NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SAN versus Centurion Cyclone?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tachyon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tachyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SAN versus Centurion Cyclone?
    Posted: February-20-2008 at 12:52am
I was thinking about selling my 2004 Centurion Cyclone to get into a SAN, probably a 2000 to a 2002 model year, just to keep the prices reasonable.

Has anyone here done much comparison to a SAN from a Centurion? I used to work at a marina (14 years ago...) that sold Nautique & Supra...and the Nautiques were ALWAYS my favorite, I just never quite found the deal I was looking for when I was boat shopping.

I would love to hear any thoughts, opinions, experience, etc... regarding this!

Thanks!
Manufacturer of the Super Deluxe Boom Mount!

www.tachyonmotorsports.com
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 1:31am
Can't answer your question Rick but wanted to welcome you to our site and compliment you on your boom mount. Guy I foot with uses one and it is really cool. Very quality item guys if you are thinking of one.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
tachyon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tachyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 1:37am
Wow! You guys are nice over here! Thanks for the welcome and the compliment on the boom mount!

Now if I could just trade a couple hundred of those for a SAN....

Where are you located, are you in the mid-west?

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 1:40am
I am in Central Florida...a little place called Lake Wales.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

tachyon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tachyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 1:50am
I see you're in Florida, do you 'foot with Derik or Martin?

I need to stop visiting web forums in winter! I'm getting excited to go skiing now...and we've still got 3 feet of ice on the lakes. It will be -15 by morning. Two more months until we can ski...and even then the water will be in the 40's!

Anyhow, back on topic, I've been thinking about stepping up to the Nautique, but I still need to figure out the pros & cons of the situation... Anyone have thoughts on this?

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 2:03am
I foot with a guy from the site...backfoot100...Eddie Olson.

As to the Nautique question...well I am on my sixth..so I quess that answers it from my side.

BTW: we were all out on the St. Johns river this past weekend. Pictures are on here on a couple different threads; St. Johns Reunion and St. Some Where Else. We will be footing this weekend like we do most every Saturday. We love guests.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 2:33am
Rick,

If you have not already done so try that question on Wakeworld or PlanetNautique, probably more WB guy's over there.

No opinion/experience on the Cyclone myself other then it's a cool looking boat, as far as the SAN everything I have read regards it as one of the best WB boats out there, as long as you like a steep wake. You may find a few late 02's with the Excalibur 330hp (SBC) however 00'-02' most will have GT-40's 310hp (SBF) and perhaps a few with Pythons 430hp (BBC), IMHO all great Engines.

If Footin is also your thing you may want to ask that question as well, not sure how well the SAN does in that regards unless it has a Python of course.

Good Luck
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 2:39am
CQ: You're up mighty late. Sure missed a great time Saturday. We had a blast.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 11:09am
   Tachyon,

Is that the same hull as the Lightning?I have some experience with that hull vs the 210.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 12:04pm
jbear

Do you guys foot every Saturday?
I'm heading down to St Pete and Sarasota over Easter break. There's a slim chance I can break away from the family, but you never know.

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 12:15pm
He and Ed alternate lakes I believe and pretty much a regular schedule. Just tell them what day and I'm sure John will jump on board but you might not hear anything from him until tonight.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

jbear

Do you guys foot every Saturday?
I'm heading down to St Pete and Sarasota over Easter break. There's a slim chance I can break away from the family, but you never know.

Steve

Steve, yes we try to get together most saturdays. If you can't make it on a saturday, let me know and I might be able to arrange something for another day. That seems to be the time there is a possibility that other friends and family will be down so I can't make any promises, but I'd be willing to try. I believe that's spring training time down here too so I don't know what John's availability is during that time frame. He does this other baseball stuff that I just don't understand when you can ski instead.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 1:21pm
Ed I thought it was just his time to turn into a social butterfly for a couple months.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 6:34pm
Yeah Chris, I have no idea what he's gonna do when the Indians move to AZ next year.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
tachyon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tachyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 11:45pm
It is actually a bit different from the lightning hull. The lightning is 21'6", whereas the Cyclone is 20'8". There was a lightning 'C4' that was nearly the same profile as the Cyclone, is that the hull you have experience with?

Thanks!

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 12:30am
Steve: As you can tell from Eddie's post, of course we will work something out to get together. We love seeing C/CFANers down here and showing off our lakes. Especially in the winter when you guys need a break.

Chris: We need to see you down here soon. I think my old points are going bad and I need some expert help with them. Heck, with my skill level I'll take just about all the help I can get.

Now...as to BASEBALL....the only sport....yes I might take a bit of time off from other pursuits to enjoy this special game. Plus we always have some friends down for a few games. You gotta understand...living in Ohio..never hardly seeing the sun all winter...being stuck in the snow and slush..Spring Training was always a special fantasy. Next year...no Tribe....here I come to Lakeland to see my second favorite team...the Tigers.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 12:35am

But do you think the Tigers might be any good this year?

When it gets closer to Easter, I'll get in touch.

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 12:40am
They made a couple of awesome pick-ups. Their pitching looks very strong.

Stay in touch...we'd love to foot with ya. We have a blast every Saturday.
"Loud pipes save lives"

05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 12:56am
Tachyon,

I believe the lightning C4 was the later version.The boat I'm talking about is an 04.I think the c4 came out in 05 but I may be wrong.My neighbor at the lake bought in new 2 years ago as a leftover.I guess it would depend on what you'd be using it for.
   I don't ski,but the guys I've towed with my 210 are not impressed.The centurion seems to have a flatter wake for skiing.The surf wakes are great on both boats.I have towed a few novice footers and no one has complained about the table at those speeds.The wake on the 210 is much larger with stock ballast and alot less forgiving.It takes alot less weight to get a nice wake for boarding with my boat than his,but it seems to be more sensitive to weight placement.I believe he has the 315hp motor,and with the stock prop the boat feels underpowered with extra peeps and full ballast tank.My 210 has the excal330 and have never felt it was underpowered.
     The Lightning handles rough water better,but my boat handles better.
   The resale ,attention to detail and build quality of the Correct Craft is far superior in my eyes ,and he sees it but won't agree
.Unfortunately with that comes a higher initial cost.Well worth it IMO.
    The Correct Craft also feels much smaller and more crowded than his boat even though they are roughly the same size.
   I think there was some issues with the earlier super airs with the gauges and ballast valves,etc.,so you may want to research that alittle before making a purchase.2003 seems to be the golden year for 210s.
    Though not the exact boat you had in mind,I hope this helps a little.Good luck !

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
tachyon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tachyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 1:09am
Great, thanks for the info! I would love a newer SAN, I'll just have to see how mine goes and what the market looks like.

I wakeboard 90% of the time, a little footing in there, and a tiny bit of slalom. So I guess the wake is my main concern.

Great feedback!

05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 2:01am
Originally posted by tachyon tachyon wrote:

I wakeboard 90% of the time, So I guess the wake is my main concern.

If that's the case,definately try to hook up with someone that has one to ride behind it first,because you'll either love the wake, or you'll hate it!

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 2:11pm
My two cents. Centurions, any model, do not drive/handle well compared to a CC. Drive a 210 and you will understand. The for that model 210, the hull was the same throughout the years. However, 2003 is considered by most to be the best (seating, ballast, tower, details). BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic