NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

glass fiber sections fo stringers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: glass fiber sections fo stringers
    Posted: December-17-2007 at 9:58am
Hi
I am changing the stringers on my 78 SN do the members think it is possible
To use extruded glass fiber sections in stead of wood say 200x60x8mm scribed to
The bottom of the hull and webs added all bonded back to the hull as you would
With wood using epoxy and matting, The sections come in 6m lengths and
would be a one time fix. Cost is not too bad @ $230 per length.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 12:10pm
Roger,
you may want to check into composites, of course you have to use your own judgement, it sounds like a competant repair but... you may have to be the first to try, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a hard wood and again i stress...once you make a repair such as the one your doing you have a tendency to take care of the boat as it should be which means you dont leave it uncovered and filled with water for weeks at a time
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 12:51pm
Rodger, The 8mm double vertical cross section of the rectangular tubing you are planning to use sounds strong but I feel you need to do some research. The bending moment of the section moduli is what I would be concerned about. Not knowing the exact construction or the cross section of the new fiberglass stringers that CC is using to use as a example, the extrusions are a difficult call. The other variable is although the hull without stringers is strong, it's hard to say how much support it relies on from the stringers. The fiberglass extrusions are typically made with a very short strand of glass. The compression strength is great but the tensile is low and certainly not even close to a wood stringer. If you decide to go this route, I would wrap up the sides of the extrusions with mat and epoxy you are using to bond them to the hull. This will certainly add strength to the bending moment. I'm inclined to agree with Eric and go with the wood again unless you get lots of help in the structural engineering area.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2007 at 1:41pm
I would go for it, however I would certainly do my homework on the strength of the extrusion. Bonding is of course also going to be key. All the Fiberglass pultrusions I have worked with (pultrusions would be ideal for this use imho, but an extruded product with suitable properties and good bonding practices should work) would need to be mechanically roughed and then solvent washed up before expecting a reasonable bond.

Most people just end up going back with wood, nothing wrong with that but its not for me. I would in your boat use 1.5 coosa board for the stringers, would run you about 500 for a 4x8 sheet of 1.5 inch bluewater 26 (if you can get it over there).
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2007 at 6:01pm
Hi every one
Thanks so much for all the feed back on Glass fiber for stringers, the section I thought of
is a Pultrusion so has a good strength, the problem is its only a C section and to fit the hull, would cut off one flange and as its only 8mm thick would need 2 per main stringer + webs, have looked at the Coosa board which looks great and e mailed to see if they have
a UK distributor as a solid beam of around 38mm would work I think, I have to say the old wood stringers are wet and black/rotting but still in one piece and would have run ok
for 1 or 2 years not bad for 30 years of UK weather.
For bonding it all back thinking of using the west systems of Epoxy Resin, have taken a
list off the site on what to use, but not sure if the resin is the same here as its called 105 in
the UK not 635 so mail west UK to see if I have the right type for Glass fiber or Wood.
Thanks again for all the help on the site which keeps all the old boats running ( some may be better now then when new)

Many thanks
Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2007 at 8:52pm
Rodger, I'm not sure where the 635 number came from as the 105 is Wests base resin here in the states too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic