NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replaced the Pro-Tec system

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

I don't know.

now you know.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 2:49pm
Hi
I'm hoping there is a picture attached here.

It shows a 600 Holley marine carb primary throttle shaft on the right. It has 3 grooves at either end where it rides in the throttle plate, no seals. It acts like a labyrinth seal. The other is a non marine 390 Holley, just a smooth shaft.

It took me way longer to get the picture and get it on here than it did to get the shaft out to show the difference.

Keno

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 3:51pm
Nice comparison KENO. The marine throttle shaft also looks like it could be made of a different material, however it could just be newer and cleaner. I don't recall if it is a different material or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is. The splines are definitely marine specific.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 9:07pm
Hi

The marine one is brass and the car one is steel.

The brass one only looks good because of a wire wheel. The car one was cleaned with a wire wheel too, didn't clean up as good though.

Keno
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 1:34am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

For the carburetor, the marine version is really only differentiated by the tubes, which can be bought at DIM for 8 bucks. Why Holley charges over a hundred dollars more for a marinized carb compared to the same street carb, I don't know. Price gouging I guess is the only answer.

WRONG!!!!! The throttle plate shafts are splined and sealed to prevent fuel leakage through them and out of the body of the carb. Auto versions don't have this feature. You really think that changing a vent tube automatically makes a carb a marine version?

Bringin' the RAAAARRRR, huh? Simmer down skippy.

Good thing my throttle plate is from the marine carb then.

In my case, yes, that was enough to make it marinized.

LOL

It STILL is price gouging. I looked last night in Summit's catalog, and the marine 4160 in the same cfm range was 200 dollars more than the automotive one.

Thanks for the comparison shot KENO, posting a pic does a lot more than shouting out that someone is wrong. That really does make sense.

Now I wonder why the marinized versions of the edelbrock carbs are not much more than the auto ones. Maybe Edlebrock isn't into gouging as bad? I actually understand Holley carbs though, unlike edelbrock carbs.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
eklock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eklock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 2:10am

So do you have a flame arrestor on the boat now?

The flame arrestor has never been removed. I've simply concealed it's unsightlyness with a finned aluminum cover. The boat is fully USCG compliant.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 3:16am

It STILL is price gouging. I looked last night in Summit's catalog, and the marine 4160 in the same cfm range was 200 dollars more than the automotive one.

Now I wonder why the marinized versions of the edelbrock carbs are not much more than the auto ones. Maybe Edlebrock isn't into gouging as bad? I actually understand Holley carbs though, unlike edelbrock carbs.

Could be because they probably build and sell a ratio of 100:1 auto versus marine carbs. Maybe you're right and they're gouging but the choice is yours to buy either brand so why complain about something you can't change?

And just my opinion but I think your signature bash on Correct Craft is in poor taste. If the newbie with the picture of the hot babe had to change his then yours should surely go too.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 4:11am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Could be because they probably build and sell a ratio of 100:1 auto versus marine carbs. Maybe you're right and they're gouging but the choice is yours to buy either brand so why complain about something you can't change?

And just my opinion but I think your signature bash on Correct Craft is in poor taste. If the newbie with the picture of the hot babe had to change his then yours should surely go too.

I am not really familiar with edelbrocks, so I went and found a local carb guru and I got a marine like new holley for a lot less than either a new edelbrock or holley marine carb.

I love my CC. I spent a ton of hours and $$ making it how I wanted it, but I surely was not happy to find that the battery box drain was glassed nearly completely closed from the factory. Beside that flaw, it has been very good to me outside of normal maintenace on a boat that is 30 years old this year. I am sure you can appreciate that.

If anything you drew attention to it so that I realized I had a fat finger typo. It is fixed now.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 9:53am

And just my opinion but I think your signature bash on Correct Craft is in poor taste.

If anything you drew attention to it so that I realized I had a fat finger typo. It is fixed now.

I'm not gonna argue with you but when I read your signature I read "No Class". You could change that in a second but that's up to you. Goodbye.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 11:52am
Hey 81

Congrats on your boat being selected as the feature boat. Very nice job.

Especially like the silver screen surround is it just polished aluminium or anodised.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Hey 81

Congrats on your boat being selected as the feature boat. Very nice job.

Especially like the silver screen surround is it just polished aluminium or anodised.

Thanks Lewy2001, That was a nice surprise, The windshield frame is polished aluminum.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2008 at 3:42pm

And just my opinion but I think your signature bash on Correct Craft is in poor taste.

I'm not gonna argue with you but when I read your signature I read "No Class". You could change that in a second but that's up to you. Goodbye.

Perception alters reality. My statement is not a bash, and never was intended on being one.

I am sure you understand as well as I do that these boats take a lot of time and $$.

It is too bad you wanted to get off on the wrong foot.

I am sure I will see your boat sometime in WI, as most of the boats in IL end up in WI at some point. So I really don't think a goodbye is necessary.

Also, I like this site a lot since it is pretty much the only site for older nautiques. So I won't be going anywhere.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic