NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shaft, strut bushing

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shaft, strut bushing
    Posted: April-03-2008 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by 84bare12 84bare12 wrote:

Midwest told me to leave the strut on the boat and use the old shaft and try to straighten the strut, not sure i like that idea, trying to straiten the strut while its bolted to the boat!!!! thou its not off by much. HELP!!!!!

I did read it right then. Don't do it...you'll just end up with cracked glass and gel probs!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 11:22pm

Midwest told me to leave the strut on the boat and use the old shaft and try to straighten the strut,

Some of the dealers as well as Midwest have never been known for their finesse!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 11:18pm
I just bought a new strut for $200 at SkiDim. My friend said he has a strut straightening fixture but I don't think I could push it back it as straight as it came on the CNC.

Now I am going to focus on not hitting anything!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 11:06pm
if it had all that load on it i sure wouldnt want a rubber bushing in there cause i dont think it would last under load, lets be realistic here, my statement was.....they really do not have alot of force on them, the back of the trans is taking all of the load straight in (axial)
If it had as much side load on it as you think, it would have a bronze bushing in it, the propeller is propelling 2500 lbs forward, AGAIN...they really do not have alot of force on them   dictionary.....they do means yes, not alot of force, means not nearly even as close to what the output bearing of the trans has in it thus we use a rubbbbbbber bushing

"the things you own will start to own you"
84bare12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84bare12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 11:06pm
Midwest told me to leave the strut on the boat and use the old shaft and try to straighten the strut, not sure i like that idea, trying to straiten the strut while its bolted to the boat!!!! thou its not off by much. HELP!!!!!
Mark 84bare12"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 8:32pm
Ok, keep eating the popcorn! I see what the Docs buddy at General is saying. The torque of the prop is twisting the hull BUT the hull is pushing back creating the side loading on the strut. Guy's you are both right!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

More thought on this will come!!!

Cool, no wasted popcorn!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 8:08pm
I'm sure going to have to do some thinking on this one. Torque on the prop shaft is a easy one and the reason our single screw hulls roll but side loading on the strut is tough. I can see large side loading on a surface drive because the prop will want to walk sideways. When the prop is submerged I'm thinking the load is a radial and would cancel itself out.The only difference with the hull on one side it may push downwards more. More thought on this will come!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 5:51pm
I did get the popcorn anyway.... LOL!!

There is nothing in this world as the comments on this site... Makes the popcorn taste even better LOL, LOL and LOL

Doc, about hair issues...
Why does a man become bald on the forehead?
... because he thinks a lot.
Why does a man become bald on the back of his head?
... because he works hard.
Why does a man become bald on both sides?
... because he thinks he works hard........

End of threadjack (my apologies),
Kristof

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 5:35pm
I wish I could change the "classification" under my screen name.....
God Fearing ***************
That would sum me up.........Boat dr

The only thing platinum with me is my hair and there is not much of that...hahaha
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 5:21pm
we are the minority oh well *************** occurs
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 5:05pm
I did not understand the pecking order here, but I guess it go like this;
Administrator...........Keith
Moderator.............Brad
Posting Police...........???????
The rest that tell the truth good or bad..............!!!!!!!!!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

sorry I just think the Doc's been grilled enough offline as it is so no need to egg anyone on.

You lost me...but yessir!    (wow-3 in 1 week )
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 4:50pm
sorry I just think the Doc's been grilled enough offline as it is so no need to egg anyone on.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 4:39pm
C'mon Chris, I was joking. I already knew there was side thrust on the strut(sorry Eric), but I'm enjoying the information!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 4:34pm
well I think the pop corn is going to be stail before you get to read a follow up. The point is there is a load on the strut so is there really a need to go any further? so it's best left alone.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 4:15pm
OK Kristof...run get some popcorn! Now we all get to learn something.
1988 BFN-sold

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 4:06pm
, Chris called my buddy at General propeller today and asked him where the load was and how much "side load was applied at the strut"
Did not post as Allen would deem me being argumentative. But being you brought the subject back up ......
I try not to speak up or comment on a topic unless I have firsthand knowledge or have called and asked .
It is hard to get the smell off of comments that are pulled out of your rectal cavity.
The question was how much side load is applied to the strut????
Answer; till the boat starts moving forward , there is a high torque load on the strut. This will diminish as forward momentum starts,but there will always be a "SIDE LOAD on the strut.He estimated 350 lb./ feet times the height of the strut from centerline.
Several factors also come into play also mostly tranny gear reduction and prop dia. along with pitch.
Pete hopfully will chine in and give us some real time numbers,I am just passing info am in no way an Engineer, but I aint the dimmest bulb in the pack............Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

my brain has 10 things going on at once BD,
fixture, boat doc the force is straight in no matter which way you go left or right

where do you come up with stuff?

yes you are right the force is in a straight line,

It's just that straight line of force is perpendicular to the axis of rotation, that's why it's called torque, a rotational straight line force that constantly changes about a point and the further that line is from that point the greater the torque.

So if we went by your theory heliocopters wouldn't need a tail rotor to stablize them since the force is in a straight line right, will everyone knows, well most people do your living proof some don't, that they all have tail rotors so that they don't spin in circles like the main rotor blades.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 1:15pm
Eric if this indeed true try this......

Remove the rudder
Plug the hole so it does not sink
Drop it in gear
If the force in only in a straight line the boat will go forward with no deviation, left or right.
Now hammer on the throttle and see what happens..........
The boat will start to turn, WHY ?????
Slang for it is prop walk, with an outboard or surface drives you will encounter a situation called BLOW OUT, where the boat can swap ends at WOT..........
With an airplane propeller this force is called the P FACTOR, same principal , but the effect is 8x's greater because of the density of the water ...........Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 12:49pm
my brain has 10 things going on at once BD,
fixture, boat doc the force is straight in no matter which way you go left or right

where do you come up with stuff?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

, the strut is a guide and really do not have a lot of force on them

What tranny school taught you that,there is a conciderable side load and this is multiplied greatly in a turn..
And FIXTURE is the correct spelling, not picture with an F,ever heard of "SPELL CHECK"

Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 10:36am
while on the boat??? bfn
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 10:33am

i talked to Jeff at Midwest today and he said if its out of alignment from right to left its an easy fix by using the old shaft, if out of alignment up and down that's hard to fix. its not off by much, so I'm going to try to fix it!!!!!

Sounds like he means for you to use the shaft to adjust where the strut is mounted rather than you using it to bend the strut? I may have read your post wrong?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 10:22am
they are tough to straighten but can be done, the biggest problem is holding them in the press, i will use as many c-clamps as i can to hold it to the side rail, the best way would be a fixture and im sure there are some prop shops that do struts all the time that have fixtures, i also used heat without the worry of losing strength in the strut, the strut is a guide and really do not have a lot of force on them
84bare12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84bare12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 12:25am
i talked to Jeff at Midwest today and he said if its out of alignment from right to left its an easy fix by using the old shaft, if out of alignment up and down that's hard to fix. its not off by much, so I'm going to try to fix it!!!!!
Mark 84bare12"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 9:18pm
    LOL

I only meant that as a way to see if there was a problem. I think that bent struts are more common than I've seen here...except that this is a group of pros...and of pros to be!

Mark, if it's bent, don't use the shaft to straighten it. You'll have to pull it off to get it right; maybe replace.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Have you tried sighting the shaft vs. the rudder from about 3-4 feet? You shouldn't be able to see the back of the shaft on either side.

Greg, You've been sighting down lumber looking for straightness too much!! There is a strong possibility that CC didn't put the rudder port in the correct spot!! You may be able to get a rough idea but I wouldn't use it for strut alignment. I would only go by using the shaft in the strut through the hull hole and log - preferably with the plastic bushing I have mentioned temporarily in place of the cutlass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 4:44pm
Hang in there Mark. This was true of both of the boats I've had and it wasn't a big deal to fix them once I knew what needed fixing. Have you tried sighting the shaft vs. the rudder from about 3-4 feet? You shouldn't be able to see the back of the shaft on either side. That may tell your tale.
1988 BFN-sold

84bare12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84bare12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 10:15pm
single taper, never had a problem with trans, i noticed the shaft was lose in the coupling and i no that's not right, i ordered a new coupling because it appeared to be worn. i also ordered a new shaft just in case. and since i had the shaft out i figured I'll replace the cutlass. i thought the engine was out of alignment until i put the new shaft threw the cutlass and noticed the struts out of alignment
Mark 84bare12"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic