Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 Troubles

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 Troubles
    Posted: December-07-2007 at 1:51am
I have a 98 Nautique GT-40 EFI. And when I let it sit in the water and rock in the waves. I have a hard time restarting it, it turns over lots before it starts. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 11:22am
shouldn't make a difference unless your low on fuel.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 6:34pm
It sounds like it's waiting on gas. I would take a look at the fuel pump. Check the wiring connections and make sure it is operating correctly.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 6:55pm
are you pumping the throttle before you try starting it when it cranks a lot before starting? if so then your flooding the motor and that's why it is hard to start.

Does your motor have the pro-tec ignition?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

are you pumping the throttle before you try starting it when it cranks a lot before starting? if so then your flooding the motor and that's why it is hard to start.

Does your motor have the pro-tec ignition?

He's got the GT40 multiport motor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2007 at 9:05pm
If the boat is on the lift it starts every time. Only when sitting in the water and rocking in the waves. I have a new LPP. Should I try the high pressure pump.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2007 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by 1998Nautique 1998Nautique wrote:

If the boat is on the lift it starts every time.

Is the boat ever warmed up when you start it on the lift? The lift can't really make much difference that I can think of. Maybe you're associating another condition with the lift?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2007 at 11:16pm
i betting it's an issue with the choke and it only happens when it hot. Let is sit in the water rocking for an hour or so and I bet it fires right up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 1:05am
It is an EFI.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 1:06am
Only when the boat rocks in the waves i have trouble.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 11:05am

It is an EFI.

still has a choke circuit not like the carb set up but still functions in the same matter, so clean the carbon out of it and make sure the solenoids are working correctly.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 11:08am

Only when the boat rocks in the waves i have trouble.

so is the motor hot or cold when this occurs?

Rocking the boat makes no difference unless your low on gas or have a bad pick-up in the tank so that it sucks air instead of gas that is the only possible cause unless you have loose parts on the motor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 11:15am
Where is the pick up in the tank? Seems like it takes a while to get fuel to the motor. But if I have my boat on the lift out of the water, instead of ties to a buoy. It will start all the time right away as I lower the lift into the water. If I have it tied to the buoy it takes a whilel to start.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 11:57am
so this occurs when the motor is cold? and doesn't happen when hot?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 12:38pm
Seems that it starts fine in the boat lift, there is an easy solution to the problem.

Dont start it on the lake!!!!!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 12:42pm
what are the angles of the boat when in the lift and in the water?
"the things you own will start to own you"
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 1:24pm
I am just wondering if there is any way that the fuel is somehow being leaked back through the low pressure pump into the tank from wave action. It is not going to start if the FCC is not full of fuel.

Brad
2001 SAN
"Python Powered"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 1:37pm
The FCC or "vapor canister" should not be able to "siphon fuel back to the tank".Most are set up with a float and needle valve to allow fuel in only.
You do have an "Anti- Siphon" valve at the tank.Has this been checked?Even if the fuel line was empty, the motor or fuel system would have a supply of fuel from the FCC.
At least enough to crank,there should be a drain at the bottom of the FCC have you checked to see if it is full??????    

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 9:58pm
The engine cranks about 6 times before it will start in the water. Seem like it is Siphoning out as it rocks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic