Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bryan89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel
    Posted: September-16-2007 at 12:59am
I have a quick question about the type of fuel I should be running in my '89 SN. Currently I use 89 octane. Tonight I read on the engine that I should be using only leaded 89 octane and that I should using a lead substitute if using unleaded fuel. I am sure this is an elementary question but I just want to make sure that the fuel I am using is ok and not damaging my engine.

This has been my first season with an inboard. It has been a blast! I have learned to ski the slalom course, trick ski and my wife learned to slalom. We love our CC thanks for all the help.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 10:59am
Bryan, There are lots of opinions out there! You'll need to do some reading and make up your own mind. Here are some threads:
search results

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 1:27pm
i run the highest test that i can find...id stay away from leaded imo..everyones got a different opinion
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by ryanandrews ryanandrews wrote:

id stay away from leaded imo..

Ryan, Where are you finding leaded gas? Are you thinking about something else?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 8:27pm
8122- read the post wrong a lil.....i think in ohio lead gas was outlawed in the late 70's due to environmental issues..all pump gas here is unleaded unless your adding an additive...
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 9:38pm

i run the highest test that i can find...id stay away from leaded imo..everyones got a different opinion

Using an octane rating above what your engine really needs is a waste of money. It will cost you horse power and give you worse fuel economy. If you've done something to bump up the compression and/or advanced the timing kind of far you will benefit from high octane fuel. Otherwise, 89 octane should be just fine.
Lead is a whole different story. A lead additive won't hurt anything except the environment. As long as your motor has hardened valve seats it shouldn't be needed and would most likely be a waste of money. I thought every motor made after 1978 had hardened valve seats. I don't know if that's true for boat motors though.
Anyone else know?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 10:01pm
I haven't seen lead additive, what I use is a lead substitute. It doesn't contain lead and claims to be safe for the environment. I also know that my boat appreciates it, and the PO said to use it.

It does seem odd that an '88 would be set up for the leaded gas, but CC may have purchased in bulk? How long since leaded was at the pumps?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 10:42pm
my 94 says to use min. of 91 octane, therefore i figured 94 wouldnt hurt..... i have noticed that running 87 or 89 octane makes the motor run a little rougher.

buff- the government set up standards/phase out leaded gas in the 70's...so id assume somewhere in the mid 7o's..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I also know that my boat appreciates it, and the PO said to use it.

The manufacturer of the lead substitute appreciates you buying it as well. Why did the PO tell you to use it? Did he rebuild the engine and not put all the good stuff in the engine for unleaded?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 11:45pm

my 94 says to use min. of 91 octane

What motor do you have in your 94? My 97 with the gt40 says 89. I didn't know any of them required 91.

Rob
Bryan89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 11:53pm
My boat is stock no rebuilds or upgrades. The original label on the engine says to use only leaded 89 octane fuel. It also says to use a lead substitute if you must use unleaded fuel. I thought that it was strange for an 89 to still require lead fuel. I plan to continue to run straight unleaded 89 unless I will be doing damage to my engine.

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 9:15am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The manufacturer of the lead substitute appreciates you buying it as well. Why did the PO tell you to use it? Did he rebuild the engine and not put all the good stuff in the engine for unleaded?

I don't think this motor has ever been pulled apart, and I've mentioed before that this motor had been through some grief. Maybe it's just that tired, but it runs much better with the additive.

I'll post what I find when I take it apart.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by rleinen79 rleinen79 wrote:

my 94 says to use min. of 91 octane

What motor do you have in your 94? My 97 with the gt40 says 89. I didn't know any of them required 91.

Rob

I dont think any of the PCM Fords ran anything more than ~8.5:1. 89 octane should be plenty.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 8:27pm
I am only 26 and I can rememer 99 octance leaded gas at the pump until about 1986 in michigan.

I run unleaded premium, no problems....
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 8:46pm
i just opened my engine manual for my 1994 ans it reads, a min. of an average of 89 octane...where in the hell did i get this 91 min from..im gonna check my spark arrestor cover tomm..maybe i got it from there?..this whole time i have been running high grade..with as many hours i put on it a year, im sure i coulda saved a few hundred this summer, and a few from last also..wow, somewhere i know i have read it somewhere on my boat..or maybe not! its weird cause i swear my motor runs rougher with 87 0r 89..must be my damn imagination..
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 8:49pm
the only time you should run a higher octane is when your valves clutter or diesel, you'll hear that on your car going up a hill, thats when you need a highr octane,
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

the only time you should run a higher octane is when your valves clutter or diesel, you'll hear that on your boat going up a hill, thats when you need a highr octane,

Erik. You driving that new boat of yours up and down waterfalls??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 10:38pm
8122- thats f inf hilarious...im hoping he meant truck...almost as funny as where to i have come up with using min of 91 octane!

didnt you know water always runs uphill?
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 9:57pm
It's not my imagination my bfn runs rough with any thing less than 92 octane. It also consumes more fuel..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic