Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just a couple random questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just a couple random questions
    Posted: December-06-2007 at 3:36pm
Looking at the old brochures on the site and was wondering a few things.

1) When was the last Mustang made? Was it 1983? It looks like they disappear from the catalogs after that.

2) How about the Tiques? Looks like they disappear after maybe '84 but it's not as evident because it looks like they stopped listing "all models" in the brochures in '85 and focused mostly on the Ski Nautiques?

3) Did the American Skier ever have a 6 cylinder option?

I'm asking because it looks like in the 1977 catalog (I think - should have written it down) it is pictured with just one exhaust. I didn't think anyone started with those bigger single exhaust outlets (even for V8's) until much later (Man, I don't like those things...a lot!). Or maybe it's just the picture and the spray is covering the 2nd exhaust (but I don't think so).
Inboards Rule!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 4:02pm
1. yes, that sounds right. I dont think CC made very many in the '80s.

2. I dont think we have the full '85 brochure in the ref section- we just have the literature on the SN. Id be surprised if CC made the Tique after '84. Like the Mustang, I dont think they made very many in the 80's.

3. I dont think so. I dont recall there being any 6 Cyl options on any CC after ~1970. I think the 2nd exhaust outlet is hidden by the spray.

CC went to the single exhaust starting in '89. Only a few boats since then have had duals, including some '89 454 boats, and the Python (502ci) powered boats from 99-01. Ive seen one or 2 boats that have had the duals installed by a dealer or the factory, and I know of one that has been custom retrofitted.

64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 4:19pm
Was that yours? I do remember seeing a post with an "upgrade" to duals project. Very nice! That's the "right-thing" to do (in my opinion)!

I always loved the Tiques and the Mustangs.

All of 'em are cool, but they were my faovorite 2 models I think.
I can never decide which glass I like better.

One thing I noticed that I don't think I knew before was that the windshields kind of went back and forth from the one piece ones to the more layed back ones with four glass pieces and then back to the single again later.

I had thought Tiques and Mustangs (and even SN's I guess) went from the singles to the four piece ones and that was that, but they apparently didn't; they went back to a single piece. I guess I was mistakenly thinking some of the newest ones were older ones.

Interesting.
Inboards Rule!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 4:33pm
I think the chronology went something like this:

16 foot mustang 66 to 75
17 foot mustang 75 (both varieties that year) to 79

The Tique was introduced (replacing the 16 ft skier) in 76 when the mustang went to 17' and the 16' version of the Tique continued till 81.

In 82 with the intro of the 2001, I believe the old Nautique molds became the Tique and the Tique grew from 16 to 17. The 17' Tique was around 82 to 84.

When the Tique grew to 17' they took their final stab at a 16' boat and reintroduced the Mustang as a 16 footer, presumably the old Tique hull. It only lasted 82 to 83, the apparent end of the 16 ft inboard.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I think the chronology went something like this:

16 foot mustang 66 to 75
17 foot mustang 75 (both varieties that year) to 79

The Tique was introduced (replacing the 16 ft skier) in 76 when the mustang went to 17' and the 16' version of the Tique continued till 81.

In 82 with the intro of the 2001, I believe the old Nautique molds became the Tique and the Tique grew from 16 to 17. The 17' Tique was around 82 to 84.

When the Tique grew to 17' they took their final stab at a 16' boat and reintroduced the Mustang as a 16 footer, presumably the old Tique hull. It only lasted 82 to 83, the apparent end of the 16 ft inboard.

You have the chronology mostly right, but there was even more hull sharing than you mentioned. All 16' boats from ~63-70 used the 16'1" hull (Am Skier, Skylark, Mustang). In '71, a new 16'5" hull was introduced, which was used on the Mustang (and later Mustang 16), the Skier, the Ski Tique, and finally the Mustang again in the 80's. The Tique graduated from the 16'5" hull to the 17'9" (former Ski Nautique hull) when the 2001 was introduced in '82. The Mustang 17 and American Skier shared the same hull in the mid-late 70's as well.

64, that is my '90 pictured above. I did the conversion because I liked the look and for the performance gain. The increase in sound was an inevitable byproduct.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

CC went to the single exhaust starting in '89. Only a few boats since then have had duals, including some '89 454 boats, and the Python (502ci) powered boats from 99-01.

Tim CC offered the 502 with dual exhaust for 99 and 00. For 01 and 02 CC offered the 496 with dual exhaust. The 502 was rated at 430-435HP dependind on what you read. The brochure says 430HP the owners manual says 435HP. The 496 was rated at 425HP. Both engines had a torque rating of 500+ ft/lbs.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 12:13am
Originally posted by 64X55 64X55 wrote:

Looking at the old brochures on the site and was wondering a few things.

3) Did the American Skier ever have a 6 cylinder option?

Wayyyyy back in the mid 60's there were some inline sixes used... my 64 'skier has one.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 2:16am
Yea but only you and Pete can remember back that far
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

At least Steve and I post our birth dates in our profiles!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Pete,
Thats so I can remember when it is myself!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 7:37pm
I knew this would be the place to ask!

TRBenji -Those exhaust look sweet! They look RIGHT!

62wood - The 64 looks like it would be easy to work on with that in line 6. Lot's of elbow room! Mercruiser once had some in line 6 stern drives (1960's) that had pretty decent power.

Looks like it's pick on Pete day again! Poor guy!

Pete - I know you're not that old, because in less than 10 yrs. I'll be that old...

...and I'm still young!
Inboards Rule!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ok you shamed me into it,but I still stand by my statement.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic