NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foam removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foam removal
    Posted: January-31-2007 at 7:45am

This tool saves hours, it buzzes trough the foam and the you shop vac the mess
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 9:55am
I dont care what anybody says, foam is a catalyst for rot, yeah sure the foam is dry but the first half inch between the hull and foam is soaked, it always is. Im in a bad mood cause that tool bit my hand, my pants are soaked, my knees hurt im covered in foam want to hear more   ERIC
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 10:31am
I want to hear more.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 10:43am
Me too
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 10:50am
I want to SEE
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 11:45am
Man that thing looks like it will tear your hand off, let alone bite !!! Hope you're OK Eric and can continue on with this project...

Want to do mine next???

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 12:57pm
Eric quit your bitch'n nothing's easy if you want it to be right.

I'm with you on the foam, I guess if I was going to use it (foam) I would use channels under it, say a inch gap or so between the hull and foam so that the water has a place to get back in to the bilge or dry out without soaking into the foam. Simmular to what they do to vent roofs when spraying insulation between the rafters.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 1:09pm
I limit this sh*t to once a year and the problem is I forget how much I hate doing it, there definitly needs to be some type of air barrier in there for the water
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 1:25pm
why couldn't you take a spade or shovel and take it out in big chunks, maybe use a saw blade and run around the edges first to loosen it first?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 4:43pm
the tight corners that tool works great, well I found where correct craft puts thier scraps of wood. I also use a 15 sawz-all blade on the saw and buzz through it,
the stink got so bad I had to crack one and call it a day
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 5:06pm
Eric,

by the look of that wire wheel ,you should look like a porcupine! Gotta be a messy job.....Enjoy your "cool one"..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 8:08pm
hard parts done, it kicked my a$$ though, thats a smell that you dont forget, 62 that porcupine got my thumb real good, it rips flesh like it rips the foam. I ended up taking 9 trash cans to the dumpster.
man im down to bare metal, and its time to let it dry for a week or so
Mojo NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ask me next january   lol eric
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 9:26pm
sounds like I got it in just in time ah Eric. Sorry the tool bit you, because I know it's my boat that made it bite you.

Eric how far up were the stringers rotted? Just wondering as we were both guessing how far the rot actually went.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 10:38pm
Lets See: 87BFN this year, Mojo in January '08, can I get in line for January of '09?

Unless I can get Scott to do it earlier.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 7:27am

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 7:28am
BFN... definitely in the 90 percentile, give me a call, your shaft   definitly borderline, the coupling wobbles on the end of the shaft,Ill measure the shaft and check for runout. the coupling is softer and thats what will wear (probably slight mis alignment over time) the trans is a 10-18
the shaft in the strut.... hooker at a convention....definitly had some driveline issues
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 8:18am
Eric,

Sledge Hammer? That foam is tougher than I thought

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 10:24am
multi purpose wrench, he has a brother and that ones called the heat wrench
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 12:58pm
Whats worse than hitting your thumb with that wheel, hitting it with a hammer the next day, got it wrapped in gauze, always in a hurry
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 1:33pm
Eric....that's awesome. Keep the photos coming if it's not too much trouble.

Sorry to hear about the injuries.

-JMurph
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 3:17pm
I thought you meant me hitting my finger was awesome...I'll post some more
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 4:54pm
BFN, checked the runout on the shaft, laser straight until i get to the taper after the strut, Im getting .030 not even close to being good and you really can't straghten them when thier bent at the taper, did this thing vibrate? you better get one on order along with the prop coupling and prop. the shaft is a 1 inch, overall is 40 inches, flat and 1/4 inch keys, I'll handle the bushing as we discussed. you may also want to think about a dripless too. call me tommorow       Eric
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 6:00pm
Eric I will call you around 10, and see what we can do about sume parts for that thing. I am going to call acme tomarrow about a prop. Sorry to hear about your finger again. Aparently the bfn doesn't like to be torn apart. Don't worry it gets better once it realizes your trying to fix it.

It split 2 of my knuckles wide open trying to get the water pump off when I changed it. Talk to you tomarrow. To answer your question, yes the last month of the season it did vibrate slightly, but you really had to look for it, was not very noticeable.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 9:51am
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 11:58am
The gloves would prevent alot of cuts and scratches.....I never could get used to wearing them.
Scott
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I thought you meant me hitting my finger was awesome...

Sorry about that!
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 2:05pm
I love seeing the wide array of tools used when people remove stringes and foam from their boats- one guy had his entire garden shed in the boat- hoe and all.
Next person who posts stringer removal pictures should try a chainsaw and a log splitter, maybe one of those Hilti electric jack hammers for good measure
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 5:11pm
Hey Eric I have a Hilti hammer drill if you would like to try it? Hope things are going better today then the past couple of days.

Was wondering, you said the main stringers were pretty good up front. Did you find a spot to tie into them, or are we still replacing the whole thing. If it's questionable I would rather just replace it, that way it wont rot the new stuff.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 7:04pm
[IMG]http://i124.ph
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 7:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
  Share Topic