NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 Rebuild Cam Questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 302 Rebuild Cam Questions
    Posted: December-09-2023 at 5:34pm
So I am at the point where I'm getting ready to send the motor for my 1956 Collegian project out to the machine shop.

Here's what I've got and what I'm planning to do to it, I haven't ordered any parts yet so I'm not opposed to changes if you guys have recommendations.

I have a mid 90's PCm 302,  The boat has a Port side helm so the motor will be a standard rotation.  After pulling the motor apart I was pleased to see it is a roller block.

I'm going to go with a SCat 332 stroker kit, Forged Crank and Pistons.  Final Compression ratio goal is between 9.5:1 and 10:1.

Heads I'm looking at are Flowtek Aluminum Thumper 185 CC with 60CC chambers.   This combo should get me 9.91:1 with the pistons I've chosen.   Heads are set  up for .550 lift

Intake will be a Low Profile Aluminum, (I don't have the clearance for anything else)

My big question is what to spec the cam at,  I will be going roller but I'm not finding anything Marine spec other than flat tappet cams.  Looks like I'll have to have a custom grind done so I'm really looking for some advice from anyone that's hot rodded a 302.  I will probably not spin this any higher than 5200 and most of it's time will be spent cruising but I want throttle response and a great sounding idle.  Slightly lumpy would be awesome.
TIA
Alan

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2023 at 7:39pm
I would reach out to Cam Research in Englewood, CO.  They are Ford camshaft experts and can do a custom grind for your specific application.  They will also have input on your roller block...should you decide to go roller vs. flat tappet.  Sounds like your 302 will be a very nice engine when completed.

Cam Research Corporation
3881 S. Jason St.
Englewood, CO 80110
Telephone: 303-762-0022

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2023 at 8:46pm
Thanks JQ, are they still in business?  They don’t answer phone or email.  I used a cam from Scott years ago for a 351. 
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2023 at 9:25pm
I last communicated with them back in 2017 or 2018...so I don't know of their current status, sorry.  I just assumed that their business is a going concern.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2023 at 10:05pm
One of the biggest errors in engine building is to get too much camshaft.   This becomes more true in boats.  In a boat a strong idle is very important.   Power is great but a lumpity lump cam will not allow you to idle in the 5 mph zones.   A strong vacuum at idle gives good idle performance.  I would try to keep the vacuum above 15”, a stock cam in a new engine would be close to 20”.  A robust cam might be as low as 8” at idle.
Larger cams all need more idle RPM.   Some not so radical cams need at least 900 RPM to idle and loaded in a boat may stall.   They come on like gang busters above 4,000 RPM but you pay a price for that top end performance.   This information does not get you closer to a part number to order but I hope it helps you order what meets your needs the best.   A knowledgeable cam guy can get you dialed in if you are very clear with what you need in this build.   What RPM do you want for idle speed?  650 RPM is pretty Normal in boats.

What fuel do you plan to run?   On the water Premium gasoline is not always available so you may wish to think on that a little.

I know guys that have very strong cams in boats and they only care about Top Speed and how fast it will get to top speed.   Not normally what owners of a Ski Nautique are after.
A 302 does not offer a lot of toque in stock form so for me I might be looking at a RV type camshaft for a little extra grunt.   Order what you desire and I hope it runs exactly how you wish on the water.
Be prepared, on my recent engine build I was not able to get the exact cam I wanted due to backlogs.   I had to take a cam that was close to what I chose.   Maybe this is getting better as we are mostly past the Covid issues but getting desired parts has been pretty hard recently.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2023 at 8:29am
seems to me the trick will be finding a modest(intake duration under 220)  roller cam that takes advantage of available  lift over 0.500.
if your ok staying 0.500 and then you got some off the shelf options. 
depends if your intake flow continues to climb big after .50, or not

If your ok at 0.500 ish,  a TFS-51403001  or  Lunati 20350120LUN  have my eye

its still going to rip and pull hard everywhere

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2023 at 8:39am

this is intriguing, lift > .500,  215/224 and big 114 LSA,   

COMP Cams Blower and Turbo Camshafts 35-304-8

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2023 at 11:01am
Thanks Gottaski for the research.  I did end getting to talk to Scott at Cam Research, his recommendation was a bit milder than those with lift just shy of .5  and 112 LSA.  Haven’t made a decision yet
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2023 at 3:24pm
So refreshing to see knowledgeable questions and responses as compared to the nonsense on the FB boat pages.  I had my fill and have pretty much given up scrolling those pages anymore.  The answers made my hair hurt.  I hope people (still) appreciate the knowledgebase over here.  Even though some of that knowledge trickles in over there, it is so diluted by the nonsense, there is no way of distinguishing the nonsense from the knowledge by those asking the questions. 
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2023 at 6:25pm
Just from the responses about Facebook, I've never opened a boat page on that site.  Get my accurate info here !!
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
DenDen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenDen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2023 at 6:34am
I am building a 350 and have had the same discussion with quite a few knowledgeable people. Of course, all of them have told me you can’t have everything so pick what is most important and build on that.
Idle seems to be very important in a boat such as the ones we all love and discuss every day on this forum.
I can build a high horsepower kick ass motor. Just don’t put it in a boat.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2023 at 12:47pm
An option when building a 350 is to change the stroke and make it a 383, if doing this for a boat choose an internal balanced crankshaft so you can run all the factory parts for the flywheel and harmonic balancer.  While only 33 cubic inches added the long stroke gives it much more torque which can motivate a boat much better than a 350.   If your engine is older switching to modern heads can add as much as 40 HP.   The newer 350’s with Vortec heads offer much more power and are very close to the aftermarket heads for power up to 5,000 RPM which is perfect for a boat engine.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2023 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I have a mid 90's PCm 302,  The boat has a Port side helm so the motor will be a standard rotation.  After pulling the motor apart I was pleased to see it is a roller block.

I'm going to go with a SCat 332 stroker kit, Forged Crank and Pistons.  Final Compression ratio goal is between 9.5:1 and 10:1.

My big question is what to spec the cam at,  I will be going roller but I'm not finding anything Marine spec other than flat tappet cams.  Looks like I'll have to have a custom grind done so I'm really looking for some advice from anyone that's hot rodded a 302.  I will probably not spin this any higher than 5200 and most of it's time will be spent cruising but I want throttle response and a great sounding idle.  Slightly lumpy would be awesome.
TIA
Alan

Sounds like a good combo.
Built a 331 (nominal) from a 5.0 for a LeMons car. The engine 'math' (rod ratio, etc) is just about ideal. Went with iron GT40 heads (cuz they were sitting around) and a Edelbrock Performer (not 'Plus') manifold, small Holley 4bbl. Have to look up cam specs, but mild. 

Big, flat torque curve, 400 h.p on 91 pump gas. 

Would make a great boat engine. 
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
DenDen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenDen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2023 at 10:49pm
I thought about putting a stroker in it or possibly a big block. I had to change the exhaust anyway. But the reverse rotation kept screwing things up. Have a good transmission with only about 1000 hours on it. Decided to go with the 350 Doing all the normal things to make it run good. Vortex heads a little bigger cam. Protecting that precious idle of course.
I will post all the details on my other thread as I go.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic