NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dist/carb tuning question

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 12:28pm
Would have to check my old Holley book on carby sizing and V/E. Most stock engines only run about 85% VE. But considering a 351 cu in motor handles a 600cfm carby you would think that a 454 cu in which is approx a 30% increase in volume would require a 30% larger carby i.e. 780cfm carby.

I forgot it is GM so obviously wouldn't be as efficient as the blue oval hardware.

What model was your 750 Holley. Was it a square bore or did it have extremely large primaries like q-jet.

I think you should have been able to dial it in OK may have required some changing of jets & PV's. I think at one stage you said the vac secs were opening early. This may have been your problem. Possibly a stronger spring may have solved problem.

Maybe to late now if you have ordered a 650cfm anyway. The smaller carb should give better economy anyway.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 12:45pm
I cancelled the order...Chris was right! I called back and got a different tech and pushed him a little for the details.

I'll get a handle on it somehow...in the meantime I'll keep you guys entertained by chasing my tail?!!?   LOL

Thanks again Chris!!!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Would have to check my old Holley book on carby sizing and V/E. Most stock engines only run about 85% VE. But considering a 351 cu in motor handles a 600cfm carby you would think that a 454 cu in which is approx a 30% increase in volume would require a 30% larger carby i.e. 780cfm carby.

I forgot it is GM so obviously wouldn't be as efficient as the blue oval hardware.

What model was your 750 Holley. Was it a square bore or did it have extremely large primaries like q-jet.

I think you should have been able to dial it in OK may have required some changing of jets & PV's. I think at one stage you said the vac secs were opening early. This may have been your problem. Possibly a stronger spring may have solved problem.

Maybe to late now if you have ordered a 650cfm anyway. The smaller carb should give better economy anyway.

I agree the 750 is more appropiate

but I dissagree regarding VE, the VE on the BBC will be vastly better than the SB ford.
The BBC has canted valves and the valves and ports are more smartly formed and sized for top end.

secondly, to send the " sh|tcan the small carb" idea home...

An undesized carb will not automatically give better economy, he will be into the secondaries sooner in the throttle. this also gives less precise throttle control due to the vacuum actuation.

thridly, the undersize carb can be harmful for the engine. say if the engine were to produce 2.5" of vacuum at WOT, this could shut off the PV and make it run 25% lean at max rpm and load, this could frag a piston.

like has been suggested, one can't fine tune a carb till the timing is better addressed, and that would be difficult to do properly and safely with an undesized carb.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 1:19pm
But they curved it specificly for the cam profile so that it would have 24 degress at 3000 rpm and mine runs great,... oh sorry thought I heard Timmy crying sorry about that.

So maybe Tim can help you catch your tail since he talked you into the quality POS distributor you bought.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 2:23pm
Thanks all for the input. I probably don't word things as well as can be, but I think it's 24 degrees of advance at 3000...so at 14 initial I have 38 total at 3000?

Tom, thanks for helping to look after me; I read what you have to say closely! You and Lewy make me think I have the right carb.

Symptoms as follows...
The 750 had the motor starting immediately where the 600 wants it to turn a few times before it hits. The 750 ran rich(sooty plugs) and stumbled at 36-3700 rpm's with a 7.5 PV and stumbled at 38-3900 with a 4.5 PV.

The 600 runs up to 4100 but it feels like there should be more. It also stumbled out of the hole with 6 people on board, but behaves with 2 on board. I'm not the pro like yall, but my gut feeling there was that it was thirsty so we parked it after 1 run. The gas mileage has gone down drastically like Tom said. I haven't been running it much since the 600 has been on it...not much at all really due to break in concerns and what I've read here about running lean.

All that said, I put the black(strongest) spring in the vacuum pot and put in a 2.5 PV. From here I'll do 1 thing at a time and see what happens.

It may be a while before I report back(busy,busy), but thanks again for all the help!!!

1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 2:25pm
Carbing is an art, I put 2 edelbrock 750 cfm and they dumped fuel down that thing, 383 cubes and the charts said no problem, i tried everything, i didnt want to go down to a 650 or 600 cause i felt it wouldnt supply the air i needed. for ***************s and giggles i purchased a Holley 780 and slapped her on, no jet changes just bolted it up, the engine came to life, i wouldve never thought it because i kept thinking the carb was to big...maybe it was i dont know....was it cubes or was it air flow?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 2:37pm
I would but the 750 back on get a real timing light and found out exactly what the timing is at idle, 1000 rpm, 2000 rpm and 3000 rpm and quit guessing what it is or what it is supose to be know exactly what it is by verify it,, engine tuning 101 kids that chase tails.

the stumble at higher rmp is because of the carb and it's settings/jetting/metering of the fuel/adjustments use smaller primary jets and the 2.5 PV in it so the secondaries don't kick in and flood it out or riching it up to early. To bad your not closer to Indy I'd have you dial in an a hour or two depend if you had the right jets or had to go get them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 7:42pm
Chris, I'll get a timing strip tomorrow. I have measured off of TDC with the tab as a reference and have some good #'s. I'll get the details for you.

Put the 750 back on and it starts right up...no laboring like the 600. It has 71 jets and the 2.5 PV in it and still stumbles at 3800. It did run up to 4000 the first time, but not again. It's also drinking fuel again...gotta be too big or messed up to begin with.

Is the difference between the 650's on summit and jegs and what I need the reason SECC charges so much for the replacement 650?

I'm just about over this after so many changes to the carb with very little change...time to put the 600 back on it and stay out of the top end.   

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2008 at 10:13am
you still need a miniumum of 18 inches of vacuum at idle, did you compare between the 750 and 600?
your playing the carb game, there is no way you can dial an engine in with 13 to 14 inches of vacuum, you need to get the engine to 18 and no less, whether you have a severe vacuum leak or carb size.
its the same as you trying to dial in an engine with 50 lbs of compression, vacuum also pulls fuel into the 2 front cylinders and i would guess those 2 fronts are running a little lean or not as rich
remember......what controls secondaries on your boat a a a compression? cable? solenoid? your wife sits by the carb and you tell her to open them up?
first things first my friend
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2008 at 10:25am
timing will not effect vacuum, unless you are a tooth off or your chain is stretched, restrictions create vacuum.
something as simple as a PCV valve will f-ck with vacuum, a good example was yesterday on a 5.7, the pcv sounded like a buzzard and the engine was shaking and the AC vents on the truck would not switch because they are controlled by vacuum, the computor sensed this. new PCV valve and cured the problem.

once you plug a vacuum guage in and get the readings your getting you should of stopped right there to figure out why, get that cured and go on to the next step
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2008 at 11:39am
Im hammering you, lol
what is the first thing the doctor does when you go there? and what are his 2 most important tools? a stethascope and a blood pressure guage.   

when he checks your blood pressure and its off the charts does he go on to the next step....no, if your heart is beating at 200 beats a minute, to the next step? no

a compression guage and vacuum guage are nearly equal to these tools the doctor uses

if your compression is bad are plugs going to cure the problem? no

if your vacuum is low are plugs going to cure the problem? no

Vacuum is as important as compression, with out either one the engine WILL WILL not run as it should, so take care of first things first
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2008 at 11:58am
Greg dont give in so easily and opt for the smaller carby.

I think the 600cfm carby is just masking your timing curve problems better than the larger carby. In saying that it starts much easier on the larger carby suggests that the main jets may be a little large.

79 has hit it on the head until you know what advance you really have at 2k,3k & 4K you are only going on what the spec sheet says. It may be way outside of the claimed advance. Verify that the advance curve is good then fine tune carby to suit.

Think of the positive side when you finally sort this out you will get even more enjoyment. Taking the easy (more expensive also) route of the smaller carb may also leave a lot of potential performance left behind.

I find problem solving very satisfying almost fulfilling. It may explain why I work in IT there are always plenty of problems to solve.

Often it isn't the knowledge or know how that fixes the problem but the logical step by step troubleshooting that finds the solution.

That's my pep talk for the day. Now get on with it. Lets us know what you find

89 Ski

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2008 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

In saying that it starts much easier on the larger carby suggests that the main jets may be a little large.

FAIL. If he's starting the boat on the mains, he's got bigger problems. Thats just not happening.

Other than that your advise is spot-on
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2008 at 3:19pm
I now have the PCM replacement 650 and ran it with the DUI...same results but with much cleaner plugs. So I switched out the DUI for the mallory that was in it before...same results. I do need to adjust the floats in the 650 as I saw 1 primary dripping after shut off...maybe the secondary float is too low, but I've been through that with the other carb.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2008 at 7:56pm
OK then, it's all lack of vacuum. Good call Eric. I sat in the back and opened the secondaries manually at WOT, and it ran as it should.

Where oh where did my vacuum go?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2008 at 10:02pm
Cam timing has every thing to do with vacuum.When and where the valves open and close will have a large part in how much vacuum a motor produces.........Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2008 at 12:32pm
exactly as Doc is saying, the intake stroke creates vacuum, the compression strokes creates....guess what? compression.
look at it this way, if you were a tooth off which i doubt you are, the piston will come down and start its journey up, if the valve is still open she will fall flat. also if you took your shop vac and put your hand over the end and completely closed it off the vaccuum increases, as you open your fingers the vacuum will decrease.....its the restriction that creates vacuum,
there is nothing you can do electronically or fuel wise to create vacuum, basically it is controlled mechanically. as earlier stated i wouldnt try anything until that guage reads 18 to 20 inches of vacuum at idle whether it be cam timing, rings, carb or so on
an engine will miss all day long with the kind of vacuum your seeing and thats why i said to you earlier, what controls secondaries......vacuum, low vacuum early open
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2008 at 12:49pm
I'm not sure what I think I saw when I said the secondaries were opening early on the 750. I was by myself and trying to drive, so who knows.

It is a low vacuum prob for sure. When I opened the secondaries by hand with someone else driving, it ran on up strong and sounded good. There just isn't enough to pull to open them at all the way it is now.

I got a new pcv valve and will check a few simple things. If I don't find anything, I suppose I'll have to start taking it apart again.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2008 at 1:28pm
pop that 600 back on and check the vacuum, easiest things first, im not saying that is the problem but.....if you dont try it you will never know.
I go through this stuff everyday, I have a guy who comes around my shop all the time and he costs me nothing but money, he insisted the other day that a fuel pump was bad on a truck because he said the same thing happened to him, so i told him if i drop the tank removing all 30 gallons of gas, swap out the assembly and it doesnt work will you pay for the 400 dollar assembly?
I logically troubleshot the thing and couldnt pick anything up on my scanner, the fuel psi guage was doing funny things, it took me 4 hours to figure out it was the psi regulator under the plenum
point being, anybody can swap parts and eventually you will hit the nail on the head but in the meantime if i would of put a fuel pump in this thing i wouldve had to pay for it and the labor
approach it like a see-saw, if that side goes down what will the other side do?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2008 at 1:43pm
Maybe I'll tie a string to the secondaries and hold it over my shoulder for when I need WOT?!!?   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2008 at 10:18pm
Not much else to check...guess it'll go in the garage soon while I can still get it out...
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 11:18am
So, the sun came up on a new day, the boat is in the driveway, and the pumpkin is about to get picked again.

I pulled it this morning and had to drive a fair distance to a functional ramp. With the quiet of dawn and w/o all the racket of a day on the lake, AND with my wishful thinking kicked to the curb; I can only say that it doesn't sound right. I pulled the plug wires this morning 1 at a time, and I think it's only hitting on 5 cylinders.

Is it possible for it to run at all with the wrong cam? I talked with my machinist quite a bit about the cam going in it, but I think he sold me the wrong one. I can't think of anything else that it could be...I think I've eliminated everything else.

The other thing I thought about on my morning drive was that of all the little things that could have gone wrong or been done wrong....?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 11:48am
Whoa where the heck have I been, I figured you were off living the Nautique life whilst I had been on shore, sorry to hear thats not the case. Before you get absolutely crazy are you 100% sure your plug wiring is correct.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 12:02pm
Howdy Joe...yea, I'm busy earning my 'fins'?!!? <---Like earning your wings in aviation.

The wires are as stated on the engine tag. I've had the DUI and now the original mallory in it. I've also been through 3 carbs, but the root problem is low vacuum. It doesn't change with any of the above variables.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 12:14pm
if you think its cammed wrong you'll be able to pick that up on a compression test, the low vacuum is a sure sign that something is not quite right.
Why do you think you may have the wrong cam
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 1:14pm

Make sure you have the cylinders numbered right and know which direction the rotor is turning and then it should be..
1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8 Stranger things have happened than for two wires to be switched.

There are people running around with lower vacumn that what you have. It sounds like earlier you were putting heavier secondary springs in that carb, did you reverse that process and try it with a lighter spring?

There are always mechanical secondary carbs as a last resort.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 1:17pm
If it was only running on 5 cylinders you would have very rough idle & you would not be getting anywhere near the 4000rpm you are getting at WOT.

You have verified the timing curve manually with timing light? I assume so but have not seen you confirm that in the post.

You mentioned earlier that the secs were opening too early now it seems you are saying they are not opening at all on just vacuum.

Have you verified it is low vacuum with a gauge?

One possibility is that your rings may not have bedded in correctly yet so compression & vacuum are both low.

If so have you tried lighter springs in vac secs?

An old trick that I have seen done that may help you troubleshoot this problem. Is a small nut & bolt in the slotted cam on the secondaries butterfly shaft so that at large throttle percentage it manually helps the sec's open. The primary shaft has a linkage that connects to the secondary shaft with the slotted cam. The small nut & bolt uses this linkage as a form of mechanical secondaries. Similar to your string over the shoulder idea.

Hope this is of some help I have the feeling you are becoming frustrated. Maybe 79 will pay a surprise visit and sort it all out.

Wish I was closer so I could lend you a hand often two heads working together helps.

Bit like a dual core processor.

89 Ski

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 5:24pm
Here are my compression #'s

1. 119
2. 118
3. 119
4. 112
5. 119
6. 118
7. 119
8. 112
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 9:15pm
I re-verified dist rotation and firing order. The compression #'s mean the cam is right?

I did go down to the next to lightest spring in the vacuum pot the other day. I have the lightest yet to try, but I wish I understood the vacuum loss.

87(Jim right?) does your set up have a wedge plate with the pcv plumbed off of it? I think I'll take mine off a check the #'s...I'm sure it'll cause float probs, but that's par for this course.

That leaves the intake gaskets and rings that may not be seated...right?
1988 BFN-sold

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 9:51pm
I see two problems that do not add up with a new motor.....
#1 low vacuum 13/15 in. is too low
#2 low compression 120lbs. is too low

Common to these two is the CAMSHAFT.
I may be speaking out of turn here but.
One other possibility is the offset on the piston pin/ wrist pin. But surely those were installed "bakards", which is normal for a reverse rotation motor.
The PCM cam # RA 050015, and was told that this is a PCM special grind...Boat dr
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic