Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

freezing temps

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mckin007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mckin007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: freezing temps
    Posted: December-18-2006 at 5:32pm
Okay I have a nautique that is docked on the river. The temps are going to drop to around 26 degrees at night for the next couple of days. I've been given the light bulb advice, but should I go run the engine?
nautique girl
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2006 at 5:38pm
It needs to get to about 18 degrees and stay there for about 12 hours to really mess something up.
Tim D
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2006 at 6:05pm
What temp is the water it is in? Should be fine.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 6:29am
When you see ice forming in the morning on a calm edge of the river bank, then I would start to think about calling it quits for the season and pulling the boat. Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2006 at 7:57pm
What is the light bulb advice?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2006 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by DeepCreekNauti DeepCreekNauti wrote:

What is the light bulb advice?

Placing a light bulb, turned on or lit up, as many of us have been, in the doghouse. Probably not nearly as effective as winterizing?

92cc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2006 at 8:40pm
I surely would not trust my -baby- to a lightbulb as opposed to winterizing,unless you are in a temperate climate,besides,this gives you a chance to look the boat over and fix any problems before the season starts again.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2006 at 6:12am
92, The light bulb trick is used for overnight "insurance" when the temps are going to drop below freezing. You are correct that it will not work as as substitute for winterizing especially in the garage in Eagle River November through May.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2006 at 11:31am
I like the dipstick heater for the short term It is more reliable and less fragile than a light bulb.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2006 at 7:26pm
Rick, Dipstick heaters are a bad solution for keeping a block warm because they can damage or "burn" the oil. Because the surface area of a dipstick heater is so small and the wattage {BTU's} needs to be high to heat a engine, the dipstick surface temp is so high that it degrades the oil. I do not recomend their use. For the short term, a trouble light with a light bulb is the better choice.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2006 at 1:30am
I hate cold weather.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2006 at 9:54pm
just time to break out the sleds!
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 10:55pm
My boat is winterized. We were at the lake the week of Christmas and the temps were in the high 50's and 60's. I wish I had used the "lightbulb" method. That being said, we only make it to the lake ever so often, so that lightbulb would have to have a garantee not to burn out.

Any risk of fire with the lightbulb?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 5:19am
If you are serious about extending your boating season, heaters are made for electrical component enclosures that are outside exposed to the cold. McMaster Carr has several types including fan forced, with or without thermostats, 100 to 800 watts and in $75 to $200 price range. The risk of fire with a light bulb would be if there was gas vapor in the bilge and the light bulb broke.

Rick, Regarding the dipstick heater again, keep in mind these guys are trying to keep the water in the engine from freezing and not trying to keep the oil warm.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
92cc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2007 at 6:07pm
wouldn't there still be a risk of fire with an external heater and gas fumes?I wonder if a lower hose heater installed in engine circulating lower hose would work,they operate like a block heater but install in the lower hose to water pump instead for easier install,then just plug on when needed,and no worries about fire.be sure not to use if water was drained,will ruin heater.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2007 at 7:52pm
It takes the high heat of a spark to ignite gas fumes so I would feel allot safer with a enclosure heater than a light bulb.

The block heater is a excelent idea too but instead of the tank type in the hose, the freeze plug type is direct. With all the different plumbing all our marine engines use the freeze plug would be the safest.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
searider View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2007 at 12:07am
I used a Frost King roof heating cable when the temperature here in South Carolina dropped a few weeks ago. I paid $3 for these things on sale several years ago at Walmart. They are not a big seller in the South.

I wrapped the 40 foot cable around and over the engine and laid it in the bilge. It looks like a gray extension cord and puts out 7 watts per foot. This cable is rated at 280 watts and gave me a temperature difference of 36 degrees.

When the temperature outside was a brisk 22 degrees, this heat cable warmed the engine under the dog box up to 58 degrees. It's safer and more durable than a light bulb and puts out much more heat. Proof shots of the thermometer.

Outside 22 F

Under the Dog Box 58 F

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2007 at 9:27am
Searider, Wow, someone really goofed up the Walmart inventory putting the roof heating tape in South Carolina!! Not a bad idea for the short term. Allot better than the light bulb.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic