NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Automatic Bilge Pumps

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Automatic Bilge Pumps
    Posted: October-19-2006 at 12:53pm
My '93 Sport has two 1100GPH bilge pumps. One in front of the engine, one in the rear below the fuel tank. The pump in the back was not working, So I replaced it. once I had it replaced I switched on the automatic bilge switch and they both started running but the bilge was dry. I thought maybe I wired it wrong so I took out the pump I had just installed, tried the auto bilge and it still ran the pump in the front.?? If my memory serves me right, before i did anything the auto switch would not turn on the pump unless water was in the bilge. The switches are both "Water Witch" brand they don't seem to be a "float" type switch but rather a sensor type switch.??

How are these supposed to work? I am thinking they should work independently from each other in auto mode and switch on if water is detected.

Any idea what went wrong?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 1:18pm
The bilge pump should run for a minute when you first turn on the auto switch, even if there is no water in the bilge. I know my boat and our '92 had the float style switch, so they would only run after that if water got in. The new type on my dad's '03 doesnt work on a float switch and cycles on periodically even if its dry.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 1:53pm
TRB -
Yep, your right. It takes at least a full minute but they shut off...
I'm sure this is covered in the owners mannual that I don't have... My friend, The previous owner is still looking it. If he ever finds it I will scan it and send it to Keith to post in the reference section.
9360SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9360SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 2:25pm
The water dectect circuit should run the pump for 5 sec when key turn on and periodiculy,1 min is too long when bilge is dry.
Go on wakeboard
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 2:26pm
While you guys are on the subject I have to buy a bilge pump. Which is better, the float type switch or the non-float sensor?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 3:17pm
both have their own good and bad points,if the float gets stuck,debris etc.,it will run down your battery and possibly ruin the pump(float type)sensor type cycles at a set timetable,if it senses an increase in "load" it stays on till "load" is removed,not pumping any water.both can kill a battery in a rather short time,my choice is the 3 wire,then you can man. turn it on or a hot wire to a enclosed float switch for times the boat is left to sleep alone in the water...........boat dr
tjlake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjlake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2006 at 3:46pm
Randy, sounds like you've caught "tha boat bug" bad... I know what it's like...keep having fun..Joe
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 11:50am
I have heard that if the two "sensors" on the floatless switch are dirty, then the pumps will stay running. The water witch sensor has two round metal contact patches that when submerged make an electrical contact through the bilge water.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 12:21pm
David, are you saying that the water witch sensor is electrical and other floatless pumps use something different? It would seem like the electric sensors wouldn't allow the pump to keep running but if dirty would possibly not turn on, which is worse!

I'm thinking I'm going to end up using 2 pumps, at least one with float switch and possibly both.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 12:34pm
I guess that is what I am saying. Let me say that I am not 100% on any of this BUT...

I believe there are basically three types of automatic bilge setups:

1. Physical float switch. Fairly basic. The water in the bilge floats a bouyant float that turns on the pumps. When the water level drops the float switches off the pump(s).

2. Automatic pump. basically, the pump activates itself on a set interval. If the pump spins easily (i.e no load), then it turns itself off. If the pump sense a load (meaning water is being pumped) then it runs until the load is removed (no water).

3. Electronic sensor (i.e. Water witch). The sensor is sort of like a moisture meter. The sensor has two probes (really two electrical contact patches about 1/2" apart from each other). If water bridges the two contact patches, then the switch is activated and turns on the pump. Once the water level drops and contact patches are not connected with water, the pump stops. HOWEVER, I have heard that oily water can leave a "bridge" of slime/crud that permanantly keeps the two patches electrically connected.

I hope all that makes sense.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 2:03pm
Thanks David, that clears it up for me. I certainly don't want #2, something that has to turn on to learn that it doesn't have to turn on doesn't make much sense to me.

I have a pump now with a separate float switch. I of course left a hose in the wrong place and obstructed the float earlier this summer, and ended up with water in the boat. It made me wonder if I wanted a pump with a sensor or self contained float instead. I think I'll keep the existing setup and buy a 2nd pump with integral float.

I realize it sounds stupid to have redundant pumps just because I screwed up once, but I'd actually feel better with the 2 pumps anyway. By the way, this is not for my CC (which stays dry as a bone), its for a jet boat that has some water leakage issues.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 4:30pm
hmmm, I think I need to clean my contacts... maybe dirty/oily. I spilled some tranny fluid in the bilge, i have since cleaned it out but did not pay much attention to these sensors.

Thanks David

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 8:17am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Thanks David, that clears it up for me. I certainly don't want #2, something that has to turn on to learn that it doesn't have to turn on doesn't make much sense to me.

About as much sense as clicking the START button to shutdown your computer. There's my Microsoft dig for the day. I feel better already
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic