NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My "New" Project Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

The secondaries need to be built out just like yours.

Brian, you probably caught this, but for anyone else reading- the secondaries need to be built out at the front end of the exhaust pockets. This narrows the pockets up and allows for the motorbox to cover the pockets completely. Ive seen boats that did not build the pockets up and had visible gaps with the box closed.

I would definitely leave the last foot in back unfloored... no need for it back there and that will give you complete access to all transom hardware (notably the platform bracket bolts). If youre considering drains, I assume youre not refoaming?

Looks like youre doing a bang up job!
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 1:48pm
I agree with Tim!

I would leave the back open. I didn't and wish I did! When I mounted my platform brackets I used bolts all the way through. I had to raise the bracket just a touch so I could get to the nuts for the bolts for the top of my outside brackets so it would be above the floor. I still had to use lags on the bottom which if I would have left my floor open I could have used bolts on the top and bottom.

I also replaced all the wood in my transom so I won't have to worry about it for a while but if I ever have to replace that wood for the outside brackets, I will have to cut my floor out to get to it. I covered everything in CPES and Epoxy so it should last 20+ years but you never know!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 1:55pm
On mine, there is insufficient room to use through bolts on the bottom of the platform brackets. However, inthe original construction, the lags came through the backing and into the foam. This was yest another possible source of water intrusion into the foam. There is a more significant obstacle in that the Through bolts will be very close to the stringer. I can make it work but need to be careful. I am replacing the wood in the transom witht he exception of the large lifting ring block, and the two small blocks which merely provided a place to mount the speedo tubes (whatever they are called). I will probably leave the back foot or so open. I've seen an early matercraft witth the platform sheered of, and it was a real pain to cut up the floor to get access to fix it. BKH
Livin' the Dream

akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 2:11pm
I filled in my old bracket holes on the outside and moved them a little so they weren't so close to the stringers. I also replaced my brackets with removable brackets so I could fit the boat in the garage. I replaced all the wood in the back except the smaller blocks in the top. Not sure what they were for. I also didn't use pitots for the speedo. I replaced my speedo with an electronic GPS driven one. It was two less holes going through my transom. This is what mine looked like right before I painted it. You can see the floor goes all the way to the back which if I did it again it wouldn't.

Are you foaming?
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 2:20pm
Another thing I did was build a battery box that holds two batteries. While you have the floor out you should consider doing it. It fits pretty well. You have to move the forward bulk head a little but two will fit and building the box out of a mold and glass isn't to hard. Let me know if you want to see some pictures of how to build it and see the fit in the bow and I will post them. It is a nice to have feature! I also ran a tube from the box up to the foam box under the bow so I could wire future amps right off the batteries to under the bow.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 2:33pm

On mine, there is insufficient room to use through bolts on the bottom of the platform brackets.

Brian, insufficient room in which direction?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 4:30pm
AKA,

I've been tossing around idea of dual batteries. With beefed up structure, two batteries, possible amp, possible sub, possible heater, that's a lot of weight getting to bow of boat. Have not decided yet. Yes, I will foam.

Tim, the lowest screw on the platform brackets come through the hull too close the bottom of the boat. Insufficient room to get a nut and washer there.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 5:06pm
that was why I raised my platform a touch. So I could get bolts on the bottom bracket. IT only puts the platform about 1" off the water.

Here are some pictures of my battery setup:

mold covered in wax paper:

First layer of mat:

Removing it from the mold:

test fit:

Final look

All glassed in right before bilge paint:

Finally carpeted and wired with one battery ready for number two:

"IF" I ever sell the boat I think it is a big selling point to show you have two batteries. just my 2 cents!
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 5:23pm
Wow that is really a good idea !! nice work !!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2010 at 11:22pm

Tim, the lowest screw on the platform brackets come through the hull too close the bottom of the boat. Insufficient room to get a nut and washer there.

Too close to get just a nut on there? If not, Id recommend grinding a fender washer flat on the bottom side. Anything through bolted would be superior to a lag.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2010 at 12:47am
I saw someone took a piece of steel and tapped it out in the locations of the bolts.   Then they epoxied it to the inside of the transom and then when they needed to remove the brackets they just removed the bolts from the outside and never needed to put a wrench on the inside to hold the nuts.

I also saw someone do something simliar but instead of tapping the steel they welded the nuts to the steel. I guess either way it accomplishes the same thing. I guess the nuts welded to the steel would give you more threads than tapping a piece of steel.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2010 at 11:17am
Originally posted by akabulla akabulla wrote:

I saw someone took a piece of steel and tapped it out in the locations of the bolts.   Then they epoxied it to the inside of the transom and then when they needed to remove the brackets they just removed the bolts from the outside and never needed to put a wrench on the inside to hold the nuts.

I also saw someone do something simliar but instead of tapping the steel they welded the nuts to the steel. I guess either way it accomplishes the same thing. I guess the nuts welded to the steel would give you more threads than tapping a piece of steel.

Nice idea but I'd recommend stainless however not glassing it in for corrosion issues just incase water does get to it. Create a flat surface with glassed in ply and then the plate would just sit on top of it. Location of the plate can be maintained with a couple emall screws from the inside.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 3:25pm
Continuing on the longest stringer job ever recorded here at CCfan (now almost 3.5 years ) I bedded the main stringers, filleted, and have applied 2, 4, and 8" tape to each side. Pictures aren't too exciting at this point, but I'll post some this weekend.

Last night I saw my first example of amine blush. All surfaces just feel a bit damp and slippery. More viscous than water, but not really oily. I didn't see any white spots or blotches as is sometimes reported. Lots of people have asked how you will know amine blush. I can now answer from first hand experience, you'll know it if you have it. It's pretty obvious to the touch.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbenbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbenbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 7:13pm
Hey BKH,
If you terminate the floor short of the transom, how will you terminate it? Piece of wood and glass? Very interested in doing this to mine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 7:24pm
I am putting foam back in the floor of my boat. I will just stop the foam a foot or so short of the transom. I will probably just use a piece of cardboard taped in place to hold the foam back when pouring, and then just glass over the foam to the floor.

I debated putting in a wooden rib - it would not be that hard.
I think I've decided against it. One, it's not necessary. Two, ribs, particularly ribs with go to the outside gunnel on these boats are not the best idea. The boats flex a bit. This is ok for the stringers which run the length of the boat. However, if a rib is butted up against the outside wall of the boat, it's a source of gel cracking under flexion. Joe in NY is fairly experienced with this and talked me through pros and cons of adding a rib. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 7:26pm
Looks good! I just browsed through the pages kinda scanning the write ups and the pictures. I didn't realize you've been at this so long.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 8:11pm
Okie, bought this when my daughter was two months old. Had lots of time when all she did was sleep 20 hours per day. Then, next thing you know she's running around, "daddy, daddy, daddy" and poof, there goes your time. Add in a job, and the rest of life and you know how it goes.

Luckily this is just a hobby for me. I have a perfectly good boat sitting at the dock. I've learned a lot about boats by taking this one apart. It doesn't matter if it's perfect, and it does not matter when it is done. Some day I want to rebuild a classic from the 60s. Thought I'd practice on something a little less rare.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 8:32pm
You know, after doing mine, I'm thinking the same thing. Something older might be fun sometime down the road.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 8:47pm
Just wrap a board in plastic and then after the foam sets it will come out easy cause the foam won't stick to the plastic.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 7:16pm
Nice to see I am not the only one with a drawn out stringer build. Granted I do not have another boat though. Not that I have had time to go to the lake anyway. I have been several times with friends when I could go so I have not been totally dry.

How old is your little girl? Mine is 5 and wants to help daddy as well. It is tough when dealing with fiberglass though, do not want to deal with her itching from the glass!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 7:26pm
Well pappa, we don't use the other boat enough, and there is no excuse. I live on the water. Boat is on a lift in the backyard. And I haven't been working for 4 months. Go Figure. I guess I'll use the excuse it's still raining here in CA.

My girl is 3 and a half. Yes, she follows me around everywhere, and seems particularly interested in my attention when I'm under the bow or transom covered in epoxy resin

I finished glassing in all six transom pieces this morning. Kills my back and knees to lean over while under the transom to apply the glass. Got the first wrap on one main stringer. Goal is to have both mains wrapped by Saturday, and bed the secondaries on Sunday. We shall see. I could do the job more quickly, but I generally let one section dry before doing another otherwise I find myself stepping or laying in wet resin.
Livin' the Dream

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 10:04pm

I generally let one section dry before doing another otherwise I find myself stepping or laying in wet resin.

Brian, I trashed my favorite pair of firehose pants like that. Got some new ones for Christmas, but they still aren't the same.   

FWIW-When you're all set up to lay a layer of glass, you're 3/4's of the way to laying 3 or more. I found that the resin to 'wet out' 1 piece/layer would almost do the next. You'll save some epoxy by soaking potential runs into the next AND you'll maintain the chemical bond.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 10:22pm
Thanks Greg,

Trying to get a couple layers applied where I can. It was pretty easy when applying the 2, 4, 8 tape at the base. Finding it a bit more difficult over the top of the stringers.

As you know, a learning experience. I get better as I continue, and I think if I were to do another stringer job, it would go much better than the first.

I'll get some pictures up this weekend. What are firehose pants?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 11:04pm

Finding it a bit more difficult over the top of the stringers.

Yep, that's the toughest part. On heavier materials that didn't want to act right I had to result to harsh language. Once the first layer is down though, let it start to get sticky and the rest will cooperate better.

As you know, a learning experience. I get better as I continue, and I think if I were to do another stringer job, it would go much better than the first.

I can't agree more on both points. I only have one stringer job under my belt and am by no means an expert. 2 or 3 more... If I had another 88 BFN to do I could almost pre-cut the whole job. I'm hoping I can share something I learned towards the end of my curve before you get there.   

What are firehose pants?

Ahh...ancient American secret! Comfortable, tough as nails, and warm! For the Bay area...maybe not so much?   

Duluth Trading

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 11:34pm
Those pants are pretty cool. I may have to buy a pair of those. By the time I'm done with this project, my "work jeans" will all be toast. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 8:48pm
Made some progress over the weekend and this morning.
6 transom block in with 2 layers. Mains wrapped twice. Secondaries bedded, and 2" and 4" tape in. Need to wrap secondaries.

Details of the transom blocks. The orginals were so narrow that the swim platform lags were practically outside the blocking. I decided to do some shapping to the transom in order to get a wider block and a more solid piece of wood to mount the platform. I will use through bolts and washers.

Hard to see from this photo. I drilled a 1.5" hole in the main and plugged it with chopped mat and resin. If I decide to mount the steering in the stringer, as original, I can drill the hole through the fiberglass plug instead of through wood.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 10:45pm
Brian,
Look'n good! Do you have any planned completion date - roughly?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 11:11pm
No planned completion date. Have a lot of time on my hands now, so making progress. When I go back to work, probably not so much. I have a lot of cosmetic work to do on the gel and paint. Have to make all the seats and coaming pads. Complete upholster. Engine ran three years ago when I took it out, but who knows. Trailer needs paint, wheels, and a crash pad. How about before my kid is old enough to drive. That gives me 12.5 years. BKH
Livin' the Dream

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 1:04am
Really nice work, Brian. Slow and steady will win many, many races.

I hope you are enjoying the process.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
  Share Topic