Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder Parts ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder Parts ?
    Posted: February-06-2007 at 7:44pm
Looking for help. Does anyone have a parts breakdown for a 1982 CC Rudder and Stuffing Box and tiller arm a$$embly.?

I need to know if there are washers or spacers that go under the tiller arm that is bolted to the Rudder. I have about 1/2" space and it lets the Rudder drop down that much. It seems like there should be no up and down play allowed between the Tiller arm and the nut that screws down with the packing in it.

Thanks
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 11:46am
82, I don't think you are missing any parts but you may want to tighten the packing or replace it. The rudder is a straight shaft held in place with the packing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 11:59am
OK, I did replace the packing and by tightening (Turning down) the large fitting with the packing rings "this will hold the rudder up and prevent the up and down movement?"

Maybe the reason I had the up and down was the packing being wore out or needing replacement.
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 10:01pm
I just repacked the rudder bearing. tighten it until it's really firm. make sure you can still move the rudder arm (which attaches to the steering cable) freely, but make it firm.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 10:21am
I believe there should be a washer under the tiller arm. However, there will still be lots of up and down play. The washer is simply a wear ring to prevent the tiller from rubber directly on the rudder port.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 10:29am
David,

Yes there was a stainless washer under the arm. Correct Craft told me to use 4 rings of packing and tighten down. I did this and the up/down ability was greatly reduced. I believe my problem was not enough packing rings.

Thanks for your response.
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic