NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

observers seat base.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: observers seat base.
    Posted: February-20-2008 at 12:44am
Im just shooting this idea to all of you guys. My seat base is busted all to hell. It works but some of the mounting ears are broken off and its cracked on the small side seat rest. I wonder if you could peel all the plastic off the foam and glass over it or if i should just run some screws threw it to mash the cracked areas back together and then glass over the existing plastic. The glass wouldent be thick enough to screw up the seat height but it would look and probably work alot better. Just asking all of your opinions or idea.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 3:36pm
I think you could just glass over the existing plastic base. Just need to use enough layers of glass to get a strong seat base. Probably wouldn't use screws but would use epoxy and clamp the cracked areas back together first.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 3:39pm
I dont understand what is broken. Is it the plastic frame, or the wooden base that the vinyl staples to?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 4:16pm
plastic + foam = ?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 8:50pm
Its the black plastic lower seat base that screws to the floor, the factory cooler. The side where the small seat extention is has cracked away from the square cooler part and it looks bad and moves around a little and one or two of the screw mount ears on it where it screws to the floor are broken. I know theres foam inside because I can see it in the cracks.

Good idea skibum but the area is going to be tough to clamp. What kind of epoxy would you recomend just the two part stuff that mixes as you push it out that you find at auto parts stores?
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 9:44pm
I would get something better like Loctite Hysol. I have use that on my motorcycle to glue fairings and holds great. You need to find the correct grade of Hysol for your application. Or ,go to a good auto paint shop and ask them for a really good exposy for your application. General exposy are good but if you buy the correct one for that application the bond is even better. That's my two cents.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

What kind of epoxy would you recomend just the two part stuff that mixes as you push it out that you find at auto parts stores?

I don't feel it matters what epoxy you use because I doubt it will stick to the plastic. If you glass/epoxy over it, you will want to drill a bunch of small holes so the resin will seep through to the other side forming a mechanical bond. Ether West or Mas will work. the first coat I would add some high strength filler and get it into holes you drill.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I don't feel it matters what epoxy you use because I doubt it will stick to the plastic.

I disagree a little bit on that. If you buy Hysol for ABS plastic and you prepare the surface and clean it with alcohol it bonds. I do it all time and body shop do that too.

Now, I do agree that your method is the best way that would reinforce the area. After glueing plastics I use Wes and either a piece of carbon fiber or fiberglass.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 7:16am
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I don't feel it matters what epoxy you use because I doubt it will stick to the plastic.

I disagree a little bit on that. If you buy Hysol for ABS plastic and you prepare the surface and clean it with alcohol it bonds. I do it all time and body shop do that too.

Now, I do agree that your method is the best way that would reinforce the area. After glueing plastics I use West and either a piece of carbon fiber or fiberglass.

Zack, I agree but Hysol is not a epoxy but rather a urethane. Hopefully the seatbase isn't polyethylene as there still may be a issue.
Anthony, Look for some Hysol as it is designed for the plastic. A industrial supply will have it. It is a Loctite product. You will need the applicator gun for it. Zack's method is very sound. The Hysol will act as a "conversion" from the plastic to the epoxy. The epoxy will stick to the Hysol. I would still drill the holes to give the Hysol that mechanical bond too.

Mcmaster

Put in part # 6430A28 in the search. You what the U-09FL plastic bonder. A good body shop supply will have it as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 12:48pm
Pete, you are almost right but Hysol is product line from Loctite. They have urethane adhesive, polyurethane adhesive, resin, and epoxy. I have used the 608 and the E-20HP for plastic. Searching the Loctite website or contacting them would tell you what you need. That's what I did. Mcmaster have the cheaper application gun.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 12:23am
Cool thanks guys. That gives me some good ideas when i get the boat out of storage. Ill do this project over a week then re install it on the weekend when I head back to the lake.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic