NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A buffalo’s first bowtie

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1718192021 22>
Author
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 5:01pm
Buffalo,

Mine is an 86 & it is just down the road from you on Holiday Rd. Let me know if you need to see anything. I doubt there is much different as far as that kind of stuff is concerned.
Greg

86 BFN
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 5:06pm
Sorry buffalo but if I remember right, that is how mine is routed as well.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 5:07pm
Thats actually a pretty typical late model inboard arrangement, transmission up and over the motor, throttle under and around from the back.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Thats actually a pretty typical late model inboard arrangement, transmission up and over the motor, throttle under and around from the back.

Agreed.

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 5:23pm
But Tim that little thing doesn't count. Greg is talking about a motor for the Big Boys Club
Greg

86 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

But Tim that little thing doesn't count. Greg is talking about a motor for the Big Boys Club

Is that why you had to go buy that BFN? Because of that itsy-bitsy 273 in your Skier?

My 351w may be a small block, but it puts out big block power!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 5:39pm
Tim, I hope that's not the same line you use to pick up women!
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 1:41am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Is that why you had to go buy that BFN? Because of that itsy-bitsy 273 in your Skier?

My 351w may be a small block, but it puts out big block power!

No, actually I bought the skier so there would be at least one you could run with!
Greg

86 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 2:25am

No, actually I bought the skier so there would be at least one you could run with!

You mean that thing floats and runs? I thought it was still in pieces!

You really think the BFN will be faster than the Skier? I like my chances against the BFN better!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 9:43pm
You guys crack me up...Tim, I think you got the short end of that stick?!!? The cable will stay over the top!

Here's a couple of pics of my wiring harness. The directions on my fancy new distributer say I need to run a 12 gauge wire to the ignition. This would be to the (ign) post? Also, I had a (+) and (-) going to my coil and a resistor that needs to be removed per instructions. The resistor is the ceramic piece with the purple wires attached?

Where does my tach feed come from on the factory set up? The other post on my dist. is for a tach or diagnostic hook up.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 10:12pm
Greg, assuming PCM wired the BBC the same as the SBC, the tach feed came from the (-) side of the coil. You will need to connect that wire to the DUI. Yes, the 12V ignition wire (purple) goes to the other terminal on the DUI.

Here are some comparison pics with and without the DUI, and how to bypass the resistor. You can completely remove it if you want.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2008 at 9:12am
Thanks Tim, those will help a lot! You're 'johnny on the spot' with those diagrams, and it looks to be the same SBC>BBC.

Anyone just happen to have a new BBC wiring harness? I have a new harness for the 351 that I've had for a while that I would trade. Otherwise, I may use it for parts to make a new one. Does wiring wear out...assuming it's not broken and still has a weather seal? Does anyone know where to find the small composite washers that the boots fit to?

Of course, my choke migrated to the other side. LOL
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2008 at 11:10am
Greg, As far as wire wearing out, you know it doesn't but corrosion is a issue. Just like the cheap turf type carpet CC used, they used the bottom line cheap wiring and still do. Non tinned non marine grade wire. Non plated "Sta-kons" and cheap harness connectors. When I got my Tique, I had gauge (voltage drop) issues. I went after the wiring, cleaned/dielectric greased, changed out the non plated .250 quick disconnect Sta-kons and picked up something like 1.2 volts at the dash!

What boots are you talking about?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2008 at 11:32am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

What boots are you talking about?

The ones that go over the connection at the oil pres sender, water temp sender, and alternator, etc. What's a sta-con? Is that the male and female wire end connectors(tabs)? I need plated ends and marine wire?!!? I'm hearing cash registers in my dreams now!     LOL

1988 BFN-sold

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2008 at 11:45am
Buffalo,

Theres FAST
Theres SLOW
and you can always do the job HALF/FAST.......
No one said this hobby/addiction was cheap,suck it up and do her right. In the end you make the CORRECT choice .
Pete is our electrical " know all" and this is not a place to go cheap...my .02 Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2008 at 12:01pm
Your .02 is well taken. I don't mean to cheap out...I just don't know so much about wiring. My plan is to remake this harness with soldered connections and shrink boots, but I'll do some reading first. The plug from the 351 harness is the same as my old dirty one. I was thinking of starting there unless a better plug is out there somewhere.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2008 at 2:17pm
Greg, The boots: Ok, now I know what you are referring to. If you can salvage the old ones, then I would. If not, a little dielectric grease at the connection will go a long way. In fact, I have seen lots of green (copper corrosion) under rubber boots and feel that sometimes you are better of leaving them off. Won't trap any water condensation!

If you do end up making your own harness, I would use tinned marine grade wire.

Sta-kon is a trade name for a solderless terminal that stuck as slang or a general term for any solderless terminal. Like Kleenex is to tissue! There are solderless terminals out there that have adhesive lined heat shrink boots already on them. I do know Mcmaster, some auto parts and some marine supplies carry them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2008 at 2:40pm
Thanks Pete, spot on as always. I did a little digging and reading and have more to do. I see the diff in the coated marine wire and thanks for setting me straight. I probably should have known there would be a difference but was clueless. I wonder how many boats don't go together with the collection of knowlege from you and others on this site?!!? I expect to be riding high on the water with a great reduction in the weekend headache catagory!   
1988 BFN-sold

Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2008 at 11:39pm
I purchased marine wire/connectors from both Genuinedealz.com and Skycraft Surplus last year. Wire, terminals, etc get expensive fast (especially with large gauge) and these places were about as cheap as I could find.

Tim, you gotta do something about that alt bracket. Such an eyesore on an otherwise beautiful mill you got there. Maybe something like this?....
Pics, Part Numbers
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2008 at 2:21am
Buffalo, you guys make it thru the storms ok?
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2008 at 10:17am

Buffalo, you guys make it thru the storms ok?

We're fine...how about you? From what I heard on the radio, it was pretty close to you and the big marinas.

It's not everyday that the guy on the radio stops in mid sentence and says " OOOO, this is bad"...and with clear emotion in his voice. Next we hear "tornado on the ground" and they started tracking its path.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 11:35pm
This one speaks for itself...

Taylor cable...thanks Tim!

That ID tag is begging to show through?!!?

1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 3:11am
Man that looks sweet Greg...what a job!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 9:21am
Thanks John! You and I may be the only 2 not bored with it?!!? LOL
1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 12:48pm
i got flashburns when i scrolled your pictures, i told you your tag was ugly, thats the first thing i noticed after my eyes dialated,
once again Greg, nice work
sometimes i may come across as hard to get a compliment, its constructive crticism, it does motivate and makes you want to get that 1 mph faster

so far its been an all show and no go show lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

i told you your tag was ugly, thats the first thing i noticed after my eyes dialated

LMAO!

If you mean the funny spot in the last pic, I think that's the laser/infrared? sight on the camera. I didn't try to get the paint off of the tag. As you've mentioned before, I can read the label through the paint and I do think it would look bad if you hadn't painted it. You know I've just been giving you a ration about that, right?

And not to worry about the show...the lake is filling back up about as fast as I'm finishing the hull. I think I'm almost to the downhill side of it as well!
1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 1:17pm
i heard your city was growing by leaps and bounds and finally figured out what that meant.

flashburns are from staring at bright objects, not cameras
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 5:22pm
Greg, It sure is looking good! When is the big day to see what happens when you turn it over? I certainly wouldn't wait until the boat is finished. What's left to be done?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 5:57pm
Never get bored watching craftsmanship like that Greg. Neith is anyone else...you got almost 20 pages here...gotta be a record!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg, It sure is looking good! When is the big day to see what happens when you turn it over? I certainly wouldn't wait until the boat is finished. What's left to be done?

All that's left is the wiring harness and a few hoses. The exh mani's are only on with 2 bolts to fit the plug wires.

I really haven't thought about it because I was going to wait until the boat is done. It may be another month or so, but I have most of the deconstruction done and feel like I'm almost to the downhill side. I guess I could get a fuel and water source and run the exhaust hose out the back of the shop. Seems like a good bit of extra work...   I do know that the carb, dist., and at least 1 exhaust mani will have to come off when I put it back in the boat.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1718192021 22>
  Share Topic