NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2 cycle problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 cycle problem
    Posted: February-26-2007 at 6:19pm
I have a 1990 Polaris 500 2 cylinder.
It boggs down until you hit 5000 rpm ,then it runs like a raped ape untill 7000.
It has new plugs, 100-120 psi in both cyl, fresh gas and oil. I would like to know why it is bogging down.

Thanks

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 6:28pm
Sounds like a mag/ignition issue maybe. I'm not really to sharp with 2 cycles. How about the gas/oil mixture ratio maybe a little heavey on the oil?
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 6:32pm
It has oil injection . I havent touched it since I have owned it for 5 years but I suppose it could move from vibration.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 6:51pm
Polaris what? Snowmobile? Watercraft? Give me some details and I'll try to get you on the right path.How long has it been sitting,did it come on all of a sudden,worse hot or cold,etc.Shouldn't be too difficult to narrow it down.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
92cc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 6:51pm
soundslike dirty carbs,remove and clen,dont forget pilot jet.
92cc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 6:52pm
2 fett of new snow here in wi alot of snowmobiles finally getting used again
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 7:29pm
05 It is a snowmobile .It hasnt been sitting very long , less than a month . I dont know if it happens worse when its cold or hot . I know it does happen when it is hot . I just seemed to notice it this year , maybe after the first couple of rides

92 Where you live at ? I live in northern Il
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 7:30pm
did you use stabil Pat? might just be a little varness or dirt in the carb if it has been sitting awhile. Might try some carb cleaner in with the gas might save you from removing the carb to clean?
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 8:14pm
   If it starts and idles ok,most likely not a pilot jet,but the carbs are a good place to start.Definately not a main jet if it pulls hard on top.Throw some isopropyl in it,just to eliminate water as an issue.This may sound dumb,but is the bog smooth?Most electrical issues will cause a breaking up(unsmooth) condition and will get worse with heat.If one of the clutches is acting up,it will not shift properly,causing a condition very similar to accellerating in a car in "too high of a gear".Two strokes have a very narrow operating range and if not allowed to stay in that range they will do all sorts of funny things.
   You'll also want to check the PTO side crank seal.Start the machine and spray the seal behind the drive clutch with wd40 or brakeclean,if the engine dies or the idle really picks up(either could happen)then the seal is junk.I would check this before doing anything else.
   There are many things it could be,I could probably tell you exactly what it is if I could ride it,but that obviously isn't going to happen.Indy 500's are pretty much bulletproof,so I would think it's something basic causing the problem.
   If you're committed to figuring it out yourself without taking it to a dealer,shoot me an e-mail and I'd be happy to help you through it.Sorry for the long post.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
92cc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:38pm
I live in warrens wi but hang out in eagle river also at cottage
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 9:01am
How much do you weigh?
"the things you own will start to own you"
92cc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 9:14am
haha
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 10:42am
its a legitimate question, sometimes you don't notice when you put on an extra 100 or 2 and all of a sudden the sled doesnt go quite as fast,
"the things you own will start to own you"
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 6:06pm
don't have that problem on a Ski-Doo Eric they are fast not matter what the rider weighs.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 6:26pm
Well, I've met Pat, and it's definitely not his weight. BKH
Livin' the Dream

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 6:53pm
I only way 220 . It is a legitimate question . The first time I noticed it was when I was rideing double with my Smoking Hot Babe. So I thought that was it . Then I was pulling the kids on a tobogan . I thought the plugs were going bad, So I bought more. Then I took it for another ride and noticed that it was still doing it . The bogging is gradual and not choppy or inconsistent. I did try to spray some carb cleaner behind the clutch but it didnt seem to change any . The foam for the air cleaner seems to be ,puffing back out when I give it gas instead of always sucking in . I dont know if that makes a difference. I dont remember if it was doing this at the beggining of the winter . Last year when I put it away I turned off the gas line and let the carbs run out of gas for storage .

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 7:44pm
   Does the problem occur when the back of the sled is off the ground(ie)no load? The air cleaner puffing back would make me want to look at the reeds.If you pull the carbs out of the intake boots,you should be able to look in at the petals to see if they are sealing/broken.If a reed is bad it could cause the airbox pressure you are describing.Does it idle ok?
    Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2007 at 2:15pm
Sounds like a great excuse to buy a new sled.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2007 at 6:34pm
It starts with 2 pulls and idles fine . I did put it up on a jack stand and the problem still occured briefly . Bogged for a second till it hit 5000 then ripped up to 7000 imediatly. I have not had a chance to check the reed valves.

Scott , it does sound like a great excuse to buy a new sled but I have only gotten 800 miles on it since I bought it about 5 years ago . I cannot justify the price for the amount miles I get per year.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2007 at 7:23pm
You might want to check the clutch it self. MY uncle had a sled that the clutch was stuck in high gear so to speak. It was not backing off, in translation it was like taking of in a car in fifth gear. No matter how much gas you gave it it bogged until it hit the propper rpm range for the placement of the clutch. Just a guess and something to check.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2007 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

.If one of the clutches is acting up,it will not shift properly,causing a condition very similar to accellerating in a car in "too high of a gear".Two strokes have a very narrow operating range and if not allowed to stay in that range they will do all sorts of funny things.      
   Mike

87 BFN wrote:
You might want to check the clutch it self. MY uncle had a sled that the clutch was stuck in high gear so to speak. It was not backing off, in translation it was like taking of in a car in fifth gear. No matter how much gas you gave it it bogged until it hit the propper rpm range for the placement of the clutch. Just a guess and something to check.

......... Great minds think alike

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Furno View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2007 at 9:16pm
You will want to check the clutch and the secondary. Both play a part in making sure the engine stays in the right RPM range. If one is moving and the other is not, it could cause your problem. You talked about the how the engine is running - is the sled reacting in the same way the RPMs are?
Andy

'83 2001
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2007 at 10:28pm
Mike sorry I didnt see or misunderstood the clutch thing .I will look at that tomorrow . Could a worn belt also be a factor ?

Andy Yes the sled is acting like the engine rpms . It moves slow untill 5000 then the track will spin and move fast .

Should I spray the primary clutch with carb cleaner or brake cleaner to maybe free it up a little?

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2007 at 10:42pm
worn belts can cause problems but it would have to be really worn to cause this type of problem. Wouldn't hurt to look at it. Jack the track up again, make sure no one is behind it. Seen a guy lose his leg when a studded track broke and shot out the back at a high speed while holding a sled up. Anyway watch the clutches ingauge and disingauge through the rpm range. If it looks like one is sticking then it may need to be greased or rebuilt.

05 210 for got that you had wrote that earlier. Pat had not mentioned checking the clutches so i thought I would throw it out there. Like I sadi uncle's sled did that idled fine but when you gave it gas it bogged until it reached the right rpm for where the clutch was stuck at. It ended up needing a new secondary.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 8:00am

It's a good thing you reposted that advise,looks like it got missed the first time.

Pat,

Like 87 said,you should check the belt.Other than that,look at both clutches carefully,Check the primary sliding post for rust,look at the spring and make sure it is not broken.You should be able to take the belt off and check the operation of the secondary clutch also.It is easy to diassemble,clean,and relube,but it has to go back together exactly as it came apart and is under spring pressure.
    Remember the primary clutch controls mostly upshifting,while the secondary is mainly responsible for backshifting.
    The primary is designed to run without lube.You could spray some on it in the sliding areas to see if it helps temporarliy.If it does,you will need to diassemble the primary and replace the faulty components.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 5:47pm
hell with it put it away and get the boat ready for spring. Play with the sled this fall.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 6:42pm
I always have a tendency to do that then before tou know it the season is over

I did take a look at the clutches and everything apears to work properly

I sprayed carb cleaner all around carbs while running and didnt notice any varience in rpms. Also sprayed all around engine block with no change.

What is the compression supposed to read ?
when I did a check I pulled one plug at a time and ran it on one cyl while checking other . Engine hot

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 8:04pm
Not 100% sure on that model,but you should be between about 120-140 psi,wide open throttle(without the sled running)after about 10 pulls on the rope.If it starts on the second pull,idles fine and pulls hard on top,I'd be very surprised if the problem is in the motor itself.Not quite time to put her away yet.At least if you fix it now,you won't be dealing with it next year.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic