Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post lay up

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post lay up
    Posted: March-07-2007 at 9:17pm
First winter with the boat. Everything is winterized like you guys taught me on here.What do you guys do to un winterize? My plugs ,oil, fluid & impeller are all new & in place.I would like to hear what you guys do as far as the antifreeze.Do you drain everything then prime with water & start on the ramp? I don't have a fake a lake or a waterhose so I guess it's strait to the lake for me. Thanks, Dan
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 9:27pm
i like to take the boat to the ramp, give it a few shots of starting fluid and start her up...let it heat up to temp, blow it out so to speak a few times.....shut it down then pull it back to the house and change the oil not the filter....i change oil with new oil/filter before layup.......i graese my rudder, clean up...etc, now im rambling on..you get the idea....check to make sure your impeller got zero missing fins...
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 9:49pm
Tell me you guys don't dump all that anti-freeze into the lake.

I drain mine best I can, then run the hose to the boat. I hang two buckets right on the exhaust and catch the water until it comes out clear. Then I take the anti-freeze in the buckets to the parts store and have them recycle it.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 10:36pm
Take the blanket out of the boat, put the bimini back on, make sure the tank's full . . .Yep, that pretty much covers summerizing here. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 10:50pm
87, If you use the pink anti-freeze, the stuff for RV and Marine, it is non-toxic and safe to discharge in the water or anywhere else.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 10:50pm
What is "winterizing"?

Just had to type that. Of course I know, from living in Ohio for the first 53 years. Boy is it nice now not to have to do all that stuff. Cool to use the boat the day after Christmas with Reid and of course this past weekend with the guys (and Blondie) who did my motor.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 11:10pm
jbear,

You just love to rub it in, Don't you??

So, I read that you were in Ohio recently. Was it Sandusky?
Next time you come up to Ohio you should stop by and have a few beers.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2007 at 11:34pm
Sorry, Randy.

I was in Columbus for the State Wrestling Tourment. Then Avon Lake for my brother's retierement party. Saw some of my ski club buds there. Then it was overnite in North Royalton, Sunday in Strongsville. Very busy. Wish I would've had some time to meet up with some of you guys. Or maybe visit Eric's place in Brunstucky. Maybe next time.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 6:44am
Dans, The fake a lake is a great device. It allows you to make sure the boat will start before you get to the ramp. It's embarrassing to say the least with 20 people behind you at the ramp and it won't start. I made mine with a toilet plunger and some pipe fittings.You can always pull the hose off the pickup and connect it to the garden hose too.

Stick with the pink RV and you don't need to worry about it going into the lake.

To prime the engine with gas, I use one of the small pump oilers/squirt cans with gas in it. I am totally against the starting fluid because ether is a strong solvent and washes the oil off the cylinder walls.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 9:13am
I'm with JBear now. What is winterizing? God, it's so nice to not have to do that stuff anymore.

Anyway, I always used the pink antifreeze and changed the fuel filter/water seperater in the spring and also changed the water pump impeller. I always did everything else before layup.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 9:38am
Be careful about hooking the garden hose directly to the water intake, if you rev the engine at all the hose may collapse.

To run without a fake-a-lake I use a 5 gallon bucket, put the boat intake and garden hose in the bucket, fill with water, start the boat. You can visually monitor the water level/flow this way.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 9:39am
Temps here today 75+ shorts and tee shirt,water still too cool to drag out the Parasail. So we are just cruisin'.......
Hope the snow leaves soon for you guy's up there,"Don't eat the yellow snow"
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2007 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

What is "winterizing"?

That's what you do to your beer on a hot day.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic