Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet Drive Rotation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velvet Drive Rotation
    Posted: March-07-2008 at 2:40pm
Quick question guys:

If I am running a reverse rotation (right turning) engine does the transmission have to be purchased to match or is it simply an indexing issue at the point of cable attachment?

I am going to put a Crusader 454 in my 68 San Juan attached to a Velvet Drive 72C. I am knowledgeable about engines, but do not know as much about the tranny. Thanks in advance for any help!
Barry, South Carolina
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 2:45pm
your tranny will work it can be indexed to spin either way. It just has to match the engines rotation.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 2:47pm
Threadjack.....Chris give me a call 1-318-386-2825.boat dr
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 2:55pm
what do you need? it's funner to bitch at each other here so everyone can enjoy.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 3:04pm
Yes i agree with that statement, dont have a bitch. Just wanted to "bounce" a situation off you............
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 3:04pm
He wants to hear your sweet voice.
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 6:00pm
Thanks for the response 79nautique. Time to start shopping for a 72C.
Barry, South Carolina
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 7:00pm
B, you can run a 71c on the boat if you chose to do so, they are cheaper and more available, they fall well within what you are trying to accomplish, if you were going from a 13" prop up to and 18" then i would say you need a 10-18 or 72c.
what needs to be understood is if you put 10,000 horsepower in front of a normal ski boat prop and in front of that prop used to be 300 hp the ratings would be the same. The horsepower used would be the same on the prop and the transmission does not notice the extra horsepower, transmissions notice diameter change and thats why i said earlier if you were going up to an 18' prop then you would need a 72c
they use the 71 and 72 transmissions in a variety of boats and the majority of them are in 20 to 40 ft boats spinning sometimes 24' props. in a ski boat they barely notice the 12" prop
"the things you own will start to own you"
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 7:58pm
Eric,

Not to open up a can of worms because I know pitch/hp ratios etc. has been discussed on this site before, but If I am currently running a 13x13 RH prop with a 71 transmissions behind a Chrysler 318 don't I have to increase the size of the transmission to a 72 if I am putting in a Crusader 454 with a 13x15RH prop? The torque and hp of the Crusader are much more than the Chrysler.

I didn't know the 71 would mount to a big block, but if it will work just as well and be less expensive I'm all for it. What do you think?
Barry, South Carolina
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 10:04pm
Barry, no problem at all and the 72 an 71 are almost dimensional the same except the 72 is about and inch longer, the prop is where the hp is absorbed and your only going a couple degrees of pitch....you could put a 426 Hemi in front of that prop and 71c and it wouldnt hurt a thing
"the things you own will start to own you"
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 6:00pm
Eric,

Thanks for the 411. I'll just use the 71 transmission that I have on the 318 that is coming out of the boat. I'm glad to finally find something that is going to cost less on My 68 San Juan Rebuild!
Barry, South Carolina
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic