NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

anyone from Bakersfield Ca.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone from Bakersfield Ca.
    Posted: March-14-2007 at 8:46am
I copied and pasted this form a news clip. I can't believe it's true. Any comments?

8. THE GRAND FINALE!!!
Last summer, down on Lake Isabella, located in the high desert, an hour
east of Bakersfield, CA, some folks, new to boating, were having a
problem.
No matter how hard they tried, they couldn't get their brand new 22 foot
boat, going. It was very sluggish in almost every maneuver, no matter
how
much power they applied. After about an hour of trying to make it go,
they
putted into a nearby marina, thinking someone there may be able to tell
them what was wrong. A thorough topside check revealed everything in
perfect working condition The engine ran fine, the out-drive went up
and
down, and the propeller was the correct size and pitch
So, one of the marina ! guys jumped in the water to check underneath.
He
came up choking on water, he was laughing so hard.
NOW REMEMBER...THIS IS TRUE.
Under the boat, still strapped securely in place, was the trailer!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 8:54am
Pete,

I think that may be an old recycled joke, I have seen/heard it before.
After spending any time at a public launch it would not surprise me if something like this has actually happened somewhere at some point however.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 9:11am
Quinner, Since I don't trailer my boats like allot of people, I don't really spend that much time at the ramp. I have seen plenty of stupid things at the ramp even with my limited time but this one is almost unbelievable.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 9:19am
Pete, I am not on the trailer often anymore either but years past used to trailer quite a bit, couple places that always come to mind are any busy ramp on the Chain or Fox River with the most entertaining being the launches in Downtown Chicago on Lake Michigan after the fireworks show, total chaos with a mix of alcohol.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 10:14am
yeah im with you Quinner on the entertaining launches after the fireworks, because i love to watch em myself when they're all coming back in for the night all schwasted, but i dont see how this could be true at all, i just dont see how the trailer could ever become unhooked from the vehicle and noone notice...nonetheless the joke always makes me laugh...also wouldnt the boat sit quite a bit lower in the water with all that trailer still strapped to it? thatd be pretty noticable too i would think... but i dunno i guess i wouldnt put anything past some of the schmucks out there...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 10:20am
Nate, doing the math there are wakeboarders who load up with more ballast than a trailer would weigh. Maybe Wally thought the trailer was supposed to stay with the boat???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 11:09am
Chris, That's one of the reasons I don't boat the chain. Another is I showed my little Atom at Mchenry way back and after the show was over we went on on cruise. I didn't even make it out of the river!! I was taking water over the windshield from all the 30' obnoxious "go-fasts" not believing in the slow no wake!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 11:56am
I heard it was a woman and seen that on TV somewhere
"the things you own will start to own you"
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2007 at 12:10pm
I've read these types of things several times. Don't know if it is urban legend, or truth.

In the neighborhood I grew up, there is insufficient side yard access to get the trailers to the back yards. Many of the neighbors strapped there trailers to the boat and drove them by water around back so they could use the trailer on there back yard launch ramp. On the ski boats of the 70s and 80s, the weight of the trailer would pull the boats doen nearly to the rub rails. Quite and exciting trip. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic