Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine starts without turning key

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
toolman5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolman5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 4:18pm
88 Nautique - yes, that is what I did and it was 12 volts plus.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 4:28pm
you have the wrong relay or you have the wiring wrong, or you have really old automotive cables that are under sized and dirty, also if your battery is undersized your going to have issue as well with the ford starter.

not sure that the diagram is right in regard to the excitor wire going back to the ballast resistor. Don't believe that is the proper location, should only be a purple wire going to it.
toolman5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolman5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 5:33pm
Well, I am not sure about the relay or the wiring, I think they are right but who knows. The battery cables are brand new. The battery is brand new and has 775 CCA, which I believe is more than sufficient, is that right?
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 6:39pm
Make sure the back plate of the solenoid is grounded to the engine block. Mine is mounted to a bracket which is mounted directly to the block. Make sure the ignition/start lead is hooked up to the "S" terminal. (I don't believe the "I" terminal is used in your application.)
Also, I'm not clear. Did you replace the solenoid?
toolman5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolman5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 6:43pm
88 Nautique - Yes, replaced it twice.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 7:47pm
what gauge cables did you buy?
toolman5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolman5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 8:35pm
ok, well we found out what the problem is..it is the starter. I was buying a automotive starter (we thought someone said there was no difference between a auto and a marine starter) and the difference is that the auto one is operating in reverse of the engine unlike the marine starter that goes in the same direction. That is also why the engine is not firing. So, around here if we go to a Marine store the starter is $200 - $300 but online I see brand new ones that come with a wiring kit for about $179 or a rebuilt from $55.00. The $55.00 one sounds scary but who wants to pay more than you have to. Any comments?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by toolman5 toolman5 wrote:

ok, well we found out what the problem is..it is the starter. I was buying a automotive starter (we thought someone said there was no difference between a auto and a marine starter) and the difference is that the auto one is operating in reverse of the engine unlike the marine starter that goes in the same direction. That is also why the engine is not firing. So, around here if we go to a Marine store the starter is $200 - $300 but online I see brand new ones that come with a wiring kit for about $179 or a rebuilt from $55.00. The $55.00 one sounds scary but who wants to pay more than you have to. Any comments?

Not all marine starters are for reverse rotation motors. You need a CCW starter. Theyre getting harder and harder to find- expect to pay upwards of $200.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Have the starter checked again. NOT at Checker!! Seen if you can find a shop that rebuilds alternators and starters. They are usually listed under "auto - electric".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
HOLESHOT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLESHOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 2:24am
so was i right?
IF IT HAS A SPARKPLUG I CAN FIX IT
HOLESHOT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLESHOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 7:06pm
toolman buy a new one from ski dim the rebuilds dont last its probaly to late to get your old one back but if u can have it rebuilt
IF IT HAS A SPARKPLUG I CAN FIX IT
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by HOLESHOT HOLESHOT wrote:

toolman buy a new one from ski dim the rebuilds dont last its probaly to late to get your old one back but if u can have it rebuilt

Huh? First you tell him not to get a rebuild because they don't last and the you tell him to have it rebuilt??

If you are referring to buying a rebuild from a auto supply, then I agree plus, you will not typically find a RR starter there. Now, if you are suggesting taking the old starter to a reputable auto/electric rebuild shop it has been mentioned.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Sk8Nautique91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sk8Nautique91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 10:55pm
i have a 91 sport nautique that has the exact same problem,but im no electrician and lost all paitenice in trying to fix her with my limited knowlage.i have also replaced every part in the starting system and nothing has fixed the constant starting problem.If anyone lives around orlando that could help me, i would compensate you for your time. Sorry for the thread jack but im dying to use my boat again!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic