NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle Nuetral Safety Switch Issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
whiz05403 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiz05403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle Nuetral Safety Switch Issues
    Posted: July-26-2007 at 11:24am
Gents, I have a 96 Sport and it has been increasingly difficult to start. I usually just have to jiggle the throttle and it cranks right up, now I'm having to jiggle the throttle much more and I'm getting worried I may get stuck in the middle of the lake.

Is it a safety switch issue, throttle cable issue? The cabe is just three years old. Any advice. Thanks.

(I'm sorry in advance if this topic has been covered before, I did do a search but it seemed the other posts were from older boats than mine)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 11:33am
Whiz, The best way to check the switch is with a ohm meter or a test light. Take one of the two wires off the switch and then when the single lever helm control is in the neutral position check that the switch is closing. With a ohm meter, if you get any resistence yhen you know the contacts are bad and you need a new switch. I thought you ordered anew switch from skidim?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 11:49am
It might just be out of adjustment. If the transmission cable is adjusted so that the neutral position on the throttle lever does not correspond with the exact center of the neutral position on the tranny, the NSS will be falsely triggered. Try making a slight adjustment on the cable, either longer or shorter- a few rotations may be all thats required.
whiz05403 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiz05403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 12:54am
Where exactly is the switch? And are you talking about making adjustments to the cable where it comes into the tranny?

Thanks in advance.
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 7:27am
I always carry a few yards of electrical wire in my tool kit - It isn't a substitute for preoper maint and correct adjustment, but it will get you home - a screwdriver across the starter terminals on the starter will bypass the NSS if it jacks altogether - but make sure you run the blower and when I have had to do that I leave the cover up for a good while before making all those sparks!
Easily Parted From Money
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 11:22am
Originally posted by whiz05403 whiz05403 wrote:

Where exactly is the switch? And are you talking about making adjustments to the cable where it comes into the tranny?

Thanks in advance.

Whiz;
The cable adjustment is done where it connects to the tranny. The NSS is screwed into the back end of the tranny and should have two white leads running to it.

One thing you could do to test the operation of the NSS is to disconnect the cable from the tranny and then manually shift the tranny into forward, neutral and reverse. Each gear (or neutral) should have a firm indent when engaged and the engine should not turn over in forward or reverse but should turn over in neutral. If that works good, then I would suspect that the cable just needs adjustment.
If that test doesn't work, then replace the NSS. It's only a few dollars from SKIDIM.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 11:33am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Originally posted by whiz05403 whiz05403 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

If that test doesn't work, then replace the NSS. It's only a few dollars from SKIDIM.

As I recommended previous,I would get the meter out first and check to see if the switch is closing before you order a new one. Yes it is only a couple bucks but what if it isn't the switch? You will wait to get the new one from Skidim and then find out that the switch was ok and then will have waisted all that time. A test light will work too and we will walk you through it if needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 2:37pm
If you can wiggle the throttle with the button pushed in it is not the switch itself.

How old are your cables? My trans cable has a lot of slop in it so I cannot adjust it out. Sometimes you just have to wiggle the throttle to get it in the right spot. I am more concerned that the cable is in the correct position when it is in fwd, so I am not slipping the trans.

Tim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic