Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Owner

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Puck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Owner
    Posted: November-04-2007 at 12:56pm
We just bought (too late now) a 1974 Southwind 20 from a little old lady in docksiders.
The boat was in the water under canopy 33 summers. Covered in winters. Interior looks like new. Her kids learned to ski behind it. Then it became evening outings on Lake Minnetonka. It ran just great in demo. The last 5 summers probably had no more that 10-15 hours per year everage. It was serviced every fall by the marina that stored it. Who knows?
Just soda ashed paint off of hull. Hull looks good. Compression test shows (1) 95, (2) 92, (3) 100, (4) 95, (5)-(8) all 100. We're going to pull the motor (Ford 351A) and take it to the engine repair experts. Any help in what to watch out for would be appreciated.
Puck
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 1:09pm
your wallet, make sure they overhaul alot of marine engines for proper clearances, lets face it we all can rebuild motors, do they get done right is the question.
ask alot of questions and see if he will supply you with a list of past customers, if he shy's away then i would look for a different engine guy, stay away from billy bobs garage rebuilder, yes they are cheaper but for a reason. welcome by the way.
Post what area you are in and one of these guys may have a good motor contact
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 1:11pm
It's always great to add to the CC family. Welcome. Sounds like you have made a very good find with the Southwind. My only concern would be the integrity of the stringers. Since you are pulling the engine, it would be a good time to check for any rot. The amount of use the boat has seen over the years is not as influential to rot as simply age.
Did you do a leak down on the engine as well? Are you going for a full rebuild or just the top end?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

stay away from billy bobs garage

Eric, Careful!! I got my butt chewed out one day making a comment like that. It was by you know who that has the same first name!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Puck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 1:36pm
Thanks for help. Will check on stringers when the motor's out. Don't know about leak down. Was done by my local marina. I'll check it out.
Looking at Hennen Engine, St. Boni, MN. They do a lot of marine engines. They're also big in forklifts. Have you ever skied behind a forklift?
Puck
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 1:36pm
Billy sutton's ba ba ba boat we pair, i meant Eric bobs boat repair
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 1:46pm
Things must be slow for you to be slammin' Billy Bob and his gang of monkeys....
We Ain't SLOW, We Ain't FAST......
......WE ARE HALF FAST.....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Puck Puck wrote:

Thanks for help. Will check on stringers when the motor's out. Don't know about leak down. Was done by my local marina. I'll check it out.
Looking at Hennen Engine, St. Boni, MN. They do a lot of marine engines. They're also big in forklifts. Have you ever skied behind a forklift?
Puck

Just trying to save you some dollars which is one of Eric's concerns as well. Do you know how many hours are on the engine? The Fords of that era have a tendency to have problems in the top end so maybe that's all that is needed.

I've found the best performance from skiing with the forklift is with about 500 pounds removed from the counter weight. The Hysters with the GM engines will outrun the Toyota's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 1:58pm
ridicule is a form of flattery, Whats up BD, I got some Walleye in which i will be beer battering later, of course you so boys dont know what walleye is, it is equal to craw dads up here in the north, it is a fresh water fish that melts in your mouth, I had Perch last night in the deep fryer and i saved the walleye for today
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 2:01pm
the hysters are using Vortechs nowadays....thats why they are fast
Puck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 3:37pm

hope your top engine guess is correct . we think so. hr. meter shows 160. so its dead or turned over. have a pulsifer hampton lobster boat we hauled to Mn. from maine if the fork
lift fails we'll pull the 23 hp yanmar diesel
and save fuel$. again thanks puck.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 5:37pm

It ran just great in demo. Compression test shows (1) 95, (2) 92, (3) 100, (4) 95, (5)-(8) all 100. We're going to pull the motor (Ford 351A) and take it to the engine repair experts.

If the boat ran good and the the compression test results were fine (all within 10%), then why are you pulling the motor? Its a 351w, by the way.

Welcome to the site.
Puck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 5:57pm

good question. I was told numbers should be around 120-130. Is that to much to ask for a 1974? The w may be from the waukesha on the engine nameplate. puck
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 9:51pm
eric; Made my mouth water talkin' about the walleye...none better any where. Those small perch fillets are a close second. Lake Erie is gooooood!

Welcome to the site Puck. Lotsa info here.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 11:08am

good question. I was told numbers should be around 120-130. Is that to much to ask for a 1974? The w may be from the waukesha on the engine nameplate. puck

Are you checking it with the throttle open or closed ?

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Puck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 12:39pm

Mike   I'm off to the marina to find out. Thanks to you and the rest of you guys for good info. I havent worked on an ic engine since I put one in a 40 ford when I was in school. Sort of like learning to read all over. puck.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 12:53pm
Don't forget to ask if they did a leak down too. With the low hours on that engine and the within 10% compression I think we are wondering if the marina is steering you in the proper direction! I think I would start it up and rev it up to pour some Seafoam, Marvel Mystery or ATF down it and see what happens.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 1:14pm

The numbers might vary depending on the particular gauge and the method they used. With very little variation, Id tend to think the motor was OK.

The W is for Windsor- the Ford engine family that the 351 is in.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 3:10pm
in sitations like this, I have a scope that you insert through the spark plug hole, its a series of mirrors and an eye piece with a fiber optic light, you can accurately inspect the walls for what type of damage or wear you might see. you can look at piston scuff to see if engine had been overheated at one time, you also can look a the ridge at the top of the walls to see if a rebuild is justifiable. if you see piston scuff it is usually a sign of the squirts expanding and scuffing the walls, also this is a sign that the rings may be galled into the pistons and not making contact with the walls lowering your comp ratio.
The ridge at the top if excessive is a sign of wear or not enough oil changes over thew years. what will warrant a rebuild of course is low compression, excessive blow by, poor fuel economy, lack of power, blue smoke, white smoke and possibly black smoke.
Accurately troubleshooting the engine is key here to what type of rebuild you may need. If possible troubleshoot it yourself because of all the variables including...was the engine at op temp when performing the comp test, what is the correct spec for this engine, did they pour oil in the engine to try to raise the comp ratio to determine if it is rings or possibly the valves are carboned up and so on. Its easy to do a comp test your self if you understand how to do it and what to look for. read the directions carefully because it is not a matter of plugging in the tester and cranking over the engine. Its very easy to say you have low compression to warrant a rebuild but at this point i would ask why is it doing what its doing and the person who did the test should have a decissive answer on why the engine is doing what it is doing
Eric
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 3:22pm
J-Bear, I took some peanut oil, great lakes Dortmunder, some paprika, some garlic, cut up some big Vidallia onions and cooked some fish yesterday.....beer batter, it was to die for, the peanut oil is the way to go, it keeps the fish from getting oil soaked. some of these guys on the site probably never had Walleye or Lake Erie Perch, It is a fish compared to nothing else that comes out of the water, if you've ever had it i need to say no more
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 4:01pm
I'm with ya Eric, fryed up about 5 lbs of perch last night for supper from some or our catch this fall. Sat, would have been a great day for catching more, but the boat is already winterized gotta love those perch.
Puck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 4:39pm
Went to the marina. Found the mechanic and he agrees we should do further compression testing especially since boat was run only twice this summer. Boat is now stored indoors on concrete floor for hull dryout after soda ash blast. Next work will be "winter work" starting Dec. after frozen lake shuts outdoor stuff down.
The letter I thought was an "A" was a 351-"4". Nameplate says Waukesha Motor Co. Clinton IA.
Hr meter says 0163.3 so engine hours will remain a mystery.
Re: walleye - nothing beats MN walleye caught in the ice cold winter water except it's tough to troll when the ice is 2'-3' thick. I'll try the peanut oil. Thanks.
We'll talk again after Dec. testing.
Puck
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 4:44pm

The letter I thought was an "A" was a 351-"4". Nameplate says Waukesha Motor Co. Clinton IA.

Makes sense- the 4 should indicate that its a 4-barrel motor. Waukesha became PCM, I believe, which is the marinization company that Correct Craft still uses.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 12:13am
eric: You are killin' me. No one down here had heard of Walleye. I bet the guy with 2-Nautiques (HI Matt) has a heck of a time with that Cuddy on the big Lake. Wow would I like a fall trip on that boat!

BTW Matt...was on your river years ago ('78-'79?) for the Barefoot Nationals.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 1:00am
Eric we still get walleye and perch up here. Lots of guys at work fish your waters and bring them in for lunch. We also have venison days at work to. Lots of hunters and fishermen, menu depends on what season it is.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 1:12am
Sounds good to me. Jim you glad about the Ford settlement?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 1:20am
Jbear not sure yet, the high lites sound good. It's the low lites that you don't get to see until after the contract is voted on. All and all the plant that I work at was given a new product so I am happy with that idea. I think it will pass with out much of a problem. We all have to keep in mind times are tough and do what we can to help out.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 1:22am
Gotta keep workin' to pay for gas. At least you have a good trade. Yeah..ours always sounded good up front...had to watch the fine print. So your plant is on the "keeper" list? Good'
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 1:26am
Yeah we got spared for a fe more years, we should not have to start worring again until next contract talks. I think a lot of people here at the plant are starting to realize they need to do the best job they can and stop missing work. I think the big three will be ok, in the end though.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 2:39am
You guys are going thru a very tough "shaking out" period right now. I hope you are ok. Remember once steel was king..you would never have thought back in the 60's that the steel industry in this country would die.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic