Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foolish Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foolish Question
    Posted: March-12-2007 at 8:53am
Does anyone know when or why boats went from a port to a starboard helm?

Did this have anything to do with rotation/weight/ballance? Or was it something simple like ergonomics?

Looking at some old boat pics made me wonder.   d

Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 3:25pm
Since a reverse rotation engine will always pull the stern in the port direction thats the side you always dock on. Then it's the boats mate reposibility for catching you so if you screw up the docking you can blame him or her!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 7:51pm
maybe because of the controls? with more people being right handed? thats a damned good question though because i dont have any idea
"the things you own will start to own you"
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 7:59pm
Maybe the British talked us into it. Or maybe, it's because(while boating) you pass on the right. I don't have any idea either.
Scott
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 9:20pm
I searched to try to find the post, but there was a long discussion about this about 8 or 9 months ago. There are various theories, but most think it has to do with rotation and weight to counter it.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 9:30pm
years ago the propeller on the boats were larger in diameter and the torque of the spinning propeller would make the right side of the boat lift out of the water.
so the boat manufactures put the steering wheel on the right side to give extra weight so the boat would ride more level..
Scott
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 9:42pm
edit
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2007 at 9:47pm
Assuming that is true, it makes sense.

Good find Scott!! Now I can sleep again. lol d
Danny

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 5:32pm
Scott,
But wouldn't a standard rotation engine and LH prop, assuming the earliest boats would be constructed with this simplest readily available config, have lifted the port side? I don't have a clue as to why one side vs the other was chosen, but I feel that the RH engine/prop rotation in a small single screw might have followed the decision to locate the driver to starboard. It certainly would have been a lot easier over time to have done the opposite. While the majority of U.S. builders I just researched were building mostly starboard steer back to the 30s, Europeans have been building port helm boats forever. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm leaning towards Duffnit's original ponder of ergonomics potentially "driving" the boat.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 5:42pm
Does it have anything to do with boat traffic rules? You meet oncoming boats opposite as you do on the road with cars.
Tim D
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2007 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Scott,
But wouldn't a standard rotation engine and LH prop, assuming the earliest boats would be constructed with this simplest readily available config, have lifted the port side? I don't have a clue as to why one side vs the other was chosen, but I feel that the RH engine/prop rotation in a small single screw might have followed the decision to locate the driver to starboard. It certainly would have been a lot easier over time to have done the opposite. While the majority of U.S. builders I just researched were building mostly starboard steer back to the 30s, Europeans have been building port helm boats forever. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm leaning towards Duffnit's original ponder of ergonomics potentially "driving" the boat.

Reid, I can't answer your question. The info I gave, came from a search on Yahoo. All I did was cut and paste. Scott
Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic