Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Calling all PCM GT40 Owners

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
fredo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling all PCM GT40 Owners
    Posted: April-01-2008 at 2:18pm
I was hoping I could get some help from some of the GT40 ProBoss owners out there. I've got an 86 Ski Centurion TruTrac II (may be taboo around here, but I hope not) that is in great shape except for the engine. I found a good deal on a GT40 ProBoss out of an '01 Nautique that needed to be rebuilt. I have since rebuilt the engine and am working on the installation. I've got just about everything figured out except for a little bit of the wiring and a question on the fuel system.
The issues I'm having are on the front of the engine, there are a series of wires coming out of the harness that simply have eyelets on them to connect. One of them goes to the top of the water pump where there is a temp sensor. I believe this wire to be light tan. There are also three wires I believe to go to the alternator. What I can't figure out is there are two oil pressure sensors over by the filter and I don't know which wires are supposed to go to them. I know one of them gets a sheathed tan/black wire, but I don't know what is supposed to hook to the other one. If anybody could take a look, or possibly post a picture or two of the areas in question, I would greatly appreciate it.
The other question I have is on the fuel system. There is a hose coming off of the Fuel Control Cell that in the book shows to be a vent. I need to know if this is supposed to vent back to the tank, or vent to somewhere on the intake manifold.

If anybody can help, I would greatly appreciate it. I've been reading through this board and using the resources for about a month now and this seems like a good place to get help. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 2:25pm
well your harness isn't going to be the same as what's on a real boat, so you need to be looking at a centurion, it's the same block but might not have the same sensors as a CC
fredo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 3:18pm
I don't think you're quite getting what I'm talking about. The centurion was originally a PCM marinization. The pinout on the plug where it hooks to the boat is actually exactly the same as the pinout for where the GT40 harness ties into the boat. The harness that is on the engine, to manage the pro-boss injection system is exactly the same as what would be on an '01 nautique. Other than an audible alarm, the wiring on the boat side to the ignition and gauges is basically identical. What I need to know is how the engine management harness was originally ran on the engine. I can't tell which wire was hooked to the two oil pressure sensors, and the sensor on top of the water pump.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by fredo fredo wrote:

Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

well your harness isn't going to be the same as what's on a real boat, so you need to be looking at a centurion

I also don't know if this was a shot at me or not for owning something besides "a real boat" aka nautique, but if it was and this is typical of the responses I will get on this board, I guess I can take my questions elsewhere if need be.

Fredo, dont mind '79- hes still brushing up on his people skills. We may be CC nuts, but we welcome all types here. Stick around.

Im not overly familiar with the wiring of the GT40, but someone here will be able to help. Have you checked the GT40 Service Manual in the reference section?
fredo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 3:38pm
Thanks for the link. I've printed that manual out before. It has helped a bunch so far. It show's the tan/black wires going to the temp sensor on the intake, and the other going to one of the two oil pressure sending units. Either I missed it or it doesn't show what hooks to the coolant temp sensor on the water pump and the secondary oil pressure sensor. Also, it shows that the hose coming off of the Fuel Control Cell is supposed to be a vent, but I want to confirm if this just needs to vent to the upper intake manifold, or if it needs to vent all the way back to the fuel tank. Thanks again to anyone willing to help.

Also, just for further clarification, I'm using the ENTIRE GT40 Proboss 351. Injection system and all. From fancy plastic engine cover to oil pan.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 3:42pm
I can take a look at my motor for you regarding the wire connections. There is a return line for fuel from the FCC that has to go to the gas tank. The low pressure fuel pump pumps a constant amount of fuel into that bowl. The excess, and the excess from the high pressure pump after it exits the fuel rail, goes back into the tank via that line.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 4:02pm
just because it is a PCM doesn't mean anything might have a lot of common stuff but the customer can and does request changes to meet their design specifications. So just because they have the same pin outs doesn't mean they have the same location or number of sensor's where the wires are going. It is also possible the the resistance of the sensors can be different too.

It really shouldn't be that hard to figure out if they do match up then the wores so lay out exactly where they should go I know that was the case when I replace the harness on my CC years ago, didn't need a wiring diagram to figure it other than back by the curcuit breaker.
fredo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 5:19pm
m3fan, thanks for checking for me. I figured that had to be a fuel return line coming off of the FCC, but I swear I remember reading something about that line being a vent to the intake manifold somewhere in that manual. Maybe I misread something.
fredo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 5:29pm

just because it is a PCM doesn't mean anything might have a lot of common stuff but the customer can and does request changes to meet their design specifications. So just because they have the same pin outs doesn't mean they have the same location or number of sensor's where the wires are going. It is also possible the the resistance of the sensors can be different too.

It really shouldn't be that hard to figure out if they do match up then the wores so lay out exactly where they should go I know that was the case when I replace the harness on my CC years ago, didn't need a wiring diagram to figure it other than back by the curcuit breaker.

Look, you might have rewired your nautique and you think that makes you some sort of wiring expert, but rewiring a carbed v8 in a boat from the late 70's is a little different than what I'm doing here.
You don't think I've thought there might be differences in pinout and resistance on the sending units? I realize they might not be the same sending units. Once again, that's partially why I want to know what wires go to which sending unit. The GT40 has dual sending units. One set for the computer, and one set for the instrumentation. The wiring diagrams do not specify which sending unit goes to which and they don't look the same. So I want to know which wires go to which sending units so I can verify that my gauges will in fact work, or if I'm going to have to change them. Thanks for the criticism though.    
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 5:58pm

Look, you might have rewired your nautique and you think that makes you some sort of wiring expert, but rewiring a carbed v8 in a boat from the late 70's is a little different than what I'm doing here.
You don't think I've thought there might be differences in pinout and resistance on the sending units? I realize they might not be the same sending units. Once again, that's partially why I want to know what wires go to which sending unit. The GT40 has dual sending units. One set for the computer, and one set for the instrumentation. The wiring diagrams do not specify which sending unit goes to which and they don't look the same. So I want to know which wires go to which sending units so I can verify that my gauges will in fact work, or if I'm going to have to change them. Thanks for the criticism though.    

you assume that I know nothing about EFI motors and your completely off base with that assumption. I know quite abit about motors as a whole whether it's an old carb'd motor or a fuel injected motor, be it TBI or a MPI system they are all basicly the same one just has more injectors and more sensors too. So think what you want, your the fool that thought the intake needs to be vented to the gas tank, But guess you do know more about EFI motors than I might but then all fuel injected/high pressure fuel systems have a return line to the tank basic 101 EFI and it's not because of emission standards.

Besides I've never did any design work for a fuel injected motor's engine management system at all, just a couple hundered thousand or maybe a couple million samples that are on the road today and might be in your drive way too but then I'm sure you don't buy American so maybe not.

but then again I would have just grounded the lead to see if the gauge moved or not to figure out which one it was since I wasn't smart enough to remember where they went. so don't ware your emotions on your sleeve and start complaining about me because you are barking up the wrong tree.
fredo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 6:09pm
Man, you ARE a badass. Look, I know enough about fuel injection to know that MOST systems have a return line. I was simply asking because the GT40 service manual makes reference otherwise. That's great you know a lot about fuel injection. I was simply trying to see if someone who owned one could provide me with a little help to save me some time. Diagnosing 4 sending units isn't a major deal, but I figured if I could rule out the two for the computer right off the bat, then I could move on to the next step. It's not that I didn't remember where they went, it's the harness was already off the motor when I got it. Sorry if you think I "wear my emotions on my sleeve", but you jumped in acting like a prick right off the bat simply because I don't own a nautique, so sorry if I seem short with you but you aren't helping. I'm pretty sure the title of this post is "calling all GT40 owners" not "calling all pompus pricks that think they know everything"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 6:18pm

Man, you ARE a badass. Look, I know enough about fuel injection to know that MOST systems have a return line. I was simply asking because the GT40 service manual makes reference otherwise. That's great you know a lot about fuel injection. I was simply trying to see if someone who owned one could provide me with a little help to save me some time. Diagnosing 4 sending units isn't a major deal, but I figured if I could rule out the two for the computer right off the bat, then I could move on to the next step. It's not that I didn't remember where they went, it's the harness was already off the motor when I got it. Sorry if you think I "wear my emotions on my sleeve", but you jumped in acting like a prick right off the bat simply because I don't own a nautique, so sorry if I seem short with you but you aren't helping. I'm pretty sure the title of this post is "calling all GT40 owners" not "calling all pompus pricks that think they know everything"

again you made assumptions that where wrong to start with, it's common on here to jab the other guys boat's as it is a CC site, so if you wheren't so uptight then maybe you would have taken a lighter approach like most of the other guys that don't have CC's on here and been light hearted about it but then maybe you all ready stated a fact about your self how do you spell that word I'm thinnking of hipo... or pomus what... Sorry guess I'm not at your level.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 6:21pm
fredo, save your breath- it's not worth it. This is 79's way of breaking in new members. Stick around and I'll have your answer when I get back home.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

fredo, save your breath- it's not worth it. This is 79's way of breaking in new members. Stick around and I'll have your answer when I get back home.

no just made a simple statement that the boat's harness may not be the same and he gets all bent out of shape, oh well nothing I can do about that Joel.
fredo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 6:38pm
Sorry, I left a letter out of pompous. Thanks for the spelling correction. Sorry to everyone else that my first post on this site has turned into a pissing match. 79, it might come off more as lighthearted ribbing if you used more smileys than the    You came off as a prick, and from what I gathered by M3 saying that you are working on your people skills, I figured that was his way of saying you were an ass. Guess I could be wrong.

M3, thanks again for the help.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 6:50pm
fredo, you are WRONG, people skills, Chris is a little shy in that department. Boat knowledge and the components that all fit together to form that money pit where we chunk our change , this is home turf......
Every newbie that comes here gets the same treatment,being that you own brand X boat does not help your case with him at all.
I have said it before and it is worth repeating, he is the guy that will call you out and give you a good CUSSING,and show up at you doorstep Saturday AM and help you rebuild your motor.......
No praise just facts.........Boat dr
fredo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 6:52pm

but then you didn't choose to do that you chose to show your glut enstead.

"enstead" is spelled Instead.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 7:08pm
I am missing something or does not the first post make it clear that he is using a motor and harness out of an 01 Nautique. Its a good question and the right place to ask it.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 7:23pm
Ease up fredo...if my count is right you have 5 of the most knowlegable members of this site interested in your thread. Give it a chance to be a joke among friends and you will benefit from this little place in the world. I've been here almost a year and have 0 regrets! (<<<-a few happier faces for you)
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 7:54pm
I would say correcting 79's spelling is definitely barking up the wrong tree.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 12:09am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I am missing something or does not the first post make it clear that he is using a motor and harness out of an 01 Nautique. Its a good question and the right place to ask it.   

Well I took it as he was using the centurion harness with the 01, why remove the harness on it,(01) when the plugs are the same to connect to the hull's harness? or is that just to easy? oooh sorry Joe see it was rebuild now that I look back
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 1:12am
Here you go.

If you look really closely you can find most of your answers.

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

fredo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 3:38am
M3...you're a good man. EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch!

While I finish getting the rest of the wiring hooked up/sorted out, I'm waiting on a few parts to show up. Some new water hoses, an impeller, cap, rotor, plug wires, and new exhaust tubing. After that, it'll be ready for a test fire. I don't have any pictures yet, but I'll get some if you're interested in seeing the install. It's not much to look at right now except for a pretty motor sitting in a bare floor.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 9:24am
Fredo, Welcome to the site. Sorry you had to go through that nonsense, read between the lines and let it go. Hope M3fans' pics help you out, he's a passionate GT40 guy.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 11:23am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

he's a passionate GT40 guy.

You bet! You take an already great base motor, then add the most dependable EFI system on the water, paint it all jet black and you've got a mill that means BUSINESS.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 1:27am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

fredo, you are WRONG, people skills, Chris is a little shy in that department. Boat knowledge and the components that all fit together to form that money pit where we chunk our change , this is home turf......
Every newbie that comes here gets the same treatment,being that you own brand X boat does not help your case with him at all.
I have said it before and it is worth repeating, he is the guy that will call you out and give you a good CUSSING,and show up at you doorstep Saturday AM and help you rebuild your motor.......
No praise just facts.........Boat dr

I haven't posted on this site in quite a while and wasn't sure if I would again.....but this time I couldn't resist. Doc I have the utmost respect for you as you seem to be a true professional. I'd surely like to meet you some day and shake your hand. That goes for many others on this site as well. But I'd like to come to the defense of those boating in other than CC boats (myself included) just because of this: You guys who are CC owners should be thankful that there are ones like us buying so called "brand-X" boats and here's why. It keeps other boat builders it business. And that creates competition. That keeps prices in check and well as quality and that is the American way!

Brian
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 2:33am
Thanks for the approval, of late here on this site I have been told just the opposite.So as not to offend you or others I need to share my slight Knowledge of these boats and motors and keep my opinion to myself.
I too will extend my hand to welcome your friendship, after all it is about the boats and the memories we make. Not the brand but the nut behind the wheel.......Gods Peace Brian
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 5:30am
Originally posted by nuttyskier2002 nuttyskier2002 wrote:

I haven't posted on this site in quite a while and wasn't sure if I would again

?!!? Brian, you would be sorely missed! Besides, there's a piece of you in the pumpkin and I thought you'd want to stick around to see if I really did put the intake on bacerds.

And the operative part of this phrase...'brand X boat'... is boat!
1988 BFN-sold

nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 2:27pm
Greg, I've been keeping up with your threads (just not posting) and I must say your motor looks very impressive. I couldn't offer any advice about your punkin patch though because I've never restored a fiberglass boat. So I just sat back and watched. The only restore I've done was my old '59 Chriscraft. You've got lots of good help on this site as you already know. Almost everyone here has good advice to offer and is willing to do so. I do appreciate the props and will stay with you guys for as long as this site keeps going. I'm starting to feel the love again!
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 4:43pm
Thanks Brian...and I don't think the love ever left; maybe just a group of guys who haven't gotten their overdue exhaust fix?!!? LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic