Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1998 Chevy 1500 Transmission Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1998 Chevy 1500 Transmission Question
    Posted: March-07-2007 at 10:48pm
Hi Group, long time, no see. I hope all is well with everyone.

The situation is this: I just picked up a 98 Chevy 1500 Z71 pick-up with a 350 Vortec and I may have a transmission issue. When I start out driving in the morning the truck runs and shifts fine until I hit top gear (OD). Then I feel what I think is a little slippage. The tach will jump a small amount and the tone of the engine will change. This only happens between 45 and 55 mph (around 1200 to 1500 rpm). If I keep it in 3, not a problem. If I set the cruise, no problem (1500 rpm @ 55 mph).

The trans fluid level is right on the mark and does not smelled burnt. I was told new plugs may solve the problem, not quite sure how or why.

Any help, as always, is appreciated.

Thanks, Mike
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 6:34am

That speed is torque converter lockup range.

Likely electrical - examin the qd's in the harness and tranny and xtansfer case connection (spped sensor) connection for corrosion.

Have someone drive behind you and see if your brake light is flashing over bumps, a misadjusted brake light will cause the TC to unlock and lock with each flash, because its supposed to unlock when you hit the brake.

After that, I don't know.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 6:52am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

a misadjusted brake light will cause the TC to unlock and lock with each flash, because its supposed to unlock when you hit the brake.

How is a torque converter affected by anything electrical? Last time I looked a torque converter was a purely mechanical device.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 7:27am
The TC lock signal has always been electrical, since the early eighties on the 700R4, and its subsequent variants. The electrical signal energizes a solenoid in the valve body.

It eliminates the inherant slip in the TC and improves cruise efficiency to be more like a manual trans.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 7:48am
it should be a 4l60e, which lock up is controlled by a solenoid, the converter actually has a clutch plate that locks the engine to the trans, if its not the sloenoid you may have a problem in the converter or whatever feeds the converter oil.
usually the check enf=gine light will come on possibly if electrical, take to a good trans shop and have them plug it in
"the things you own will start to own you"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 8:00am
Ok, I'm an idiot then. That's the last time I speak with conviction about anything mechanical on cars or boats. Just when you think you know something...
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 8:31am
Thanks guys!
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 8:36am
I am not sure you have a problem at all, you may just be watching the transition from locked to viscous which is going to involve a slight increase in RPM. At the low rpm range you are talking about it would be on the edge of where it would unlock, then if you slowed just a bit or hit a hill it would unlock the torque converter but not necessarily shift.

Usually any slippage will register a check engine light as Eric states above.

Its a sweet truck with a lots of room to crawl around under I would be changing trans fluid and filter just for piece of mind anyway.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 8:46am
take it to a place that hooks it up to the cooler lines to flush the entire system including the converter. if you pull pan you can usually only get 4 quarts out and it is a 9 qt. system
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 9:33am
Just make sure anyplace that does a flush also changes the filter after the flush or it can do more harm than good.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 9:44am
also go slightly faster and see if you still have the same issue. Sometimes people will cruise right at the point it engages and it will engage and disengage and make you feel like there's a problem.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2007 at 7:40pm
69, same truck same issues,I think the slang for that is "hunt".Just had a reman Jasper installed,after a phone call to their tech line,was told this is normal.But first check by touching the brake pedal,if tach increases,let off pedal,tach should drop rpm's.They said it was at the transition of lok-up,or as they said hunting...........
their advice speed up or slow down,or pull down on the shift lever,to3........boat dr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic