Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gelcoat instructional

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gelcoat instructional
    Posted: January-22-2007 at 8:29pm
If anyone is interested, there are a number of instructional videos from Jamestown Distributors on YouTube.com. Just search "gelcoat" and then "more from this user" I would post a link but don't know how.
                  Farmer
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 5:27pm
Thanks for the tip. That is my next project.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2007 at 11:41pm
And I thought you tube was just for wasting time at work....

here is a link to the video:
Gelcoat repair

Thanks Farmer
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 10:49am
I watched the video and very glad I did not see that when I repaired by boat. IMHO (slightly experienced), that video makes it harder than it needs to be. If the scatch is simply in the gelcoat, why go to the trouble of using gelcoat putty and then gelcoat. Just use gelcoat. Fill the scratch with gelcoat cover with clear packign tape so the surface cures (something neglected in the video) and then start the graduated sanding process. The video also left out information on tracers. How in the world can you know how your sanding is progressing without a tracer????? UGH!
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 6:05pm
I just a$$umed he was using the scratch repair to show how you would repair gelcoat in general. Didn't you use bondo on your boat to level the hull before you gelcoated? Never having done this myself,the only thing that came to mind was the gelcoat would be pretty thin if you filled the repair area with putty before applying gelcoat. By tracers,do you mean a light coat of paint to show the low spots after sanding?
                      Farmer
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 10:25am
Yes mostly to bondo. Actually used thickened empoxy mostly. Used bondo as a final skim coat as it is easier to use. If you go bondo, you need a good mechanical bond so the surface must be roughed up well.

The video showed how to fill a scratch through the gelcoat only. In this scenario, no filler or bondo is needed and just gelcoat can be used. I agree, by using the putty to fill the void, then there is no room left for the gel and mostly likely you will sand through it when trying to level during sanding.

Yes, a tracer is a light coat of spray paint (I use black enamel) that shows when you have removed all sanding marks from the previous grit of paper used. It also shows low spots or voids. I trace between each grit of paper. After sanding with 400, I stop using a tracer.

Another important thing to do when filling scratches is to open up the scratch with either course paper or a dremel tool. What I mean by open is to make the scratch a pronounced "V" shape. The "V" gives the new gelcoat a longer edge to bond with. Sort of like butt joining wood...you would cut a 22.5 or 45 degree bevel to give a larger glueing surface for a better bond.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 12:58pm
I felt that there was allot missing in it as well. There was something to simplistic about it and expected him to pull out a spray can of Rustoleum for the top coat!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic