NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vibration under partial throttle?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
acpskitique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpskitique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vibration under partial throttle?
    Posted: April-23-2007 at 8:29am
Took my Ski Tique out for its first big day of my ownership yesterday. I had some observations on its performance that I needed clarified. When I take it out alone the boat flies, but if I get two or three more people in the boat it becomes very slow when accelerating, and has a vibration that rattles the windshield when I'm accelerating up to speed, it goes away mostly at higher speed. Plus, if I'm towing a tube with a few people in the boat the prop will make a cavitating noise and the motor will have a surging sensation when turning. With a few people in the boat and I try to accelerate out of a corner it doesn't matter how hard I push the throttle, the motor has no real response and just takes a while to get up to speed. Is this just a weight issue? Another thing I noticed was at part throttle just cruising I can feel the motor surging a bit...Any ideas? (I know its a lot of things at once)
'76 Ski Tique 302PCM
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2007 at 9:02am
you either have a bent blade on the prop, a bent shaft, a bad cutlass bearing or mis-alignment,
even if you scuff a sand bar you will do damage.
Start at the prop and if you think it looks good it probably isnt, normally the first thing to hit is the prop then go after the shaft, use the process of elimination, as a basic maintance issue check the alignment, you could be getting shaft whip from the misalignment. Remember props and shafts spin engine speed or at 1.23:1. ant type of problem you will get a vibe
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2007 at 9:16am
Adam, Keep in mind that the Tique is a small boat and even the addition of 1 person will make a difference. Also, there are lots of harmonics at certain speeds. The hulls can act as a giant speaker. Do check the engine as it sounds like you do have issues. Check the driveline too as Eric stated. A cupped prop will sometimes help will cavitation but what you are experiencing on turns may be normal. I had my 77 Tique out Saturday and they do hum quite a bit!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpskitique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2007 at 9:42am
The shaft and prop look brand new. There is one small, small ding in the prop, but otherwise that looks new too. I was told the previous owner was a correct craft mechanic. I dunno, I will be changing the trans fluid, and checking its alignment. I'm also going to check the plugs and wires because it almost sounds like a miss. It's got an MSD ignition.
'76 Ski Tique 302PCM
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2007 at 12:44pm
one small ding will do it, that ding may have bent the blade a touch which can be naked to the eye. a good example to compare things to is a tire on your car, it is spinning a tenth slower and you wouldnt think those little lead weights would make a differeence but they do.
Your prop is spinning engine speed or close to it and if not perfect you will get a intermittant vibration. Send it to the prop shop and see what they say, I too was a victom of hitting some sand and thought that little ding wouldnt hurt a thing and behold the prop was bent along with the shaft, so dont rule out the prop
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpskitique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2007 at 1:44pm
Would any of this affect my top speed or performance with only the driver in the boat? Because otherwise the boat runs up to about 50mph, and accelerates great. It's only different with more people in the boat
'76 Ski Tique 302PCM
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpskitique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2007 at 1:48pm
could pulling a heavy load from the skylon make the prop bite at weird angles causing problems...?? just a thought I had
'76 Ski Tique 302PCM
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2007 at 10:05pm
props will deflect under different load situations and vibrate, is it something that has always been there or did it just start happening?
sometimes you'll lose top end and sometimes you wont with a bent or dinged prop. A little more history may help out
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpskitique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 12:02am
With a load it acts a lot differently. With a few people in the boat and towing a tube, when you take a turn sometimes it sounds like the prop is cavitating and there's a surging feeling. With a few people in the boat it just acts different all around. It becomes very un responsive. If I try to power out of a turn it feels like it only has like 30hp, and the motor wont put out any power no matter how hard I open the throttle, but this is along with that cavitation noise so I think it might be the prop. I have a whole list of things I'm going to check starting with the plugs, timing, everything in between and ending at having the prop checked.
'76 Ski Tique 302PCM
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 6:33am
Adam, Check the engine but from what you have added to describing the performance, the boat may be normal. Is this your first boat?

The Tique was designed as a SKI boat with a driver and a observer. It sounds like you are putting alot of gear and people in it and pulling tubes plus you have just mentioned the skylon. Because of the narrow beam of the Tique, a skylon will pull the boat over very easily. I do not feel it is a good addition to a Tique. Learn to ski, pull from a stock pylon, put only a observer in the boat and you will have a great ski boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpskitique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 9:22am
This is my first boat, however I have driven many other ski boats with V-8's and not experienced what I have with mine. The weight suggestion is well taken, I did learn my lesson with that. I still will be going through everything though. I have learned a lot from this site so far and will be making sure everything is perfect in the driveline.
'76 Ski Tique 302PCM
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpskitique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 9:24am
Oh, and with the skylon, you're not supposed to pull anything at over 45 degrees from the back of the boat and I adhere to that. I've never felt any difference in the boat's behavior with having a tube or skier attached to it versus the back ring or the ring next to the engine box.
'76 Ski Tique 302PCM
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 9:30am
Adam, Good luck with checking the engine and driveline. Hope you find something obvious and simple. Keep in mind that the "back ring" is a lifting ring and not really designed to pull with. There has been some discussions on it in other threads.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpskitique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 10:10am
Yeah, I saw those threads, however I also saw in them people talking about pulling tubes for years and years on that ring. The inner supports for that ring on my boat are in great shape. In fact, I think mine has actually been turned 90 degrees so that the holes of the ring face left to right, instead of front to back as I've always seen. I dunno why... Maybe they were made this way on ski tiques??
'76 Ski Tique 302PCM
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 10:24am
acpskitique- What size/ pitch prop are you running? An incorrectly sized/ pitched prop could explain the cavitation issues.
I'd suggest having the prop checked and replacing the strut bushing (cutlass bearing?).

Also, how are your stringers at the rear mounts (tranny mounts)? Are the rear mounts tight? If for any reason they are loose or your stringers are rotted, then you could be binding up in the turns. When going straight that would not be noticable. Just another thing to check on.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpskitique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2007 at 11:54pm
Not sure about the prop, it was on the boat when I bought it a few weeks ago. I will check that all out though. I'm starting this week with a thorough go over of everything to try and pinpoint any problems.
'76 Ski Tique 302PCM
rond007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rond007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 10:53pm
Stringers, sound right to me. Have a 78 Tique, with wood stringer you have to check them often. Not like to stringers and engine mounts of today. Check for stripped lags or cracks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic