Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ELECTRIC CHOKES! Holley Carb model 4160, electric
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ELECTRIC CHOKES! Holley Carb model 4160, electric

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ELECTRIC CHOKES! Holley Carb model 4160, electric
    Posted: May-21-2011 at 12:59am
After messing with the SN tonight i noticed the choke plate was not moving. When the boat starts keep in mind it was shooting to 2300 and them stalling.

Well held the butterflies shut with my hand and bammmmm it idles at 800.

Two questions:
      1. what should the two screws at each side of the carb be set at. someone said screw   them all the way in then back them out a turn?

2. I looked on SKi Dim for my Holley Carb model 4160, electric choke replacement. I then looked at Summit Auto (which is about 15 minutes from my house) and found the same part. Can these be interchangeable.

What are your guys thoughts???

Thanks Joe          
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2011 at 1:34am
I have the choke disconnected on mine, so it's always fully opened and it idles at 750rpms.

Having said so, I dont think the choke is your problem, have you messed with the carb or distributor lately? did you check base timing? are the secondaries fully closed at idle? how's the ralenti screw set? too many turns in maybe? Any other engine work when the issue started?

edit:
oh, just remembered your other thread, it seems your reluctant to follow advise, as you got pretty good responses over there and you never bothered responding my questions on your issue. So it's really up to you if you want to keep chasing your tail looking at what's not allowing you to enjoy the boating experience or listen to the more experienced guys here. I dont need to remember it's you having a boat issue, we just want to help you, do you want to be helped?
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2011 at 7:48am
Closing the choke plate indicates to me that you have a vacuum leak somewhere. I think Eric mentioned that in your original post(edit sorry it was Joe). Intake to heads or carby to intake are the most common places. Have a good look around spraying a bit of WD40 can help isolate the problem area.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2011 at 4:37pm
Luchog: I have taken advise and I am extremely pleased with the feedback.I just took a glance at the previous post and I apologize I missed your comment.
-Rebuild was done by eric at FFM.
-No back fire.
-The issue started when the heads cracked.
-installed GTP40 heads (Eric recommended checking for leak around intake. This is where my issue is I have no clue how to do this or where to start or look.)

Eric was awesome had a ton of good information and if I had the money I would take it back. Great shop, quick and nice.

I have changed the timing chain, changed the cap and rotor(checked the springs on the breaker less, and greased them), check anti siphon, and replaced fuel filter. I have done almost everything that has been advised to me.

I am also going to check for vacuum leaks ( I have head carb cleaner or soapy water) tonight and someone said PVC valve.
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2011 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by 82wake2001 82wake2001 wrote:

Luchog:
I am also going to check for vacuum leaks ( I have head carb cleaner or soapy water) tonight and someone said PVC valve.

Carb cleaner OK.....Soapy water NO!!!!
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2011 at 8:28pm
Joe, did Eric install the heads and intake? If not, first thing to do is checking for vacuum leaks. was it straight dropped over? did you follow the torque sequence?

Another place for vacuum leaks could be at the carb base, or the adaptor plate base. spray carb cleaner or WD40 over there too.

Also check the secondaries are fully closed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 1:40am
Ok. I just got home and a few things have developed. First the screws on either side were turned out about 5 full turns. Second changed the pcv valve and noticed that line was really loose cut off the stretched out part.

So I got it to idle the boat to idle at 900. Squished some carb cleaner and found a massive leak on the starboard side of the carb. It has two new gaskets but looks like the leak is from the section of the base plate that meets the exhaust manifold.

Now the questions.
First with the leak. There is a new gasket present how do I seal the leak.
Second the mixture screws on either side of the carb. Scew all the way in and back out one turn ok?

I found zero leaks around the exhaust manifold FYI

Thanks for the help guys. I think we are getting closer!
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 2:33am
neither the PCV or the carb screws are the issue here.

The leak you found is.

The carb plate doesnt meet the exhaust manifold, it's the INTAKE manifold.
The exhaust manifolds are the 2 piramid like hanging on the sides of the engine.

is the carb properly adjusted on the intake? there should be no leaks unless a surface is not straight or a gasket is bad.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 9:49am
What intake manifold do you have on this motor? Aftermarket or stock?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 9:59am
I have the stock intake. You guys could be awesome and tell me to get an edilbrok performer intake :).

Do the spacers ever go bad at the base of the carb?
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 9:59am
how was the chain when you pulled it? no luch on installing the heads, i can faintly remember an issue with the intake and i felt with the hours we may have been chasing our tails because i vacuum gauged it and it was fluttering with low vacuum.
anytime i see a flutter in the gauge its hard to move onto the next step and you have to take care of the mechanical issues first....he is heading in the right direction
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 11:42am
Chain was ok. Little slack no broken teeth. I did put a double roller in :). Timing is now advanced to 10. I have a friend that has a vacuum gauge coming out Wednesday.

We are going to pull the carb off and reset it. any tips on sealing it so this does not happen again ? Maybe a thicker gasket (if they even make them) or double up. Any sealer I could add to the gasket?
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 1:22pm
Double gaskets typically result in warped throttle plate. Just get a single nice thick Felpro
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 12:07am
Originally posted by 82wake2001 82wake2001 wrote:

I have the stock intake. You guys could be awesome and tell me to get an edilbrok performer intake :).

Do the spacers ever go bad at the base of the carb?

To be honest the stock intake seals better than even an adapter plate on an edelbrock with the holley.    The performer is a great intake for a ski boat, but putting a squarebore on a spreadbore intake   adds another possible vacuum leak.   I could not get the stock pcv slaveries to seal properly, despite every combo you could try so I am running no spacer.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 6:05pm
Tom, with the Edelbrock and no spacer, do you feel you got any performance gain over stock with spacer? I'd like an Edelbrock as much for the better breathing as for the weight savings.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic