NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Show me your garage

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 12>
Author
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 8:35pm
Since your GC has the connections, get him to slip in a home addition permit while he is there!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2010 at 9:51pm
Craig,
The one important thing I forgot that the county does want is their permit fee!! What did you end up doing about the W beam for lifting?

Ernest,
I wish he could slip it in for the house but the permit is only good for 2 years. I don't know if I'll be ready by then but I do need to address it soon. The county will be adopting a not to exceed 30% permeable rule in about 2 years. Not knowing if they will consider my gravel drive and septic field non permeable or not, I may be over the limit.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 2:35am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The contract was let out Sunday. This step number one was yesterday!!

And, the contrator does have the correct set of prints!!!

FINALLY a picture. We better be seeing some more. By "correct" plans you do mean the ones with all the cool stuff quinner added for you..right?

john

BTW: Very nice to talk to ya a couple nights ago.
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 2:49am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

The contract was let out Sunday. This step number one was yesterday!!

And, the contrator does have the correct set of prints!!!

FINALLY a picture. We better be seeing some more. By "correct" plans you do mean the ones with all the cool stuff quinner added for you..right?

john

BTW: Very nice to talk to ya a couple nights ago.

Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Pete, your Garage is going to be Wicked Cool!!

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 2:52am
Now THATS what I'm talking about!!!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 5:40pm
Pete,

I'm going to go with a W1426 eventually. I say that because while I would prefer to put it in right away, for obvious reasons, the budget is who I answer to. I have thought long and hard about getting it placed in there after the garage is built and I'm pretty confident it can happen.

You're lucky on the permit process. I'm going to have $500 wrapped up in fees before I even move any dirt! The permit fee itself ($50 + 0.05/sq.ft.), plus my permit requires a certified site plan by a surveyor ($300), and a health department inspection to make sure that I'm not building over my septic system ($50). All of this so they can make sure and increase my property taxes...
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2010 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Pete,

I prefer to put it in right away, for obvious reasons, long and hard get it placed in there pretty confident.

I'm going to wrap it up, a health inspection to make sure that I'm not in septic.
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2010 at 5:56pm
Nothing gets by Hollywood. LOL.

Waldo
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 8:57pm
With construction projects there always seems to be problems especially when you're not around to keep a eye on things. I got a phone call from my neighbor up there today (a Milwaukee resident). He wasn't too happy to say the least. Over Christmas I had cleared the project with him regarding the concrete pour 5' from his property line. The contractor had informed me that the concrete trucks shoots would be able to reach that wall leaving only about 10' in the middle. This 10' they would haul in with the Bobcat bucket. Well that's not what happened. They drove the concrete truck out onto my neighbors yard. Not only did they do that but they drove the trucks up his driveway and then out onto his yard!! I'll know more when I get up there Thursday but evidently there are some rather deep ruts plus possible damage to a French drain for the neighbors garage floor drains.

At least the footings and foundation walls are poured!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 11:16am
Well, I am glad to hear we aren't the only ones with crazy concrete truck drivers! I was pouring some footers and had it all planned out where to enter and exit. Even flagged the route. Not only did they destroy my yard, crack the driveway, but took off up the driveway with the chute open and concrete spilling out! To top if off, I called the company and his first comment was "We are only repsonsible for damage up to the time we leave the main road." Well, after a couple of more phone calls, they were at the house pressure washing the driveway, and filling in the ruts. I think they do it on purpose!

I think a case of beer for the neighbor may be in order.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 11:30am
Dang... I would imagine he's PO'd. Hopefully it's not going to cost you lots of $$$ to rectify the situation.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 12:09pm
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Concrete truck drivers don't like to turn that wheel very much that's for sure.

I'm sending my plumber in to check my neigbors drain with a camera.

I did find out some more - it all starting with the excavator piling dirt where he shouldn't have. Then, the concrete trucks couldn't back up on two sides of the pour. Funny no one thought of it untill they were there with the concrete!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 8:58pm
Well, the neighbors French drain was undamaged and the "ruts" turned out to be depressions about 1" deep 10" long and only on one area. He's calmed down and I'm relieved!!

Ready for the plumber rough in and some CMU's (concrete block) 1 or 2 courses depending on the grade.

It's good I got the garden hose out and did some HD soaking. For some reason the contractors up there think all you need to do is run the dozer around and then the plate compactor and it will take care of 40" of sand!!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 9:29pm
didn't take you for the jet ski type..
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 2:43am
jet ski for pulling the tube?

must hurt having the Atom outside.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 9:13am
Chris,
You nailed it - I am not the PWC type! That's my wife's. She bought it with her money used but I get to take care of the damn thing. Guess it's not too bad considering my wife it letting me build the shop. Working blind in a hole to fix anything isn't fun!! Considering the low lake levels, it may be getting more use this year.

At least the ignition problems went away since I switched to the NGK Iridium plugs. The thing must have a weak ignition system and frequent plug changes were needed. As a example it would not start on fogged regular plugs

John,
As soon as I get some power to the tube inflator, I'll be ready.

The Atom came home with me. I had just pulled it out of the vinyl "instant garage" to make room for Steve's cabinets. They may show up before the shop is enclosed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 11:46am
I have a PWC similar to yours. My Mom bought it for my Dad, and I get to store and maintain it. His is a Yamaha, and it needs plugs about every year. I cant tell what type yours is, but "mine" is a four stroke and has a dry sump, and oil sometimes gets up into the air cleaner box and fouls up the air cleaner and probably the plugs. Once I cleaned it out, it ran like new again.

Garage is looking good!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 1:09pm
I don't see a floor drain for that concrete floor, makes it nice to wash stuff on those rainy days with nothing else to do but whatch it rain.

Nice piece of lake property love the trees and over look, sorry to hear no tubing though due to water levels, that will piss you off. I did drive a Rinker for you this week-end Tubing. The things I do for my friends. I wasn't sure if I was going to get back though, Rob who owns it doesn't stay up on maintenance and the Gimble bearing sounds like a bunch of gravel rolling around in the outdrive.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 1:14pm
Chris,
Not sure about up there, but around here floor drains are getting to be a PITA.... Enviromental issues with gas/oil potential going into it.   

AND , YES ... it is a great property...Pam and I were fortunate enough to be able to visit them one afternoon last summer.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 1:28pm
Chris,
The no floor drain is intentional. It's a shop and not a wash bay for boats. The floor is spec'd at "as dead level as possible" without of course going the the extent of lazer guided screeding. You want a level floor when doing any frame work on hulls. It just makes it easier and you don't need to run around leveling the basic frame/hull. Besides, just as Steve mentioned, it's not cool with the EPA or on your septic system!!

The house next door (with the concrete truck issue!) has French drains that were done in the late 60's when the house was built. They freeze up every winter - no bacteria to keep them warm like in a septic system. FWIW, up there you never have your septic pumped in the fall - not enough time for the little guys to recoup and start building up heat. The systems freeze up!!!!
The plumber is roughing in the bathroom today so the final grading can be done after the CMU work. Slab next week.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I don't see a floor drain for that concrete floor

Typically in a garage a triple basin is required between the drain(s) and the sewer/septic to seperate grease/oil. Bottom line is you can have drain(s) it's just a bit more expense then a drain and some PVC.

Pete,

That's exciting, looking forward to seeing more progress pictures along the way.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 6:14pm
doh is me, I forgot that is the new Fabrication area for woodies or is that Rinker repair

Makes sence the reasoning but You always could have it diamond ground to level it out too.

Looking good just stay on top of that contractor and keep him on a short lese no need to PO the neighbors again. So rest of the foundation this week and on to framing after that. End of July completion date?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2010 at 2:50pm
I don't have any shop pictures that would really show any progress. The new septic and field is in and connected up to the house. The plumber will now finish off the shop rough in, move on to the in floor hydronic and then the floor gets poured. Maybe this coming week?

I received all the fittings and ductwork for the dust collection system. I figured it would be a good idea to lay them out on the floor just to double check I have all the sizes and quantities before I get up there and find a error. There's no running to the hardware or home center for spiral ducting or fittings like lateral T's on a taper!! I ended up with a extra 5" 45 degree elbow, missed 5" couplings but got the 7",6" and 4" couplings. They can be cut out of the spiral duct but I'll just order some to lessen my work up there.

Fittings less spiral duct:

Way back I had mentioned that the plan was to have all my equipment in the center of the shop on mobile bases. Other equipment that can't be put on a mobile base (like a floor mounted drill press) will be along the wall. This gives me the flexibility to gain room by moving equipment off to the side when not in use. The problem came up with what to do with the dust collector drops from the attic down into the shop. I wanted to be able to disconnect the duct drop at the ceiling and move it off to the side along with the equipment. Quick disconnects are available but they are ether cheap plastic or snap latching requiring you to get up on a ladder.

Here's my version of the drop duct with handles mounted at the bottom. Flex will run from it to each piece of equipment (quick connect on top is out of view):

Here's what I came up with for the quick connect mounted directly on the blast gate at the ceiling:

The seal is the rubber bulbous seal version of the snap on "edge guard". (McMaster!!) The blast gate will be opened/closed with a slotted end broom stick. Then locked in place with the same broom stick with the thumb screw.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2010 at 9:30pm
Nice lot of ducting there Pete,we have put a few extra points in where you can connect a standard vacuum hose on, which is handy for hand tools like router or a sander just use a tapered wood plug when your not using them.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2010 at 9:56pm
Roger,
It's covered! Besides the quick connects on the ceiling, I'll have 3 drops out of the attic on 3 of the walls. 2 go to floor sweeps and branch laterals reduced to 3" with 3" blast gates. They are the vacuum hose/accessory ports. You can't get it all with the direct connect! I'd have to say the worst is the lathe! The other wall drop is a 4 and a 3 serving a chop saw and a sander. I feel the nice thing about these quick disconnects is going to be you can plug pretty much anything in. (within size limitations) I have one port overhead near the boat bay for vacuuming out the hull/frame I happen to be working on at the time.

BTW, I test fit some of the fittings. Not too bad so far. Tight yes but I found a small strip of metal shim stock placed inside the female end will guide the male end even if there's a slight out of round.

The boat restoration may have to wait for awhile. The first project planned will be all the millwork, staircases, balusters, railings and maybe even the flooring for the house. I have a source for local Red Pine. He'd cut it, resaw and air dry it for me. I've got to get going on it putting together a material list so I'll get enough air drying time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2010 at 10:18pm
Pete,Thought you have it all sorted out,and lots of home grown wood too you have it made, beats the tones of mdf I have to use,wood turning as well hope the balusters will be barley twist
Off to bed now as its past midnight here in Paris (working here)
See you soon at GL
Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2010 at 8:09pm
Pete, I thought that was a tower at first! You scared me!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 3:27pm
Tower?    I was thinking maybe a new VESIcare commercial.

AT
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 3:21pm

Here's what I came up with for the quick connect mounted directly on the blast gate at the ceiling:

The seal is the rubber bulbous seal version of the snap on "edge guard". (McMaster!!) The blast gate will be opened/closed with a slotted end broom stick. Then locked in place with the same broom stick with the thumb screw.

Sorry Pete I didn't fully take in what you have made ( small bit of GL drinking training ) nice work on twist lock,I have to own up to flexi hose drops with thin ply covers when not used which lift them out the way, but do have the odd bayonet fitting too.
Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 9:21am
There always seems to be a problem on a construction project!! I got a call from my daughter the other day who's up there for the summer. She told me the lights were dim/flickering, the frig was making a odd noise and no water. She thought the plumber had done something the day before when installing the new field/septic and pulling the old system. I told her that the plumber had nothing to do with the wiring/power and that something had to be going on with the power utility due to the high winds/storms that had just been through the area. I called Wisconsin Public Service and they had a line crew there within about 15 minutes! Well, it was my plumber!! The WPS crew found a open neutral at the pole on my overhead drop to the house. He had hooked the overhead with the excavator when he was removing the old septic tank ripping the neutral open!! The WPS crew did check the weather head/mast on the house as well and evidently it is leaning but ok for now. My electrician will check it out if I don't get to it first this coming weekend!

In a small community everyone seems to know what's going on and knows pretty much everyone else. One of the WPS linemen spotted my plumbers truck at my neighbors. He had figured out what caused the problem and proceeded to have a few words with my plumber!!! WPS would have come in for free and dropped the overhead drop to the house during the work but now, the repair is a charge - to my plumber!!!

BTW, a open neutral means all your 120 volt needs to go through your ground rod at the house. Due to it's resistence to the ground, you get a low voltage "brown out". So far everthing in the house seems ok even though my daughter did tell me the frig was smoking!!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 12>
  Share Topic