Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’54 Atom Skier -First Posting

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Pelican View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’54 Atom Skier -First Posting
    Posted: October-27-2007 at 10:57pm
I believe I found my boat for sale on this site or oldboat.com back in February of this year. I fell in love with old wooden boats 17 years ago while visiting Lake Winnipesaukee NH - a family I was visiting had a collection of mostly Chris Crafts. All the positive discussion on this site made me look more closely at Correct Craft then Chris Crafts. When we decided to move to a lake front home ourselves in North Western NJ I went looking for an old boat before we even closed on the house. My wife's first words when we took it for a test ride in April were "it's too small." I gave the owner a deposit on the spot. I wasn't buying it for her, it's for me! It’s a good thing we closed on the house in June. I use it primarily to run up and down the lake bar hopping or taking my 7 year old twin daughter swimming. Our lake is 8 mile long with a few good places to eat. The boat has a 6 cylinder early 60's Ford Fairlane engine in it and was completely restored. All the plywood is new. It runs nice, has a great sound (I have a couple of loud motorcycles too) and is a 3/4 ton of fun. I named it "About Fun" and it sits in the water on dock whips next to its granddaughter, our 2005 Ski Nautique 226Ltd that we found brand new as a dealer left-over with only 10hrs on it. I named that one Mr. Krabs (it’s white with red trim). The wife says the new boat is big enough. I’ll be back. Thanks for reading.

Pelican from Greenwood Lake, NJ
'54 Atom
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2007 at 11:12pm
Pelican, Please go back into your post and edit it. If you use the "enter" key between all the pictures, it will stack them from top to bottom instead of side to side. It will make your post easy to read. Thanks, I'd like to talk more. Welcome.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2007 at 11:34pm
Great! Now I can (I know others will too) read the text in the post without loosing my spot!!

Did you buy the Atom like this or did you or someone do the work on it? With the large engine in it it will probably go pretty good! My Atom with the 60 HP 4 in it will do about 37 or 38.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Pelican View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2007 at 11:41pm
I can't take much credit, except for my taste. The boat was restored by David Tanis from Warwick NY - all I've done since is fix a small oil leak and change a few loose screws. I am replacing the aluminum stern mast light with a wooden one I found.
'54 Atom
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2007 at 11:59pm
Christopher.In the past 10 years there has been a big increase in the number of people who work on wood boats. Some are real good and have tons of talent but most of the ones who have recently started out haven't proven themselves yet. I think it's due to wood boats becoming a popular item to have again. What condition was it in when you got it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 12:40am
Welcome Pelican,

Great looking boat! Looking forward to hearing more from you about her.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 1:06am
preeeeeety!!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 2:18am
Welcome Chris. You sure have great taste in boats. Love the old wood one.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 12:55pm

Pelican, beautiful boat. Be sure to keep up with the varnishing. It makes it a lot easier to keep the boat looking nice if you don't go too long between recoats.
                                farmer
Pelican View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Christopher.In the past 10 years there has been a big increase in the number of people who work on wood boats. Some are real good and have tons of talent but most of the ones who have recently started out haven't proven themselves yet. I think it's due to wood boats becoming a popular item to have again. What condition was it in when you got it?

As I said originally, I get no credit for the restoration - although as recommended - I'll be maintaining her over the winter, including re-varnishing. We go for 1-2 rides a week. She starts on the second crank every time.
I ordered an electrified 24" mahogany stern mast with an electrified chrome plated socket I plan on changing out to replace the hard wired and pitted aluminum mast that's on the boat now. Does anyone know what type of mast came on this boat originally? The speedometer is not working, but the temp & oil pressure gauges seem to function, so I want to investigate the problem with the speedo. I’m going to post another topic on gauges & the mast asking for some help.
It took me 17 years to realize my dream of living on a lake and being within an hour of my job, so although I bought the old boat when they’re in vogue again, I’ve been dreaming about it for 17 years. For the $8,500 I paid including the trailer, all I’m out is the learning experience that is probably worth 3x what I paid. The next big project is to build a shop to work on a similar vintage larger wooden inboard I’ll be able to take personal credit for. We’ve retained an architect and hope to get going on the shop in the spring. Meanwhile, living 26’ away from an 8mile long and 1mile wide lake in a house with a 40’ x 40’ floating “T” dock setup and no old boat of my own was out of the question, so I bought a completely restored one.

'54 Atom
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Pelican Pelican wrote:

I ordered an electrified 24" mahogany stern mast with an electrified chrome plated socket I plan on changing out to replace the hard wired and pitted aluminum mast that's on the boat now. Does anyone know what type of mast came on this boat originally? The speedometer is not working, but the temp & oil pressure gauges seem to function, so I want to investigate the problem with the speedo.
For the $8,500 I paid including the trailer, all I’m out is the learning experience that is probably worth 3x what I paid.

Chris, The original stern light would have been a aluminum base, pole and head with a small glass globe. The wood that you have ordered may not be appropriate and at 24" will be too tall.

The speedo isn't working because what you are looking at is a tachometer. It is a mechanical so it is cable driven off the engine.

Don't get your hopes up as far as the worth of the boat. Correct Crafts, at this point, do not bring the big dollars of the more unusual wood boats.

Yes,do plan on spending some time with the brush and the varnish. I always try to get a couple of coats on my woods every couple of years.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 5:02pm
Welcome to the site. Really nice looking boat. I find it interesting that the engine has adjustable motor mounts. Is the carb a Carter RBS?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I find it interesting that the engine has adjustable motor mounts.

Bruce, The engine may be a year or 2 newer than yours and adjustable mounts where becoming popular. If you look in the back of your manual in the parts section, I think you will find several different mount options. These are simply add ons to the existing rigid feet.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 1:26pm
Love the contrast between the two boats in the last photo. If you just saw the atom, you'd say "its a ski boat" If you just saw the 2005 you'd say "its a ski boat". 50 years can make quite a difference can't it?
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 2:24pm
Larry, i was just about to say the same thing, that last pic is great.Granted the atom's a small boat in comparison to nearly any inboard but, it's amazing how teeny the atom looks next to that tank.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 3:07pm
The atom makes the 05 look like a land barge in my opinion. But both boats are very nice.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 6:53pm
Congrats on the Atom. The 226 is sharp as well, and the last pic is great. Welcome to the site.

Rob
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 7:04pm
What engine is on that boat? It looks to me as a Ford 188 or 221?
Pelican View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 10:37pm
It's got a 170cu 6 cyl in it.

Thanks for all the compliments. I love that little boat too. I took that pic yesterday - wind was blowing hard and I'd taken her out for her 2nd run up and down the lake last week and left her unciovered to dry better. It hit 37 degrees last night - I'll be putting her away for winter soon.

As to the barge, tank, whatever, it's a pretty solid craft, plenty of room with 6 adults and six - eight kids. The beam is 8', the Atom is barely 4'. On the '05 I don't ever have to yell - "don't stand on that." It's got a V drive GM modified marine engine 5.7 liters, decent on gas, great warantee and dealer service (my dealer is 80 miles away and comes to me if I have a problem). I don't think anyone makes a better skiboat today.

I really like the tank, but I truly love the Atom.
'54 Atom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic