NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stainless Steel Manifolds

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 12:35pm
the only thing about jet-hot coating is it has to be on the outside and inside for it to work right. With the jacket it might not coat the runners very well and cause problems. With headers it's not that big of a deal but with the jacket it might trap an air pocket when they dip them and not coat inside the jacketed area as well as it needs to be. Guess if the person dipping it rotated while in the tank to makesure all of the air is out then it should be ok. diffently couldn't just drop then in the tank along because air would get traped unless it was under vaccum in a pressure vessel.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 1:15pm
Thanks for the info, 79- that sheds some light on the jet-hot process. I sent my coating guy a picture of the Hi-teks and will call him to discuss. Hopefully this is something that Allen can have done locally if he wont ship them bare. It doesnt make sense to pay extra for powder or polished if Im going Jet-hot anyways.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 1:45pm
he's out sorcing the polishing and coating anyway wouldn't see why he couldn't have then jet-hot coated might be a little more after shipping cost are added, then your at the polished price anyway so you might as well buy them polished, your spending 1400.00 already what's another 300.00 for the marginal increase in performance. Once I looked at the comparison on their website, the gains don't kick in until the higher RPM range anyway and there's very little difference from idle to 3500 rpm which is the range you'll run the most. Again they look great but to me not worth the cash layout.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 1:59pm
Im hoping he can do the Jet-hot coating instead of the powder for a similar price. I dont see the sense in going polished unless 1)Allen cant do the jet-hot and 2)stripping the powder would cost more than $300.

Your argument for polished makes sense if I wasnt jet-hot coating them, though.

As for performance, I get an instant 3200 RPM out of the hole so I should see some gain there. We do plenty of skiing and barefooting at higher RPM to make the difference worth it (I hope). Youre right though, they sure arent cheap. Thats why Im trying to put the best finish on them right from the start.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

As for performance, I get an instant 3200 RPM out of the hole so I should see some gain there.

didn't know thay made stall converters for boats, where did you get that at?

You are full of so much sh*t half the time.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

As for performance, I get an instant 3200 RPM out of the hole so I should see some gain there.

didn't know thay made stall converters for boats, where did you get that at?

You are full of so much sh*t half the time.

I was getting a solid 3000 with my Acme prop and stock motor. Remember, I have the 1.23 tranny.

Anyone else with a 1.23 want to back me up?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 3:22pm
I cannot wait to see you guy's together at GL this summer!!

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 1:00am
[QUOTE=quinner] I cannot wait to see you guy's together at GL this summer!!

Yeah... me too, Ill be wacthing them in my mirror..
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 11:34pm
Mark, make sure you put your hair in a ponytail so I can look back thru my mirror and still see around you to see them. I'll bet if jbear tried to pull his hair back, he'd have to use a bungy cord. I'm gonna grow a skullet. Similar to the mullet, but only with no hair on top and long hair all around, i.e,. Hulk Hogan. I reak of jealosy.      

I'm putting a power glide in my next boat. Gear heads and old guys know what that is. Heck '79, you of all people know that the instaneous slip of the prop is about as close as you could get to simulating a stall converter, but even better without the sudden bang. It's also what allows a boat to run some extra cam without demonstrating the typical low-end torque loss seen in a car and necessitating lower gear ratios. I'm still studying the holeshot and speed issues of the 1.23 vs 1:1.      
ReidP
1973 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2007 at 11:40pm
Reid; I still don't understand a word of what you guys are talkin' about with this slip and stall and lowend stuff but I sure do like the sound of it.

MM has got me beat on top...thicker and browner...mine used to look like that.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 7:43am
I can only add that my boat does similar, instant 2.9-3k when I nail it to rabbit, it launches hard and holds that rpm to somewhere between 17-20 mph then seems to grab more firmly as rpms climb from there with speed more linearly. mine is 1:1; Its done that since I put the OJ 4 on it. Doesn't do it with the federal, POS acme I tried, nor so much with the OJ-3.

Engine goes straight to the torque peak and when it grabsfirm, the boat just slings out of the hole like a banshee instead of the rpms dropping when the slip fades.

Engine is nothing special (yet) other than a good state of tune, hot ignition and mapped advance curve.

I suspect the 1.23 is a superior, more efficient system because of the lower tip speed, potentially less parasytic losses above 40 mph.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 8:26am
I guess If I used the smaller pitched prop it would do it more but mine just goes no lag just nice and steady pull.

The powerglide tranny's are great racers love them the're pretty much bullet proof.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 10:58am
Like I said, I put on a new fuel pump and a K&N, I dont know which one did it, but it made it much faster in the midrange, not much at the top if any at all, it picked about 100rpm!

If jbears boat goes 50mph, I still dont think that will move his hair...   
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 4:23pm
Jbear with friends like us who needs enemies.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 4:28pm
Mark it was the chrome, it's always good for more speed just because it looks good.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 9:35pm
each piece a chrome is worth 5 hp so some people say. it's not true but it sounds good. Some people joke motors are like women, treat them good, dress them up well, and they will preform like wild fire.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic