NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering systems?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering systems?
    Posted: February-05-2007 at 10:11am
I read the recent posts on steering,and I have a couple of questions.

Whats the difference in a "Safe T" helm and a "Big T" is one better than another I have one of each in my extra parts and I need to replace the system in my little v drive,its way stiff.The one in there now is stamped steel
seems cheap so I thought I'd replace the whole thing with another I have and new cable.The Dr. allowed replace everything and I see a couple on e-bay for less than $200 just like to know which is the better unit.

Also it would be nice if I could extend the wheel a bit closer to me any ideas there?

Thanks in advance I just love this site

Munday
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 11:16am
Munday, if you are going to replace go with a name brand,Tele flex or Morse,don't know about you but my C/C does not have brakes.So as far as i am concerned buy the best steering you can afford,as stated above.I ain't gonna put a cheapo in my ride..................boat dr
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 11:24am
come on doc, your suppose to promote the cheap stuff......your gonna put us out of work
    lol   eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 11:44am
Eric, Been doing this for a long time,armchair quarterbacks are everywhere. Marine parts are not cheap,Quality marine parts are very expensive,the difference is how long they last.Cheap cables last halve as long,the differance is the labor cost involved.
I try to tell the same story each time,pay me now or pay me later,sometimes pay me twice, its your call.......boat dr
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Munday Munday wrote:

Whats the difference in a "Safe T" helm and a "Big T" is one better than another

Anyone have an answer to the actual question?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 1:20pm
I dont know but will try to find out
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I dont know but will try to find out

Just messing with ya Eric. You boys can get off on a tangent real easy some times. How's this for an answer

"because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know"    D.Rumsfeld
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 1:27pm
81, sorry that i missed the boat on the question,both are made ,or should i say SOLD under the trade name Teleflex.my answer would be Good,Better and Best. Teleflex SH1534910P is their top of the line helm a$$y. list is 228.25
Safe-T offers a complete system ,cable and helm for 160.00
Big -T I don't show a listing in my venders catalog. Quality costs more as you can see by the price for the helm only.....boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 2:07pm
Boat doc.... you still didnt answer the question
sorry... he's wondering which ones better, Im wondering what the difference is
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 2:32pm
Eric, ley me try this one more time, All these helms look and function the same,outward looks,bolt pattern,shaft dia..All new style rotary helms will have the same Q/C or{quick connect} fitting.The difference is THE PRICE.....boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 7:26pm
so are they different? mr bush
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 9:48pm
Yhats a little of what I was after.Ihe existing one looks the cheapest.and it would have to a new cable.I have two others,I pulled the one apart that looked to be the best quality.it does have the quick connect system.
Came off a Century roadkill I salvaged years ago and will be fine ,thanks

Munday
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic