday.Try my idea Buffalo and let me know how it comes out.Is there any water in Lanier, I was on the lake in marck demolishing a house up off of 369(down some side streets) and the water looked to be about 15' down. Allatoona is down a little right now but It seemed that they slowed the outflow down and had a pretty good pool this summer, the worst summer level I ever saw on allatoona was the summer of 86 , 88 got kinda low too.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by bobzilla bobzilla wrote:

Set the timing to 36 degrees total timing at 2500 RPM, this should give you around 1o-12 degrees advance at idle.

You mean to tell me that his 454 should have a distributor set up to have ~24 degrees of advance? Greg, isnt that what Performance Distributors set you up with? How can that be- those DUI guys dont know their ass from a hole in the ground, right Chris?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 4:58pm
Bob Buffalo has been chasing the problem for a while now on is fresh rebuild so it's a little fustrating to him and it's funning you mention the curve profile, sounds like something I said some time ago on the Topic.

But Dave aka The GodFather is our resident inside man at Correct Craft for all of us Fans of these great boats so try and track down the ID tag on the stringer and post the Info and he will have more information than you could ever ask for as he is the GODFATHER OF CC .

post some picture too if you can that will narrow it down some as a lot here have a pretty good eye for detail and it won't tak but a few hours to figure out exactly what you have.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by bobzilla bobzilla wrote:

Set the timing to 36 degrees total timing at 2500 RPM, this should give you around 1o-12 degrees advance at idle.

You mean to tell me that his 454 should have a distributor set up to have ~24 degrees of advance? Greg, isnt that what Performance Distributors set you up with? How can that be- those DUI guys dont know their ass from a hole in the ground, right Chris?

maybe you missed a key point 2000-2500 RPM not 3000 RPM where it's to late to be advancing, but then I would expect that from someone like you to over look a very critical point. So yes they still have their head you know where. And if you recall I said actual degrees of advance and I don't talk like 24 degrees is the final advance like you. You assume that since you have 10 initial and with 24 possible then it should be 34 total. I prefer to talk about actuall verified readings not some assumption you like to use that just makes an ass out of your self when it's not what you assumed it was. And if You recall I also stated it's odd three diferent engine and cam set-ups have the exact same amount of advance, seems pretty odd to my seeing one has another 100 cubic inches. So if you want to twist and turn and take stuff out of context to try and use to your advantage better keep trying because your heads still up your ass with them.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 11:54pm
Hello Bobzilla, well you asked..
Your boat was built on 2/09/1967.

The engine serial number is 105352, 210 Chrysler. I hope this will help you.

Join the club now you owe me..
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 12:11am
That's great, now we know what he's got. Now where can we find a picture of a 1967 Nautique with a 318 until he gets his posted.

Oh here's one.

67 Nautique 318-1

I'm stunned. Who would have thought that?
There must be someone else out there with one. Oh, yeah, here's one.

67 Nautique 318-2

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 12:13am
"Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me." Don Corleone, the Godfather.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

bobzilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 12:20am
Gentlemen, The timing techniques i have shared come from the papers of Lars Grimsrud. http://home.comcast.net/~chadwick.robert/howto.pdf                                           is a link to his timing papers. i have gone back and forth with Lars in e-mails reguarding timing and distributor curve.
I have read that maximum power from any cubic inch displacement comes with the "all in" by 2500 rpm and 36 degrees total timing (strange but true)apparently all engines like to be fired 36 degrees(or more) before TDC to make maximum power, I would think there is a point where more timing makes less power. I am about to try this trick on both of my dad's corvairs. Vacuum advance is used at idle (if needed) to increase the 10-12 degrees before TDC to as much as 24 degrees or more at idle.Keep in mind this is advance is pulled by manifold vacuum and low vacuum will not pull a typical stock advance unit. You have to use a different advance unit on the distributor, general motors has one that pulls at 8 hg to maximun advance. when you come off idle and accelerate manifold vacuum falls off(as does timing)and centrifugul takes over, and port vacuum increases(pulled above the venturi in the carb if I remember right).So if you have low vacuum at idle and a stock vacuum advance you have no advance at idle.You definately want all advance in before redline or it is not usable. Make sure with the timing light that the mark isn't bouncing a sign of a distributor that needs shimmed or bushed or a loose advance plate.Buffalo, I would love to help you straighten out your BB.79 the advance curve is very important. the most important thing is set the total timing at 2500 rpm and let initial timing fall where it may, you can always compensate at idle.Buffalo my e-mail is bdammcc@bellsouth.net if you can e-mail me your cam specs, carb size/mechanical or vacuum secondaries,type distributor HEI, Points type
How the plugs are coloring white(lean)Black(rich) Brown(just right).Your 454 should pull stumps from the bottom of the lake.
bobzilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 12:38am
Originally posted by The Godfather The Godfather wrote:

Hello Bobzilla, well you asked..
Your boat was built on 2/09/1967.

The engine serial number is 105352, 210 Chrysler. I hope this will help you.

Join the club now you owe me..

Do I need to put some concrete shoes on somebody LOL? Thank you Godfather I'm glad to be a member of the "family" and that is the serial number on the tag. I am pretty good at dating houses that I tear down, even when property taxes say otherwise. I thought like I said before that it was a 66-69 by looking at the engine and the sales brochures.The boat is light blue/maybe turquoise on top with a white hull.I was thinking of making it red/white or yellow/white. what colors were available from the factory? I want to keep it as original as possible.the picture links are right on except the Correct Craft script at the rear on the sides of the hull are missing(no holes either) and the transom has nothing on it.the only thing that told me it was a Correct craft was the ski Nautique script on the dash.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic