Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gas smell

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Robert F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gas smell
    Posted: January-15-2007 at 2:00am

bkhallpss
I looked at A 93 Sport Nautique to day, when we took off the boat cover it smelled like gas. NOT GOOD
How do you start to find the leak like this. ? I think that it should be fixed befor the sea trial.
The transmission has a lot of oil dripping out.
A paper towel that was in the bilge was very wet with red oil.
What is the going price for a transmission rebuild?
I might take you up on your offer to look at the boat.

93 Sport Nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 7:18am
Robert

There are several here who can answer what is the "Best" way to track down a possible fuel leak. Boat Dr, 79 Nautique, Gotta Ski, DavidF, come to mind but there are others.

Eric Levine does transmissions for a living, but others have rebuilt them as well.

I have tracked down the sources of leaks, but I would defer to others as to what is the "best" way.

If you click on my signature below, you can send me and email and we can figure out when we could look at the boat. I will be back in the bay area this weekend. BKH
Livin' the Dream

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 7:32am
First identify the trans, they could leak anywhere, hopefully it didnt leak enough to cause damage, make sure the oil is a nice red color with no burnt smell. If you sea trial make sure that there is no delay in shifting (no that is not normal)....sales pitch. the trans just may need a re seal. use the problems which seem pretty minimal to lower the price of the boat. If you can take bkh with you
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 8:22am
Eric, At least it's not a Chris-o-Matic!! For anyone not familiar with the trans, it was Chris Crafts attempt to make a automatic out of a manuel trans. They used a hydraulic pump and cylinder to move the control arm to the trans. The delay in shifting was so bad that the trans was soon called the crash-o-matic!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 8:45am
SOme gas smell after an extended mooring of a carburated boat is, well, hate to say it, normal;

However, a thorough inspection of every componenet is in order, there are many that can contribute to this problem- tank, sender, vent, fuel line & fittings, filter, fuel pump, hard line & fittings, bowl gasket, bowl screw gaskets, accelpump, throttle shaft seals, etc.

You are correct to take it seriously.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 8:48am
Pete, I still rebuild alot of those old Paragon mechanicals
"the things you own will start to own you"
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 12:27pm
I agree with Gotta Ski. The gas fumes are heavier than air too so they'll just hang there until they finally dissipate over time. That's partly the reason for so many marine regulations on the fuel tank, pump and carb, but it is somewhat normal. Especially, if the boat has been layed up for some time. If it was by chance winterized and under cover, It could even be worse because the cylinders would have been sprayed with storage oil leading to more fumes during the winterizing process. The gas in the carb float bowls evaporates out and can cause some odors too. I would get it started and monitor all gas line fittings and connections from the tank all the way to the carb. If there is a leak, you'll find it pretty quickly. I would a$$ume that everything is good from that standpoint though and it's just an extended storage thing.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2007 at 12:38pm
Another thing that I experienced in WI before I relocated to FL. One year, when I was storing my boat over the winter, I needed to get some measurements on it and when I opened the barn door that it was in, all I could smell was gas. Now, this thing had been in storage for almost two months and it was now January. Freaking out, I found out that the gas tank, which I filled up before putting into storage had actually shrunk when the weather got really cold. It made gas come out the vent outlet of the gas tank and spill all over the floor. That was the last time that I filled up the tank before storage. After that I kept it between half and three-quarters full.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 7:20pm
i think i would look for another boat!
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2007 at 7:59pm
no way, make him come down on the price. If you don't find a leak after running the boat and your worried about it. Plan ahead for the worst case and whatever that will cost you have it come off your offer and expalin to the seller your reasoning.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2007 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Another thing that I experienced in WI before I relocated to FL. One year, when I was storing my boat over the winter, I needed to get some measurements on it and when I opened the barn door that it was in, all I could smell was gas. Now, this thing had been in storage for almost two months and it was now January. Freaking out, I found out that the gas tank, which I filled up before putting into storage had actually shrunk when the weather got really cold. It made gas come out the vent outlet of the gas tank and spill all over the floor. That was the last time that I filled up the tank before storage. After that I kept it between half and three-quarters full.

Been there, done that for sure! That freaked me out the first time it happened as well.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2007 at 8:44pm
Would you say it smelled "fuely"?
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2007 at 10:19pm
Just ate at taco bell, I think I smell gas too!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic