NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat lift remote control

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat lift remote control
    Posted: October-29-2007 at 12:51pm
Has anyone ever installed a remote control for a boat lift? I ran across Gem remotes, a company that makes them. It can be set up to auto stop. They look pretty heavy duty. It sure would be nice to only hit one button once!
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 1:53pm
It would just be nice to have a button. Because, if you have a button, chances are there is a motor involved.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 1:56pm
Em, If you are running the lift on 12 volts DC then this reciever and it's 1 channel transmitter will work. You will need a means of handling the high amp switching of the lift motor unless it has a inhibit function built in. I used this set up on a remote control ski jump sprinkling system I built for our ski club. Works great except for the kids dropping the remote in the lake!!

Linear remote

It was the only remote reciever that I could find that ran on 12 Volt. The other item I put in the control was a 12 volt DC speed control. It regulates the voltage (and the amount of water sprays) at a consistent level no matter what the level of the battery is at (down to 10 volt)

A 120 watt solar panel is next because none of the kids remember to charge the battery when it gets low!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 2:03pm
Wish I had the electrical knowledge needed to know if I could make it work! I have been searching the net. Thanks for the reply.

e
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

Wish I had the electrical knowledge needed to know if I could make it work! I have been searching the net. Thanks for the reply.

e

What's the lift you are using? We can help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 3:31pm
Thanks! I am using an Ace boat lift. It is a plate mount design. The motor is a 3/4 or 1hp at the most. 110v. Like this:

It will be under cover, and in a fresh water environment. You guys are too kind!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 7:07am
Em, This may get complicated and someone with a electrical background would be nessasary. A garage door remote control would be the easy way to go if the HP of the Ace lift is low enough that the control could handle the amps. I recently purchased two garage door openers off ebay for a boat house door project so that route may be a option. I however what you to do some thinking if this project would be worth the effort. You already have a remote control switch for up and down. Do you have it mounted on the lift in a convenient spot when lifting and lowering your boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 10:21am
I have a toggle type switch (up,off,down). It is mounted right next to the boat. I have never had a problem with the system, except a few times when start to pull out(and two or three more kids jump in) and the lift isn't down far enough!

anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 11:06am
Couple options:
- EE option: I bet this can be done using a remote gate opener unit (~$30) and a selenoid/relay. It would be a a cool project to do. Sorry, I am an Electrical Engineer, aka GEEK!
- Cheap option: If the voltage thru the switch can be matched to a garage opener motor then is easier to pick up a used garage door opener from e-bay and remove the motor. Use the motor wires as your switch. Voltage specifications must be checked for compatability. Keep a manual overwrite or kill switch close to the dock, in case the system fail. A push kill switch would work really neat. Maybe you need two top and bottom. Connect those to the opener switch limits. The garage opener should have those magnet limitor for it to work.
- Expensive: Call a gate opener company and see if one of their system can be adapted.

These are my 2 cents,
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 3:16pm
www.smarthome.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic