Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is tubing growing in popularity or is just me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 11:50am
Ok, we're bitter. So what.

Its got to be the bad combination of something that requires zero talent nor courtesy that is so irritating.

The tubers that need to cover the whole lake, searching out calm water drive me insane. Whats the point other then to spoil the whole thing?
In my yoot, yeah, we used to tube some busy days. However we used to tube in one just one area, muck it up good, lots of turns. But the waves would dissapate elsewhere due to their increasing radius. Someone could always fine a spot that was still quite decent.

My 14 yo daughter slaloms, so has similar opinions of tubers and the like

She just tried a wakeboard for the first time two weeks ago, has yet to miss a start.

There is big satisfaction is watching her do effortless wake-to-wakes with excelent posture on my puney unweighted ski supreme wake.

The folk in overwheighted wb specific boats appear to ponder what they're doing wrong.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
RIPnSIX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RIPnSIX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 10:20am
Tubing Sucks. End of story. Learn some boat Etiquette, Do your kids a favor and teach them to board, ski, or foot. Anyone can ride on a tube of air. You should be ashamed to pull a tube behind your Correct Craft. If you dissagree, it's time to sell that $50,000.00 Nautique, grab some chips, and put your bitch ass in front of youtube, watch some videos on what watersports are all about.

simply put.. if you tube, you suck. No one likes to suck.
If you don't fall, you're not trying hard enough.

If it doesn't hurt.. Go Bigger.

Tubing Sucks.
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 10:18am
I agree 100%! The thing that pisses me off the most is that I see $75,000 wakeboard boats on the lake with the ballast tanks filled to the brim, pulling their $700 couch tube going in figure 8's and going over their own rollers while blasting "Call Me Maybe" at 4000 db so the whole lake can hear it... then they roll up to the dock and the next 3 kids hop on and come out and tear up the lake even more.

What kills me the most? The dad driving the boat spends 75% of his time turned around in the seat watching the EFFING TUBE instead of where he's going!

I just makes me sick to my stomach. I remember growing up as a little kid on that lake in the 80's and early 90's and all I remember hearing was the throaty sound of the 2001's and Barefoots pulling SKIERS and kneeboarders around the lake.... and the occasional barefooter. What happened to watersports??? The only tubes I remember seeing were the real innertube types, and just like M3 said, the whole object of those rides was that you weren't getting back in the boat until you were either bruised or hurt. lol
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 6:30am
And you can complain about just anything these days...

For instance, I'm not a big fan of the wakeboarders on our lake and river either... (And again: not all of them are this way) They come with their big bling wakeboard boats throwing a massive wake, busting up my barefoot and slalom glass, looking at nothing and thinking the water is theirs only

But the one thing I hate most is the @-holes with their yachts. Going on the lake around noon at full speed, not looking at skiers or anything, anchor and drinking wine and beer all day. Then they come back in the evening, doing little contests amongst each other (half drunk) full speed, throwing huge wakes... Being a danger to everybody.

We have a saying here amongst skiboat owners: "The bigger the boat, the more stupid the driver"

Almost had an accident with an f****ing @**hole like that two sundays ago. We were wakesurfing with my boat and my surfer fell. Made my turn to pick him up when I saw one of those idiots come right towards my fallen buddy. My friend started waving his board in the air to notify the yacht owner of his presence in the water. The guy still came right at him. I gave full throttle to get to my surfer as fast as I could and block the way for that yacht. At the last moment he changed course, throwing a massive wake that almost drowned my guy and sank my boat...
I was so pissed, that I gave the order to my guy to get in the boat and to my passengers to hold on thight...
And I went after that stupid mother********ing idiot. After a wild chase, I got next to his boat when he arrived near the beach where he was gonna anchor...
I was so pissed and angry, I jumped on his boat and slapped him right in the face, in front of his guests, warning him that if he ever pulled a stunt like that again, I would sink his boat!!!
He just payed for all the other yacht owners I guess... And my friends sat there in my boat tongue-tied
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 5:45am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Contrary to Joel's story, I cannot seem to remember any spectacular tube rides. They are all a blur and were a complete waste of time. Never again.

I disagree. Yes flame me on this one, but I have a tube. It's a slider and the only type of tube that I like... But believe me, IT IS tuber against driver behind my boat
I make it a personal affair to get you off that thing within two minutes (without driving like a madman or inapropriate speed like some other idiots on our lake)

The other way we use our tube is as a floating terrace when we anchor the boat to relax and enjoy the sun...

And for the rest I agree on all counts with Joel and others here...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 5:28am
yep pussification
I wanted to commit suicide frome extreme boredom after watching kids complain about bumps while riding the tube in a "safe and sane" manner where they never were ejected and didn't even get their hair wet. Ok the kids 5 but geez. while we were sitting on the dock I told the boy the tube only needs one thing: a knife.
This is the life
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 4:25am
Tubes wouldnt be bad at all if the d-bags driving the boat would just drive straight and not power turn and figure 8. BUT then what fun would that be My mom likes to take a few laps behind my boat on a tube but in our family the rule is clockwise around the lake and (in my fathers words) ACT like youve got some D*mn sense. it really does not hurt the water to bad at all. no worse than the guys i the 200hp bass boats doing speed runs... but thats another topic
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 3:37am
We just had a 10 year old killed within the last weekend or two also Bill. Pulled by a rented pontoon he fell off and was run over by a following boat.As a parent I just could not imagine that. Joel and Quinner can confirm since they live closer to that lake,but I understand it's small and has heavy traffic?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
AirTique98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirTique98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 3:20am

Like most of the others on this thread I have never been a fan of tubing....never allowed my kids to tube as I've seen too many children hurt by an irresponsible driver wanting to give them an extra "thrill" on their ride. I figured I'd rather take my chances with them skiing or footing. There were two recent serious tubing incidents this summer, one in Georgia where a tuber was hit by a jet skier [on life support last I heard] and another in Virginia where a tube ended up in the woods after a "whip" leaving a 10 year old dead and a 9 year old in critical condition.

On the aggravation end the new supersized ones that appear to be as large as a living room couch towed by a ballasted wake boat with the tower speakers blasting set a new high. We see so many high end ski boats pulling nothing but tubes these days that on that rare occasion when someone is actually skiing [or even wakeboarding] behind one my wife makes a point to alert me to this event!!
Bill
98Air Nautique

Former Owner:
1990 Ski Nautique
1981 Ski Nautique
1976 Ski Nautique
1971 Ski Nautique
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 2:00am
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

It's part of the pussification of America, and the constant need for instant gratification. Lots of kids aren't encouraged to learn something difficult that may not happen in an afternoon.

Bingo!

We've about had it with these d-bags too.

I wouldn't do it because it would be wrong... but I can't help but think about going around the campground at night with a needle and just sticking pin holes in those big MF tubes! I think it would be fun to watch them try to keep them inflated all day long watching those kids wake up in the morning, crying, because the "Big Bertha" tube that's strapped to the back of that big I/O is deflated, and dad forgot to bring the patch kit.

We have a tube, the kids used to enjoy it but since they have gotten older they don't even ask to bring it anymore. I think I'm going to sell it.

I did have to give a jet skier the one fingered salute last weekend, he was jumping the wake right behind Justin as he was wakeboarding! As soon as he seen me yelling and waving the finger at him he turned and went the other way.

There are a lot of courteous boaters out there, but unfortunately they seem to be a dying species.

pepatrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepatrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 1:48am
Sorry..but tubing is fun for some of the kids. My kids wake, ski and knee board, but every once in a while they want to tube. If they want to tube, I will pull them. I get it...skiing is more exercise, but sometimes they just want to chill and still be on the lake. It just isn't that big of a deal.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 1:18am
Our lake turned public a month ago. We have also been taken over with the tube ona couch behind a super air nautique species.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 1:11am
Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

Yeah agreed on all points too.

I found a tube floating on the lake last week. My boys were so excited to see the kabar come out of the glove box. So if you are missing your HO Spiral, is in the trash can at Marshall Park, west end of Lake Mendota.

LOL. Love the Kabar reference- that's digging deep.

I don't care about surfing and wakeboarding. At least you get your swimsuit wet with those sports. The couch-tubing, all day, has got-to-go.

To be fair, on our lake it doesn't start until after probably noonish but it's not every day that we can spring out of bed early and ski, or winds aren't ideal at the right time, etc. It's really principle more than anything else. If you're driving in circles on a 300 acre lake for 4 hours, that's just too much IMO and totally inconsiderate.

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:58am
I guess whats really happening is that you guy's are getting older    I gotta go, some kids are on my lawn
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:51am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I've seen boats tube for over 4 hours nonstop on my little lake up north.

Can you imagine the fuel bill for a day of this.

I will admit we surf but try to save that for after the water goes to crap and we can't do anyting else anyway. We're also on a river and know where the true skiers and boarders play so it's easier to stay out of their way. I think they call that courtesy.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:46am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I am pretty predjudiced on this one but when I see a tubing family this is what I vision,then I puke. Tell me that kid has a chance.

What are they looking down at?
Leaning concrete? Grab handles that broke? Wondering if he'll make it?

If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:41am
Yeah agreed on all points too.

Can't stand the way they drive with a tube on behind. Wild ass crap that should get you jailed for endangering your kids in such a way. The drivers are often way to focused on watching the tube than where the boat is pointed.

At least with surfers the boat is traveling slower and more often straight.

I found a tube floating on the lake last week. My boys were so excited to see the kabar come out of the glove box. So if you are missing your HO Spiral, is in the trash can at Marshall Park, west end of Lake Mendota.

If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:26am

I am pretty predjudiced on this one but when I see a tubing family this is what I vision,then I puke. Tell me that kid has a chance.

He's out of breath and hasn't completely beached himself yet.

I took my daughter to one of the local marinas Saturday to see how she liked the fit on the boots on a new pair of intermediate skis. The skis and wakeboards are in the back showroom. You find them after you walk past all the fn tubes, which you can see in the front of the store from the road.
The co-owner spent some time talking with my daughter about the progress of her skiing. In parting, she tells my daughter how happy she is that she's skiing because so few kids on the lake even try to learn anymore. She then says "hardly anyone even bothers to go in the back showroom anymore. They just come and buy tubes." It's not my place to tell her how to run her business and I'm sure the tubes are her money makers but I sure felt like saying "So put the fn tubes in the backroom and make them walk past the skis and boards."
Driving past the lake yersterday, I looked out to see a pontoon pulling kids on a tube, chasing a cuddy pulling kids on a tube, in a nice little circle. Quite the circus act.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:15am
To me, it's the length of the run. 10 minutes doing my "Real sport" and I'm done. My boat goes on the lift and nobody else on the lake is affected for the rest of the day.

I've seen boats tube for over 4 hours nonstop on my little lake up north.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:05am
Sounds like you need waterski ambassadors out there.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 11:37pm
I have to play the devils advocate here.
Whats the difference between a tuber getting pulled or these mammoth wave making wake boats. They both destroy any kind of ski able water or even boat able water.
If you ask me yes most tubers are dumba$$ boaters with no clue but these new wake boats are just as bad.
End of July we were in Deep Creek MD(tuber capital of the world) for the week and some of these wake boats about knocked us off our docks as they came by. MOST OF THEM PULLING TUBES with loaded up ballast WTF.
I just cringe when I think of those ugly a$$ G-25 barges hitting the lake.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 11:09pm
Nick,

Michigan has the most beautiful lakes in the Midwest hands down. We spent a week up in Glen Lake over the fourth, In the AM it was skiers only but once the lunch bell rang, omg tubers everywhere, majority being pulled by big dollar V-Drives with towers or brand new Cobalts, wtf?? No skiers anywhere. Craziest thing I saw was what appeared to be a Dad wakesurfing his kids on an i/o Cobalt, dangerous and lame all in one.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 11:00pm
I can see this thread exploding, like I wish all tubes would!!
The PWC's are right there on the aggravator meter followed by the surfers, then you get the over ballasted wb boats pulling a rider who cannot even do a wake to wake.

Tough situation because the tubers and big wave boats are creating a black eye for any towed watersport.

Tubing specific, this summer we had a moron on a PWC hit a tube while being pulled, unreal, one of the tubers was slightly injured.

Again this year, on the Chain of lakes near us (busiest waterway in Chicagoland) a parent took their kids tubing on Saturday late afternoon in what is virtually a highway of boat traffic, the 10yr old fell off the tube and was run over by a 29' Baja and killed. Unimaginable horror and beyond sad.

No doubt it is a problem, the scary part is if the solution compromises all of us responsible skiers.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 9:11pm

It's all McDonalds fault not theirs!!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I think dad needs a 'Bro' He's got some serious man boobs!

I'm having a hard time figuring out who is the "she" and "he"!!!

Yes, we see plenty of them in northern Wi.!1

Joel, I'm surprised you have a issue on your private little lake??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 8:54pm
I think dad needs a 'Bro' He's got some serious man boobs!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 8:47pm
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 8:36pm
I agree to everything that all y'all have said. YES the tubes are getting obnoxious and all that people want to do anymore. Allan is dead on. Kids are getting fat and lazy and it's up to parents to stay active in some cases.
The last two times I had taken teenagers out they wanted to tube. I first time I said I didn't have any but that I had kneeboards. They were bummed but after trying them out were glad I didn't have tubes. The 2nd pair tubed as I borrowed Nautiquehunters which I really did have to get sweet talked into but convinced them to try and kneeboard once we found good water and they loved it as well.

My daughter Sydney (who's 16) surprised the heck out of me by saying " Dad, next weekend we are at your house we need to get up at 6AM and come to the lake so we'll have good water to ski on! These tubers are ruining the water!" Music to my ears Gentlemen.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 8:35pm
agree on all points...and it's actually worse up north than it is at my house. i think it has a lot to do with a change in the type of people that have an "up north" cabin...used to be hunters and outdoors DIY kind of people...people that had respect for the land and the lake...they bought the lake property because they loved being outside. they ski a little, fish, tube a little maybe, relax by the lake, build their own place, etc...good people...i call them "originals". i think this started to change about 10 or 15 years ago with the whole cheap loans and second mortgages and property value increase. the up north lake lots and cabin prices skyrocketed and the people buying them became clueless yuppy d-bags with no idea how to bait a hook or drive a boat. they bought pontoons with huge outboards because some d-bag salesman convinced them they could "do evertything". these people built huge houses with AC and dish network...sit inside all day except from 1-6PM when they TUBE *************** NONSTOP!!! I *************** HATE THESE PEOPLE!!!
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2012 at 8:28pm

if Dad is pot bellied, beer drinking, kinda guy the kids are a lost cause.

Hey I resemble that remark and my 5 year old skis and my 1 year old will be on the ski trainer next year. And neither one will ever be on a tube or play soccer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic