NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pet Cock Valves For Engine Block

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 2:19pm
pet·cock· (pet′käk′)

noun

a small faucet or valve used in draining unwanted or excess water or air from pipes, radiators, boilers, etc.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 2:42pm
Tim and I have discussed this prior but I guess the answer is a SBC only has the (2) drain plugs, and in my case one is occupied by the knock sensor while the other being a nipple for the shower HW supply. I typically have only removed the HW supply hose at the nipple to drain and not messed with the knock sensor assuming that most or all of the water will exit through just one side. This of course would be in addition to all of the other drain points such as the manifolds, heater hoses, water pump, etc.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Tim and I have discussed this prior but I guess the answer is a SBC only has the (2) drain plugs, and in my case one is occupied by the knock sensor while the other being a nipple for the shower HW supply. I typically have only removed the HW supply hose at the nipple to drain and not messed with the knock sensor assuming that most or all of the water will exit through just one side. This of course would be in addition to all of the other drain points such as the manifolds, heater hoses, water pump, etc.

I just did my buddy's SBC Malibu a couple weeks ago and quite a bit of water came out of the knock sensor side after draining the other side.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 2:58pm
Pet.....to stroke    verb
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by 79Tique 79Tique wrote:

Tim,

I sent you an email this morning. I'm gonna take the pics of the Commander in my 79 Tique today. I'll send them to you this afternoon. I'll also try to post them to this thread but have not yet learned how. I guess it's as good as any to learn as it's cold and dark around here right now.

Gabe sent me the pics of his 302 Commander to post. Anything look familiar, Pete? Obviously the manifolds are different, but the RWP bracket and t'stat housing should tell the rest of the tale.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 7:39pm
Tim, Interesting! The biggest difference is the thermostat housing and the big hose from it to the circ pump. Mine has the cast "J" pipe just like the newer PCM's. My valve covers even seem to be different. Slightly shorter?

So, you want me to remove the bolt holding the PCM tag on and chance a manifold leak so I can send it to you but first I would need to send the tag out for radioactive carbon dating to prove it's original year. Wow, you sure are demanding today!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Wow, you sure are demanding today!!

That's what happens when you're not getting enough pole, you get cranky.

Pete's engine has a wedge plate.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 11:02am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

So, you want me to remove the bolt holding the PCM tag on and chance a manifold leak so I can send it to you but first I would need to send the tag out for radioactive carbon dating to prove it's original year. Wow, you sure are demanding today!!

Dont worry Pete, my tag wasnt bolted into a coolant passage or anything. I think its safe to remove

HW, good news- the new pole will be here Mon. Any word from that guy with the ski?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 11:21am
hi all, sorry to hijack, but would there be any performance differences between a "piramid" manifold such as PCM's and a log style like Commander's???
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 11:52am
I'll let ya know next week, I am just getting into my time of the year where instead of skiing I go through some trial semi scientific boat tests. Tonight I am going to find out how much/if any speed difference is made by removing the fins on my 83, over the next week I also hope to get with and without mufflers, and pcm manifolds vs commander style manifolds. I am not running a stock motor but I should end up with some usuable info.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 12:04pm
Are you removing ALL 3 of the fins? Sounds dangerous!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 1:19pm
Have removed, the main danger comes from the 18 holes that left in the bottom of the boat. I am hoping my extra heavy duty aluminum tape over job holds up. I am not expecting it to be dangerous other than that, I won't be attempting any power turns however.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 6:48pm
you could try messing around with a home made rudder, perhaps a mimmic to the new mastercraft's.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

you could try messing around with a home made rudder, perhaps a mimmic to the new mastercraft's.

For what purpose?

Joe, Ill be interested to see if the fins actually do hurt the top end much. Dont be afraid of the power turns, they should be much easier with the fins removed! Some of the new wake boats are actually being built without fins now (not sure about CC, but some MC's).
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 7:31pm
the MCs with no fins have an upgraded rudder with extra surface towards the prop.

that's why I suggested trying to mimmic that rudder and testing it in a CC.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 10:29pm
Luchog: Got the new place opened up yet?

Got pics?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic