Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where does the tach hook to

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where does the tach hook to
    Posted: October-23-2007 at 6:23pm
on a 70 separator? Pete put up a wiring diagram but I can hardly read it and it seems to be gone now. Thanks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 7:56pm
geno, Like this one?? It would be a gray wire.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRDon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 1:09am
always typical to see the tach signal derived from the ground on the coil.
85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 1:07pm
Thanks so much!
1969cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1969cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 5:05pm
Geno
Are you hooking up a new tach or your original 1970 tach? My 1969 Mustang with my original tach hooks to the positive terminal of the coil.
Fred
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by 1969cc 1969cc wrote:

Geno
Are you hooking up a new tach or your original 1970 tach? My 1969 Mustang with my original tach hooks to the positive terminal of the coil.
Fred

Thats interesting. I thought all coils had +12V (or a little less if using the ballast resistor) on the + terminal. The - terminal connects to the distributor (ign module/points) and will read between 0V and 12V, depending on the position of the dist, creating a pulsed signal to drive the tach. How would a tach get a signal from the + terminal?
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 5:22pm
Hooking my original tach up to see if it works. The coil is a Mallory that my stepdad put in and he may not have hooked the tach back up.
1969cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1969cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 5:38pm
TR
My original tach has a yellow send wire. When I hook up my o'scope on the + terminal of the coil the pulse is present. I recently tried to hookup a newer style tach with a gray send wire to the + on the coil and it did not work. I had to hook it up to the - terminal of the coil to get it to work.
Fred
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by 1969cc 1969cc wrote:

TR
My original tach has a yellow send wire. When I hook up my o'scope on the + terminal of the coil the pulse is present. I recently tried to hookup a newer style tach with a gray send wire to the + on the coil and it did not work. I had to hook it up to the - terminal of the coil to get it to work.
Fred

Interesting! I wonder how the old tach pulls the signal off the + side.
1969cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1969cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 6:08pm
TR

http://www.tachman.com/fordhkp.htm

Check out the above link for Faria tachs. My hookup is similar to this. The tach is hooked up in series.

Fred
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic